PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Szymusiak surname
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:33 pm      Post subject:

I have a SZYMUSIAK question that someone may hold an answer to. It actually begins with a young woman named Mary(Maria) Papierz, who arrived in the US on 2/12/1913 aboard the Kaiser Wilhelm II. She was on her way to Chicago, and her aunt Sophie Urszulak(Orszulak), at 1856 W. 18th Pl. in Chicago, IL. Cannot find any record of Mary's marriage, however in the 1920 census, she was a widow, and her married name was Szymusiak. Along with her 1 1/2 yr old daughter, she was living with John & Nellie(Angela) Kaczmarczyk at 2235 W 18th Pl in Chicago, IL. Angela's maiden name was Orszulak; daughter of Joseph Orszulak and Anna Sperla. I found an obituary listing at the PGSA site for a Maria Ozmina, prior names Papierz/Szymusiak, who died 2/16/1955. In the 1940 census, there was a Mary Ozminea married to Sylvester. In addition, there was a daughter, Helen, who was 21 yrs old(1918?), birthplace Pennsylvania. So, does anybody know who Mary's Szymusiak husband was? Someone who appears to have died between 1917 and 1920?? Were they married in Chicago or Pennsylvania, etc, etc. Any help is always appreciated.
Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:16 pm      Post subject:

Joe,
I imagine that you've already looked in the Cook County records, though I imagine the Szymusiak name could lend itself to some creative spellings in an index. I tried the Pennsylvania death record index. There is a James Szymusiak that died 22 Feb 1919 in Westmd. Co. That must be Westmoreland County. There is a John Szymoszek that died 20 Oct 1918 in Scranton, and a Stanislaw Szamusek that died 5 Oct 1918 in Easton.

There is a WWI draft registration for James Szymusiak in Mt. Pleasant, PA, but I can't read anything besides his name, and Mt. Pleasant on it. The WWI index has him born 3 Dec 1895.

I found a marriage record for a Jim Szymusiak and a Mary Papicez in Westmoreland County. Looks like maybe it was Mary's surname was the one that got messed up in the index. I think the license was issued 10/16/1917, the license #43794. This is where I found this information:
http://westmorelandweb400.us:8088/EGSPublicAccess.htm
Cheri
P.S. Does the English first name James = Jakub? That is the information I have seen online, though I know anyone could have chosen any name. I am curious, because I was trying to find him on a ship manifest.
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:54 pm      Post subject:

Joe,
Now I see the draft registration for James/Jim Szymusiak at Family Search. It's light, but I can make it out better. He was single at the time of registration. He was employed by H.C. Frick Coke Co. in Mammoth. He worked as a miner, so maybe that was why he died at such a young age. They have him indexed as born in Csike, Galicia, but maybe it is Ciche. There is a Jacenty Simuszak from Ciche who was 18 when he arrived at Ellis Island in 1913. Seems like he was born about the time James/Jim Szymusiak was born, so this might be him.
jkoloj

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:14 pm      Post subject:

Cheri,

Thanks for your efforts. Certainly seems like the correct info for the marriage of Mary and James Szymusiak...the year appears to fit in with the other info I had, plus the additional info from the WW I registration. What exactly is the "Pennsylvania Death Record Index" and where is it? Are those records available on FamilySearch; if so I must have overlooked them somehow. As far as James/Jacub...there are several sources that suggest that they derive from the same source, such as the following: http://www.behindthename.com/name/jacob http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_(name) In my family research, those that originally had the name Jacub converted over to Jacob in the US

Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 am      Post subject:

Joe,
You didn't miss anything at Family Search. The State of Pennsylvania has indexed death records from 1906-1962 at this site: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/death_certificates/14122
They charge $3. for a copy of a death certificate from these years. The certificate number from the death indices needs to be included. The number for James Szymusiak is 23490.

Since Maria first came to Chicago, I would have started looking for a marriage record there. But since I know that you know where to look in Cook County, I thought you must have exhausted searching the records there. It is curious how she might have came to live in Pennsylvania (not hard to figure out why she'd go back to family in Chicago after James died). Seems as if James had been in Chicago, they would have married there. It really helped that you gave so much information - the fact that a child was born in Pennsylvania

There were at least three other Szymusiaks from Ciche that lived in that area of Pennsylvania. I'm not sure how Jozef and Wojciech were related. Jacenty was going to his brother Jedrzej - I think that's what it says. Oh, and it says that he is from Ciche, Russia. I don't believe that is correct. Maybe the emigrants above him are from Russia, because Jacenty did have ditto marks referring to Russia. I do think this is the James/Jim from the the WWI registration, and he is from Ciche, Galicia, Austria.

I haven't run across too many with the name James that came from Poland. Usually I have seen Jakub using the English variation Jacob. I read that the English variation of Jacenty is Hyacinth, and since that is a rare name, perhaps Jacenty chose to use James/Jim.
Cheri
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:44 pm      Post subject:

At Findagrave there is a Jacenty Szymusiak (inscription in Polish), born Dec. 1895, died Feb. 22, 1913, buried in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Calumet, Westmoreland County, PA.

Cheri~ I think this might be the Jacenty you found arriving at Ellis Island in 1913, although you didn't say when he arrived in 1913. If after Feb. 22 then maybe Jacenty is Joseph. ~PL
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 pm      Post subject:

Thanks PL,
The Jacenty Simuszak that I thought was James/Jim Szymusiak arrived at Ellis Island on June 14, 1913. It's interesting that you found a Jacenty Szymusiak that was born the same year.

I'm not as comfortable thinking that the Jacenty that arrived 14 Jun 1913 was born in Ciche, Galicia, Austria, when the manifest has the ditto marks for Russia. I feel that I need to find more. Since I thought that it said Jacenty was going to his brother Jedrzej, I went looking for a passenger record for a Jedrzej Szymusiak. So far I have only found a Jedrzej Szymaszak whose birth place is Wola Mala. Unfortunately Jacenty's contact in Poland only has the information that he lives in Ciche - the village location wasn't identified further.
Cheri
GenGirl

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:17 pm      Post subject: James Szymusiak

James Szymusiak was my grandfather. He was from Ciche, Poland. My grandmother, Mary, was from the neighboring village, Chocholow. Mary arrived in NY on Feb. 12, 1913. She lived with aunt Zofia Orszulak at 1756 W. 18th Pl. in Chicago. James arrived in NY on June 14, 1913, en route to join his brother in PA to work in the coal mines. It is my understanding that James came to Chicago to see Mary and asked her to come to PA with him to get married. They were married in 1917. The next year, my mother was born, and 6 months later, James was killed in a mining accident when he was 23 years old. He was buried at St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Calumet, PA. The following year, his brother, Andrew, was killed in a mining accident. He, too, was buried at St. Stanislaus Cemetery.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:30 am      Post subject:

GenGirl,
I have a question concerning your grandmother Mary's aunt Zofia Orszulak in Chicago. Was Orszulak her married name or her maiden name? Do you know who Zofia Orszulak's parents were?
I have Dlugopolski from Dlugopole near Nowy Targ (not far away from Ciche/Chocholow) in my family tree and found out that a 'Rofia Orszulak', b abt. 1893, married a Jan Dlugopolski, b abt. 1887 on 11 Jan 1917 in Chicago. They had a daughter Irene Dlugopolski, b 17 Dec 1917 in Chicago who died 04 Sep 1921. The family's residence was at 1758, W. 19th St., Chicago when Irene died.
There is another marriage of Orszulak, Zofia, daughter of Michal Orszulak and Agnieska Banas, to Bachara, Szymon, son of Jan Bachara and Maryanna Pysek, 9-17-1906, St. John Cantius Church, Chicago. However, this Zofia Orszulak was from the pow. of Dabrowa, Galicia and not from Ciche or Chocholow in the district of Nowy Targ.
Ute
GenGirl

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:03 am      Post subject: Sophie Orszulak

Ute,
I do not have any definitive answers regarding Zofia Orszulak. My guess is that she may have been single in 1913. A cousin, Alexandra Papierz, arrived the following year and lived with her, as well. I have found some boat logs that may be Sophie's. I'll have to look them over again.
GenGirl

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:33 am      Post subject: Zofia Orszulak

I found a ship log for a Zofia Orszulak, single, age 18, from Ciche, sailing from Antwerp Oct. 23, 1909 on the Lapland. Her father was listed as Jan Orszulak of Ciche. She was going to Chicago, IL.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:58 pm      Post subject: Re: Zofia Orszulak

GenGirl wrote:
I found a ship log for a Zofia Orszulak, single, age 18, from Ciche, sailing from Antwerp Oct. 23, 1909 on the Lapland. Her father was listed as Jan Orszulak of Ciche. She was going to Chicago, IL.

Okay, I have Zofia's Orszulak's passenger record. I just wished it would say something about who she was going to join in Chicago. I really wonder where she fits in. Her father was Jan Orszulak from Ciche? A Jan Orszulak from Ciche had a son Jozef Orszulak who married Anna Sperla and lived in Chicago. I put together what I was able to find on the descendants of this Jan Orszulak from Ciche so far. I'm sure there is more, but I have to quit for now, my head starts spinning from looking at the screen too long.

The surnames Kaczmarczyk/Kaczmarek and Mateja are in my family tree as well, e.g., Sophia Bryjak, daughter of Rozalia 'Rose' Matyja/Mateja from Odrowaz and Pjotr Bryjak from Dlugopole, married a [Russell??] Kaczmarczyk/Kaczmarek. I would like to find out if the families are connected. Any help/additions/corrections are appreciated.

Descendants of Jan ORSZULAK from Ciche

Generation 1

1. JAN1 ORSZULAK was born in Ciche, Galicia, Austria (now Poland).

Jan ORSZULAK had the following child:
2. i. JOSEPH2 ORSZULAK was born in 1861 in Ciche. He died on 30 Oct 1937 in Chicago. He married Anna SPERLA in 1886 in Austria-Poland. She was born about 1867 in Austria-Poland. She died on 13 Apr 1916 in Chicago.

Generation 2
2. JOSEPH2 ORSZULAK (Jan1) was born in 1861 in Ciche. He died on 30 Oct 1937 in Chicago. He married Anna SPERLA in 1886 in Austria-Poland. She was born about 1867 in Austria-Poland. She died on 13 Apr 1916 in Chicago.

Notes for Anna SPERLA:
Anna Orszulak (married name) arrived in New York on Sep 22, 1894 , port of departure Hamburg, ship of travel Taormina (1884); accompanied by her children Marianna (6) and Antonia (3), country of which they are citizens: Austria, last residence abroad looks like 'Minduery' or 'Mindsery', they are on their way to Chicago.

Joseph ORSZULAK and Anna SPERLA had the following children:

3. i. MARYANNA 'MARY'3 ORSZULAK was born in Jul 1886 in Austria-Poland. She died on 1 Oct 1967. She married ANDREW MATEJA. He was born on 28 Aug 1881 in Poland. He died on 21 Nov 1965 in Chicago.

ii. ANTONIA 'ANTOINETTE' ORSZULAK was born in Sep 1888 in Austria-Poland. She married N.N. KAPUSCIARZ.

4. iii. ANIELA 'ANGELINE' 'NELLIE' ORSZULAK was born on 11 Feb 1895 in Chicago. She died on 09 Nov 1966 in Chicago. She married Jan 'John' KACZMARCZYK or KACZMAREK, son of Jan KACZMARCZYK and Katarzyna MIETUS on 14 Oct 1911 in Chicago. He was born on 30 Jun 1890 in Austria-Poland. He died on 27 May 1976 in Chicago.

Generation 3
3. MARYANNA 'MARY'3 ORSZULAK (Joseph2, Jan1) was born in Jul 1886 in Austria-Poland. She died on
01 Oct 1967. She married ANDREW MATEJA. He was born on 28 Aug 1881 in Poland. He died on 21 Nov 1965 in Chicago.

Andrew MATEJA and Maryanna 'Mary' ORSZULAK had the following children:

i. ROZALIA 'ROSE'4 MATEJA was born about 1905 in Illinois. She married JOSEPH KACZMAREK.

ii. GENEVIEVE 'JEAN' MATEJA was born about 1907 in Illinois. She married STEVE JANICZEK.

iii. ESTELLE 'STELLA' MATEJA was born on 30 Oct 1908. She died on 09 Aug 2001 in La Grange, Cook, Illinois. She married JOHN ZENDLOCK.

5. iv. FLORENCE S. MATEJA was born about 1911 in Illinois, USA. She died on 31 Jul 1966 in Brookfield, Illinois. She married JOHN STOZEK. He died before 22 Jul 1972.

v. EMILY MATEJA was born about 1915 in Illinois. She married DARREL STRAH.

6. vi. JOSEPH S. MATEJA was born on 24 Feb 1918 in Chicago. He died on 19 Jun 1975 in Chicago. He married KITTY N.N.

vii. GEORGE MATEJA. He died on 22 Jul 1972 in Chicago. Notes for George MATEJA: Attended St. Cyril and Methodius Church, Chicago.

viii. IRENE MATEJA. She married EDWARD HAMOT.

4. ANIELA 'ANGELINE' 'NELLIE'3 ORSZULAK (Joseph2, Jan1) was born on 11 Feb 1895 in Chicago. She died on 09 Nov 1966 in Chicago. She married Jan 'John' KACZMARCZYK or KACZMAREK, son of Jan KACZMARCZYK and Katarzyna MIETUS on 14 Oct 1911 in Chicago. He was born on 30 Jun 1890 in Austria-Polamd [Dlugopole ?]. He died on 27 May 1976 in Chicago.

Jan 'John' KACZMARCZYK or KACZMAREK and Aniela 'Angeline' 'Nellie' ORSZULAK had the following children:

i. EMILY4 KACZMARCZYK OR KACZMAREK was born on 05 Aug 1912 in Chicago. She died on 30 Sep 2001 in St. Petersburg, Pinellas, Florida. She married EDWARD GARLYCZAK.

8. ii. ROSE KACZMARCZYK OR KACZMAREK was born on 14 Sep 1917 in Chicago. She died on 06 Jun 2000 in Elmhurst, Du Page, Illinois. She married JOSEPH KREMPA. He died on 03 May 1961 in Chicago.

9. iii. IRENE KACZMARCZYK OR KACZMAREK was born on 18 Aug 1920 in Chicago. She died on 09 Aug 1998 in Naperville, Du Page, Illinois. She married WALTER JOSEPH KWIT. He was born on 14 Jan 1914. He died on 09 May 1983 in Cook County, Illinois.

iv. JOHN RAYMOND KACZMARCZYK OR KACZMAREK was born on 14 Oct 1922 in Chicago. He died on 03 Oct 2007 in Park Forest, Cook, Illinois. He married LILLIAN N.N.

v. GENEVIEVE KACZMARCZYK OR KACZMAREK was born on 10 Jul 1924 in Chicago. She died on 23 Oct 2010 in Orland Park, Cook, Illinois. She married STEVE KRZYSTOFIAK.

vi. N.N. KACZMARCZYK was born on 13 Feb 1931 in Chicago and died on 13 Feb 1931 in Chicago.

Generation 4
5. FLORENCE S.4 MATEJA (Maryanna 'Mary'3 ORSZULAK, Joseph2 ORSZULAK, Jan1 ORSZULAK) was born about 1911 in Illinois. She died on 31 Jul 1966 in Brookfield, Illinois. She married JOHN STOZEK. He died before 22 Jul 1972.

John STOZEK and Florence S. MATEJA had the following children:

i. SANDRA5 STOZEK. She married DONALD BARTYZEL.

ii. CONRAD STOZEK.

6. JOSEPH S.4 MATEJA (Maryanna 'Mary'3 ORSZULAK, Joseph2 ORSZULAK, Jan1 ORSZULAK) was born on 24 Feb 1918 in Chicago. He died on 19 Jun 1975 in Chicago. He married KITTY N.N.

Joseph S. MATEJA and Kitty N.N had the following children:

i. DREW5 MATEJA.

ii. MARIA MATEJA.

iii. DANNY MATEJA.

iv. DEAN MATEJA.

v. KEVIN MATEJA.

7. ROSE4 KACZMARCZYK OR KACZMAREK (Aniela 'Angeline' 'Nellie'3 ORSZULAK, Joseph2 ORSZULAK, Jan1 ORSZULAK) was born on 14 Sep 1917 in Chicago. She died on 06 Jun 2000 in Elmhurst, Du Page, Illinois. She married JOSEPH KREMPA. He died on 03 May 1961 in Chicago.

Joseph KREMPA and Rose KACZMARCZYK or KACZMAREK had the following children:

i. WALTER5 KREMPA.

ii. CHESTER KREMPA. He married TESSIE N.N.

8. IRENE4 KACZMARCZYK OR KACZMAREK (Aniela 'Angeline' 'Nellie'3 ORSZULAK, Joseph2 ORSZULAK, Jan1 ORSZULAK) was born on 18 Aug 1920 in Chicago. She died on 9 Aug 1998 in Naperville, Du Page, Illinois. She married WALTER JOSEPH KWIT. He was born on 14 Jan 1914. He died on 09 May 1983 in Cook County, Illinois.

Walter Joseph KWIT and Irene KACZMARCZYK or KACZMAREK had the following children:

i. JEROME KWIT.

ii. LEONARD KWIT.

iii. LINDA KWIT. She married N.N. ROMINE.

iv. JANICE KWIT. She married ALAN HOVING.

Last edited by Ute on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:47 pm; edited 6 times in total
GenGirl

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:45 pm      Post subject:

In 1913, Mary Papierz lived at the Chicago residence of Zofia Orszulak, (b. abt. 1891 per ship log). If this is the correct ship log, then Zofia's dad was Jan Orszulak. After the death of her husband, Mary Papierz Szymusiak, b. 1896, was living at the same Chicago residence of Nellie Orszulak Kaczmarczyk, b. 1895. Nellie's grandfather was Jan Orszulak. Do you think that Zofia and Nellie were aunt & niece?
jkoloj

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:22 pm      Post subject: Additional info/records

Following up with the last few posts, I have the following info to offer, and I do have baptismal/marriage record entries(.jpeg) from St Adalberts for all of these
Children of Andrew Mateja & Mary Orzulak
Rosalia born 8/4/1904; Genevieve born 12/16/1906; Florence born 1/25/1911; Joseph born 2/24/1918; Edward born 1/19/1920; and Irene born 9/10/1921
Addl note. Rose Mateja's baptismal record shows her marriage to Joseph Kaczmarek in 1945, however her name was shown in the notes as "Rose Mateja-Kenar", perhaps indicating a prior marriage?
Children of Adalbert Kocanda & Angela Mateja
John born 2/15/1917; Bronislava born 11/20/1919, Valeria born 2/16/1927
Child of John Kaczmarek & Nellie Orzulak
Rosalia born 9/14/1917
Aemila(Emily)Strah, nee Mateja born 9/9/1914; died 3/4/1998
Sylvester Ozmina marriage to Maria Szymusiak, nee Papierz on 9/27/1924. Mary(the widow of James Szymusiak) was the daughter of Matthias Papierz and Regina Orzulak.
John Dlugopolski marriage to Sophia Orzulak on 12/17/1917. John was from Odrowaz and was 30 yrs old, Sophia was from Ciche and was 24 yrs old. John's parents were Jacob and Francisca Dzielka and Sophia's parent's were Andreas and Catherina Urhot.

Send e-mail
GenGirl

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:36 pm      Post subject:

Thanks to all for the info. I can add that the mother of Mary Papierz Szymusiak Ozmina, Regina Orszulak, and the mother of Alexandra Papierz Gall, Rosalia Orszulak, were sisters. The 2 sisters married 2 brothers: Regina married Maczyi (Maciej) Papierz, and Rosalia married Jedrzej (Andrew) Papierz. Both Mary and Alexandra lived with Sophie for a time. Alexandra married Jan Gal (John Gall) at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago, on Sept. 25, 1920. When my grandmother, Mary Ozmina died in 1955, her mother, Regina, was alive in Poland. Does anyone know how Sophie Orszulak (daughter of Andrew),and Nellie Orszulak (daughter of Joseph) are related?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 2 of 4

Jump to: