PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Szymusiak surname
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:13 am      Post subject:

This is beginning to sound like a Facebook discussion we had earlier this year. In 2008 I met a man named Stanley Gall through Ancestry.com. Stanley Gall's father was born in Odrowaz. His family emigrated to Chicago, but Stanley had retired to Florida. He was in his 80's and we only spoke 2 times. I think he may have passed away last year.

He had brothers in Chicago - I think he said one brother was a cab driver. I sketched out his tree through the few notes I took when we talked and from any information we had from Odrowaz births.

This tree is only a draft, and meant to spark some discussions about the information. Stanley was providing information from what he remembered about his family.

This is what I have from my conversations with Stanley. Information in [brackets] was added by me as I tried to organize the information:

Stan Gal, 82 yr old [born @1927?]. His father was Jan Gal, born 1892 in Odrowaz. Jan’s parents were Frantiszek Gal and Anna Czepiel [or may be Czupta - see message later in this thread].

Jan Gal b. 1892 Odrowaz. Jan was the oldest child. His siblings:
Henrietta [born in Pennsylvania?]
Jozef born in Pennsylvania
Andrew [born in ?]
Michal [born in ?]
Frank – born in Poland.

The family went to the US in 1894 when Jan was 2yr old. All went back to Odrowaz several years later. Then he [not sure if this meant Jan] wanted to come back again – went to Ohio/Army WWI – then drove taxi in Chicago for 11yrs. Stan said he [Jan?] helped a lot of people from Poland get settled in the US.

Stan’s uncle died in coal mine in Uniontown area. His name was Syzmusiak [see message at the bottom of this document, I think this Syzmusiak is related to Stan’s mother’s side, the Papierz the family.

[Jan’s wife?] Alexandra Papierz born 14 Feb 1898. She died 07 Dec 1977 in Chicago (this death info was written later in pencil, so I must have done some investigating after my talk with Stan Gall].

Children of Jan Gal [dates in brackets are my guesses, There were probably more than 3 kids, but this is all he spoke about during our short conversation]
Jan Gal Jr: 6 yr older than Stan – born in Chicago [b. 1921?] and died 6 yr ago [2003?]. My notes say that his wife was named Ohab (spelling?)

Ladislaw [Walter] Gal: 3 yr older than Stan – born in Chicago [b. 1924?] and died 3 yr ago [2006?]

Stanley Gal – 82 yr old [b.1927?] He has 2 daughters, 2 sons and 8 grandchildren

Stanley visited Odrowaz [1980’s?] and priest gave him his father’s birth info. Stan’s grandmother died 6 mo. before his father died in 1956 [Not sure which grandmother, but I think it was his paternal grandmother]

Stan said his father had a cousin Gal and she married a Kois and had 16 children [not sure if they went to US or stayed in Poland]. Her sister married Sokski (sorry, it was scribbled] and another married a Smolinski.

In the summer of 2009, right before my first trip to Poland, I got this message from Stanley:

Hello Shellie
Not to long ago you sent me an e-mail about the Gal family. I just recieved an e-mail from Helene Nedoba. Her grandmother was married to Symusiak who i believe died in a mine accident. Mary Szymusiak nee Papierz and my mother were like sisters. They were raised by the grandmother. The story as I remember it (I'm 82 years old) was that aunt Mary who I remember very well because she and my mother were very close. They were raised by their grandmother be cause their parents who were two brothers who married two sisters, went to Budapest to work. They lived in Choholov which by the way is not to far from Odrowaz. If you are going to Odrowaz be sure to go there, it a beutiful village. Also when you are in Odrowas go to the church and ask the priest for a book of the history Odrowas, I think it was partially writen by a Szymusiak. I was there two years ago. My father Jan Gal was born there. My grandfather Francisek Gal was maried to Anna Ciepil. Also be sure to go to Zakopane. I hope you have a great trip. Stan Gall

My genealogy cousins and I have had some back and forth discussions about the mother of Franciszek Gal. My notes and email from Stanley say her name is Anna Ciepil / Czepiel but the birth record looks like Czupta. I believe Stanley has passed away so I am unable to confirm what he told me and my original notes have been misplaced!

Stanley Gall family tree (from notes taken during phone call and birth records).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.57 KB
 Viewed:  10912 Time(s)

Stanley Gall family tree (from notes taken during phone call and birth records).png

Gal, Jan b 18JUN1892 Odrowaz Podhalanski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.58 KB
 Viewed:  10912 Time(s)

Gal, Jan b 18JUN1892 Odrowaz Podhalanski.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:24 am; edited 3 times in total
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:33 am      Post subject: Re: Additional info/records

jkoloj wrote:
Following up with the last few posts, I have the following info to offer, and I do have baptismal/marriage record entries(.jpeg) from St Adalberts for all of these
Children of Andrew Mateja & Mary Orzulak
Rosalia born 8/4/1904; Genevieve born 12/16/1906; Florence born 1/25/1911; Joseph born 2/24/1918; Edward born 1/19/1920; and Irene born 9/10/1921
Addl note. Rose Mateja's baptismal record shows her marriage to Joseph Kaczmarek in 1945, however her name was shown in the notes as "Rose Mateja-Kenar", perhaps indicating a prior marriage?
Children of Adalbert Kocanda & Angela Mateja
John born 2/15/1917; Bronislava born 11/20/1919, Valeria born 2/16/1927
Child of John Kaczmarek & Nellie Orzulak
Rosalia born 9/14/1917
Aemila(Emily)Strah, nee Mateja born 9/9/1914; died 3/4/1998
Sylvester Ozmina marriage to Maria Szymusiak, nee Papierz on 9/27/1924. Mary(the widow of James Szymusiak) was the daughter of Matthias Papierz and Regina Orzulak.
John Dlugopolski marriage to Sophia Orzulak on 12/17/1917. John was from Odrowaz and was 30 yrs old, Sophia was from Ciche and was 24 yrs old. John's parents were Jacob and Francisca Dzielka and Sophia's parent's were Andreas and Catherina Urhot.

Joe,
Thanks a lot for the additional information you provided, it was really helpful.
With regard to your note for Rose Mateja, shown in the notes as "Rose Mateja-Kenar", I have the following updates now:
ROZALIA 'ROSE' MATEJA was born on 04 Aug 1904 in Illinois. She married JOSEPH J. KACZMAREK in 1945. You were right, it was the second marriage for both of them.
Joseph J. Kaczmarek’s first marriage was to Mary Gogela or Cogola, their children were Edward and Ernest Kaczmarek. Mary died in 1942, interment Resurrection. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1942-04-05.
Rose Mateja’s first marriage was to Joseph J. Kenar, son of Mary Kenar, brother of Stella Kogut, Ann Jarosz, Stanley, and William. Joseph J. Kenar died on 29 July 1942, interment Resurrection. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1942-08-01. It seems that the couple had no children.
Rose Mateja’s second husband, Joseph J. Kaczmarek, was born on 01 Dec 1902 and died in Feb 1976 at age 74, interment Resurrection. According to the SSDI his last residence was Cook, Illinois, 60609. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1976-02-13. According to the obituary, his siblings were Bernice Kaczmarek (married to Bob Mack); Marian Kaczmarek (married to Sophie); Frank Kaczmarek, and Bruno Kaczmarek (married to Marie). It seems that Rose Mateja and Joseph J. Kaczmarek had no children. The obituary only lists Edward and Ernest Kaczmarek from Joseph’s first marriage to Mary.
Unfortunately, Joseph J. Kaczmarek’s parents’ names are not given, it would have been interesting to see which Kaczmarek family he belonged to. But there is an obituary in the Chicago Tribune 1965-06-30 for Pearl J. Kaczmarek, nee Knapkiewicz, mother of Joseph [Rose M.], Bernice [William Mack], Marion [Sophie], Frank, and Bruno [Marie]; dear mother-in-law of Bernice Kaczmarek. Interment Resurrection. There must have been another son, Walter S. Kaczmarek, who died in 1961, Interment Resurrection. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1961-05-12. According to the obituary, he lived resp. died at Hawthorne, Cal. and was the son of Pearl, nee Knapklewicz; brother of Joseph [Rose], Bernice [William] Mack, Marion [Sophie], Frank, and Bruno [Marie]. His father's name is not given.

I'm curious as to the information you provided on Adalbert Kocanda & Angela Mateja resp. their children John born 2/15/1917; Bronislava born 11/20/1919, and Valeria born 2/16/1927: Whose daughter was Angela Mateja?
My first degree cousin Peter Bryjak, son of Andrzej Bryjak and Anna Kowalkowska from Dlugopole, married Rozalia 'Rose' Matyja/Mateja, daughter of Jan Matyja and Agnes Lás, on 08 May 1906 in Chicago. Rose was born abt. 1884 in Odrowaz and died in July 1975 in Chicago, interment Holy Cross. Peter was born in Jan 1885 in Dlugopole and died in Apr 1967 in Chicago. According to Rose Mateja-Bryjak's obituary, she was the mother of Andrew, John, Joseph, Peter, Frank, Agnes Snyder, and Sophie Kaczmarek and the sister of Angeline Kocanda.

There was an obituary in the Chicago Tribune of 1977-12-14 for Angeline Kocanda, interment Queen of Heaven. According to the obituary she was the wife of the late Albert and the mother of John (Loretta), Bernice (Michael) Federowicz, and Valerie Michelli. She seems to be the Angela Mateja who married Adalbert Kocanda.
I haven't found their church marriage record yet with their parents' names. I wonder if Angeline/Angela was my cousin's wife's (Rose Mateja-Bryjak's) sister and if maybe Albert/Wojciech Kocanda was the son of Kanty Kocanda, born on October 12, 1858 in Zaluczne, and Anna Majchrowicz, born abt 1865 in Zaluczne or Odrowaz who had the children Wojciech/Adalbert/Albert; Fabian; Aniela/Nellie/Annie; and John.
As always, additions/corrections would be most appreciated!

Last edited by Ute on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shellie

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:35 am      Post subject:

Hi Ute,
I spotted the name Fabian Kocanda and the surname Majchrowicz in your message above and it reminded me of long discussion about this family:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=432&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
jkoloj

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:51 pm      Post subject: Re: Additional info/records

Ute wrote:
jkoloj wrote:
Following up with the last few posts, I have the following info to offer, and I do have baptismal/marriage record entries(.jpeg) from St Adalberts for all of these
Children of Andrew Mateja & Mary Orzulak
Rosalia born 8/4/1904; Genevieve born 12/16/1906; Florence born 1/25/1911; Joseph born 2/24/1918; Edward born 1/19/1920; and Irene born 9/10/1921
Addl note. Rose Mateja's baptismal record shows her marriage to Joseph Kaczmarek in 1945, however her name was shown in the notes as "Rose Mateja-Kenar", perhaps indicating a prior marriage?
Children of Adalbert Kocanda & Angela Mateja
John born 2/15/1917; Bronislava born 11/20/1919, Valeria born 2/16/1927
Child of John Kaczmarek & Nellie Orzulak
Rosalia born 9/14/1917
Aemila(Emily)Strah, nee Mateja born 9/9/1914; died 3/4/1998
Sylvester Ozmina marriage to Maria Szymusiak, nee Papierz on 9/27/1924. Mary(the widow of James Szymusiak) was the daughter of Matthias Papierz and Regina Orzulak.
John Dlugopolski marriage to Sophia Orzulak on 12/17/1917. John was from Odrowaz and was 30 yrs old, Sophia was from Ciche and was 24 yrs old. John's parents were Jacob and Francisca Dzielka and Sophia's parent's were Andreas and Catherina Urhot.

Joe,
Thanks a lot for the additional information you provided, it was really helpful.
With regard to your note for Rose Mateja, shown in the notes as "Rose Mateja-Kenar", I have the following updates now:
ROZALIA 'ROSE' MATEJA was born on 04 Aug 1904 in Illinois. She married JOSEPH J. KACZMAREK in 1945. You were right, it was the second marriage for both of them.
Joseph J. Kaczmarek’s first marriage was to Mary Gogela or Cogola, their children were Edward and Ernest Kaczmarek. Mary died in 1942, interment Resurrection. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1942-04-05.
Rose Mateja’s first marriage was to Joseph J. Kenar, son of Mary Kenar, brother of Stella Kogut, Ann Jarosz, Stanley, and William. Joseph J. Kenar died on 29 July 1942, interment Resurrection. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1942-08-01. It seems that the couple had no children.
Rose Mateja’s second husband, Joseph J. Kaczmarek, was born on 01 Dec 1902 and died in Feb 1976 at age 74, interment Resurrection. According to the SSDI his last residence was Cook, Illinois, 60609. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1976-02-13. According to the obituary, his siblings were Bernice Kaczmarek (married to Bob Mack); Marian Kaczmarek (married to Sophie); Frank Kaczmarek, and Bruno Kaczmarek (married to Marie). It seems that Rose Mateja and Joseph J. Kaczmarek had no children. The obituary only lists Edward and Ernest Kaczmarek from Joseph’s first marriage to Mary.
Unfortunately, Joseph J. Kaczmarek’s parents’ names are not given, it would have been interesting to see which Kaczmarek family he belonged to. But there is an obituary in the Chicago Tribune 1965-06-30 for Pearl J. Kaczmarek, nee Knapkiewicz, mother of Joseph [Rose M.], Bernice [William Mack], Marion [Sophie], Frank, and Bruno [Marie]; dear mother-in-law of Bernice Kaczmarek. Interment Resurrection. There must have been another son, Walter S. Kaczmarek, who died in 1961, Interment Resurrection. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1961-05-12. According to the obituary, he lived resp. died at Hawthorne, Cal. and was the son of Pearl, nee Knapklewicz; brother of Joseph [Rose], Bernice [William] Mack, Marion [Sophie], Frank, and Bruno [Marie]. His father's name is not given.

I'm curious as to the information you provided on Adalbert Kocanda & Angela Mateja resp. their children John born 2/15/1917; Bronislava born 11/20/1919, and Valeria born 2/16/1927: Whose daughter was Angela Mateja?
My first degree cousin Peter Bryjak, son of Andrzej Bryjak and Anna Kowalkowska from Dlugopole, married Rozalia 'Rose' Matyja/Mateja, daughter of Jan Matyja and Agnes Lás, on 08 May 1906 in Chicago. Rose was born abt. 1884 in Odrowaz and died in July 1975 in Chicago, interment Holy Cross. Peter was born in Jan 1885 in Dlugopole and died in Apr 1967 in Chicago. According to Rose Mateja-Bryjak's obituary, she was the mother of Andrew, John, Joseph, Peter, Frank, Agnes Snyder, and Sophie Kaczmarek and the sister of Angeline Kocanda.

There was an obituary in the Chicago Tribune of 1977-12-14 for Angeline Kocanda, interment Queen of Heaven. According to the obituary she was the wife of the late Albert and the mother of John (Loretta), Bernice (Michael) Federowicz, and Valerie Michelli. She seems to be the Angela Mateja who married Adalbert Kocanda.
I haven't found their church marriage record yet with their parents' names. I wonder if Angeline/Angela was my cousin's wife's (Rose Mateja-Bryjak's) sister and if maybe Albert/Wojciech Kocanda was the son of Kanty Kocanda, born on October 12, 1858 in Zaluczne, and Anna Majchrowicz, born abt 1865 in Zaluczne or Odrowaz who had the children Wojciech/Adalbert/Albert; Fabian; Aniela/Nellie/Annie; and John.
As always, additions/corrections would be most appreciated!

Send e-mail
jkoloj

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:00 pm      Post subject: Angela Mateja's parents

Adalbert Kocanda(born in Odrowaz)was the son of John & Anne Majchrowicz(sp?) and he married Angela Mateja(also born in Odrowaz) on 5/20/1916 at St. Adalbert's in Chicago. She was the daughter of John & Agnes Las. The marriage witnesses were Fabian Kocanda and Joseph Mateja...seems odd to have to male names but that's the way it reads, but maybe Joseph was actually supposed to be Josepha. In a related marriage, John Mateja,(son of John and Agnes Las) married Carol Kocenda(Kocanda?)(daughter of Andreas and Trca Stopka) on 10/27/1912. John was from Odrowaz, but Carol was from Zaluczne. Witnesses were Hyacinth Gal and Agnes Gal.
Per the PGSA database, Adalbert(Wojciech) died on 10/5/1969.
I also found a marriage record for Adalbert's brother, Fabian on 1/23/1926 at St Adalberts. Fabian(age 27) married Anna Sieczka(age 1Cool daughter of Bartholemew and Maria Gal. Fabian was baptized in Odrowaz, but Anna was baptized at St John Cantius in Chicago, per the marriage record.

Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:08 am      Post subject: Re: Angela Mateja's parents

jkoloj wrote:
Adalbert Kocanda(born in Odrowaz)was the son of John & Anne Majchrowicz(sp?) and he married Angela Mateja(also born in Odrowaz) on 5/20/1916 at St. Adalbert's in Chicago. She was the daughter of John & Agnes Las. The marriage witnesses were Fabian Kocanda and Joseph Mateja...seems odd to have to male names but that's the way it reads, but maybe Joseph was actually supposed to be Josepha. In a related marriage, John Mateja,(son of John and Agnes Las) married Carol Kocenda(Kocanda?)(daughter of Andreas and Trca Stopka) on 10/27/1912. John was from Odrowaz, but Carol was from Zaluczne. Witnesses were Hyacinth Gal and Agnes Gal.
Per the PGSA database, Adalbert(Wojciech) died on 10/5/1969.
I also found a marriage record for Adalbert's brother, Fabian on 1/23/1926 at St Adalberts. Fabian(age 27) married Anna Sieczka(age 1Cool daughter of Bartholemew and Maria Gal. Fabian was baptized in Odrowaz, but Anna was baptized at St John Cantius in Chicago, per the marriage record.

Joe,
Thank you very much for sharing all the information! It was extremely helpful in understanding how the families are connected and in confirming my guess that my first-degree cousin Peter Bryjak's wife Rozalia Mateja, daughter of Jan and Agnes Las, was the sister of Angela Mateja who married Wojciech 'Adalbert/Albert' Kocanda. I was able to add a whole new branch of abt. 200 people to my family tree this way. In addition to that, when I loaded my updated family tree on to Ancestry.com I noticed that there is a Kolodziej family tree at Ancestry.com (which I assume is yours) starting with Andrzej 'Andrew' Kaczmarczyk, b 02 Dec 1894 in Poland, d Feb 1974 in Maywood, Cook, Illinois, and Maria 'Mary' Feczko, b 15 Aug 1896 in Poland, d 18 Nov 1970 in Maywood, Cook, Illinois, which means that there is a connection between our families now. Great! The many hours I spent at the computer on the weekend definitely paid off! And there's more to share now and to add to my family tree (e.g. on the descendants of Jan 'John' Kocanda and Anna Majchrowicz). Thank you very much again, Joe!
-Ute

Last edited by Ute on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:09 am      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
Hi Ute,
I spotted the name Fabian Kocanda and the surname Majchrowicz in your message above and it reminded me of long discussion about this family:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=432&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hi Shellie,
A big thank you to you for the information you provided and the link to the thread about the Fabian Kocanda family. I noticed that this family has been discussed at Genealogy.com-Poland as well with a detailed response by Norbert Stevens:
"Hi,
There are 1910 and 1920 U.S. Census records for the Kanty and Anna Kocanda family.
In 1910, the family is indexed on Ancestry.com as Kanty “Koranda” living at 1808 West 18th Street in Chicago Ward 11, Cook County IL 60608.
In 1920, the family is indexed on Ancestry.com as Kanty Kocanda living at 1716 West 19th Street in Chicago Ward 11, Cook County, IL 60608.
The nearest Polish Roman Catholic Church in the neighborhood was St. Adalbert’s parish located at 1650 West 17th Street.
http://www.stadalbertchicago.com/
Kanty and Albert Kocanda both worked for the International Harvester McCormick works located on the north side of the Chicago River.
Kanty Kocanda was born on October 12, 1858 in Zaluczne Austria/Poland. He married Anna Majchrowicz around 1885, presumably in Zaluczne Austria/Poland. Anna was born around 1865 in Zaluczne or Odrowaz Austria/Poland. It appears that they had four (4) children: Wojciech/Albert was born on April 15, 1890 (or 1891) in Zaluczne, Fabian was born on September 25, 1894 (and several other dates) in Zaluczne, Aniela/Nellie/Annie was born in 1904 in Zaluczne and finally John was born in 1908 in Chicago.
Kanty, Albert and Fabian Kocanda all filed for their citizenship papers in Chicago.
Albert married a lady named Aniela/Nellie/Angeline around 1916.
Fabian married a lady names Anna around 1925.
Albert died in October 1969 in Berwyn, Cook County, IL 60402, SSN #339-07-3484. His wife Nellie died in December 1977 in Glen Ellyn, Du Page County, IL 60137, SSN #341-05-7581.
Fabian died in May 1960, SSN #324-05-7382.
It is unclear what happened to Aniela and John Kocanda after 1920.
Best regards,
Norbert
"

I will take a closer look at it all the information again later when I have a little more time. First I have to catch up on the things that I didn't do during the weekend.
-Ute
jkoloj

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:26 am      Post subject:

Ute, it seems to me that our dear friend Shellie has a photographic memory Laughing She often finds a forum thread that ended years ago and is able to tie it back into a current one, such as the Fabian Kocanda comments above. She is true blessing and can't wait for her to make a trip to the Chicago area so we can have a martini at Uncle Gregg's place in Brookfield, IL
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:51 am      Post subject: The descendants of Jan Mateja and Agnes Las

jkoloj wrote:
... In a related marriage, John Mateja,(son of John and Agnes Las) married Carol Kocenda(Kocanda?)(daughter of Andreas and Trca Stopka) on 10/27/1912. John was from Odrowaz, but Carol was from Zaluczne. Witnesses were Hyacinth Gal and Agnes Gal.

My latest update of the descendants of Jan Mateja and Agnes Las of Odrowaz looks as follows (still incomplete, so all additions and corrections are very welcome. I hope it will be helpful to those of us who are connected to this family):

Descendants of Jan 'John' MATEJA and Agnieszka 'Agnes' LAS

Generation 1

1. JAN 'JOHN'1 MATEJA . He married AGNIESZKA 'AGNES' LAS.
Jan 'John' MATEJA and Agnieszka 'Agnes' LAS had the following children:

2. i. ROZALIA 'ROSE'2 MATEJA was born abt 1884 in Odrowaz. She died in Jul 1975. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune on July 16, 1975. She married Pjotr 'Peter' BRYJAK, son of Andrzej BRYJAK and Anna KOWALKOWSKA, on 08 May 1906 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago. Marriage witnesses were Joanne [Jan] Kujawski and Michaele [Michal?] Jaworski. Pjotr ‘Peter’ was born on 26 Jan 1885 in Dlugopole. He died in Apr 1967. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune on April 22, 1967.

3. ii. ANGELINE 'ANGELA' MATEJA was born on 12 Feb 1893 in Odrowaz. She died in Dec 1977 in Glen Ellynn, Du Page, Illinois.The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune on 14 Dec 1977. She married Wojciech 'Adalbert/Albert' KOCANDA, son of Jan 'John' Kanty KOCANDA and Anna MAJCHROWICZ on 20 May 1916 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago. Marriage witnesses were Fabian Kocanda and Joseph[a?] Mateja. He was born on 15 Apr 1890 in Zaluczne or Odrowaz. He died on 05 Oct 1969 in Berwyn, Cook, Illinois.

4. iii. JAN 'JOHN' MATEJA was born abt 1889 in Odrowaz. He married Karolina KOCANDA, daughter of Andrew KOCANDA and N.N. STOPKA on 27 Oct 1912 in Chicago. Marriage witnesses were Hyacinth Gal and Agnes Gal. She was born on ?? in Zaluczne. She died in Mar 1973. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune on 1973-03-19.

Generation 2

2. ROZALIA 'ROSE'2 MATEJA (Jan 'John'1) was born abt 1884 in Odrowaz. She died in Jul 1975. She married Pjotr 'Peter' BRYJAK, son of Andrzej BRYJAK and Anna KOWALKOWSKA on 08 May 1906 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago. He was born on 26 Jan 1885 in Dlugopole. He died in Apr 1967. The obituary appeared in the 'Chicago Tribune' on Apr 22, 1967.

When the 1910 US Federal Census was taken, the Bryjak family lived in Chicago, Ward 11: Peter Brijak M 24y Parent Rosie Brijak F 23y Andrew Brijak M 3y John Brijak M 1y John Matia M 17y.

Pjotr 'Peter' BRYJAK and Rozalia 'Rose' MATEJA had the following children:

i. Andrzej 'ANDREW'3 BRYJAK was born abt 1907. He died on 09 Feb 1949. He married MARY N.N.

ii. Jan 'JOHN' BRYJAK was born on 10 Feb 1909. He died in Nov 1980. He married MAXINE N.N.

iii. STANISLAW BRYJAK was born in Mar 1913 in Poland. He died on 15 May 1913 in New York.

Notes for Stanislaw BRYJAK:
Stanislaw Bryjak was most likely born in Odrowaz during his mother's visit to Poland. Rozalia Mateja-Bryjak, indexed as Bryje, Rosalia, returned to the US on board of the steamship ‘Antonia’ that left Hamburg on Apr 26, 1913 and arrived at the port of New York on May 12, 1913. Rozalia was accompanied by her four children, Andrzej, 6 ys old, US born; Jan, 3 ys old, US born; Jozef, 2 ys old, US born; and Stanislaw, 2 months old [never before in the US]. According to the passenger record, their last residence abroad was with their father-in-law resp. grandfather Jozef Bryje in Odrowaz, their destination in the US was Chicago where they were going to join their husband resp. father Pjotr Bryja at 1723, 18th St.

Stanislaw who was abt. 2 months old at the time didn't survive. He died two days after their arrival at the port of New York on May 15, 1913 in a hospital in New York.

iv. HELEN BRYJAK was born on 11 Apr 1914 in Chicago. She died on 17 Jul 1914 in Chicago of cerebral meningitis.

v. ANGELINE BRYJAK was born on 06 Jun 1915 in Chicago.

vi. HELEN BRYJAK was born on 06 Jun 1918 in Chicago. She died on 24 Oct 1936 in Chicago.

vii. PETER BRYJAK JR was born on 23 Jun 1918 in Chicago. He married CATHERINE N.N.

5. viii. Agnieszka 'AGNES' BRYJAK was born on 11 May 1920 in Chicago. She married EDWARD C. SNYDER. He was born on 14 Jan 1915. He died in Aug 1976 in Chicago Heights, Cook, Illinois.

6. ix. Franciszek 'FRANK' BRYJAK.

x. Zofia 'SOPHIE' BRYJAK. She married JOHN RUSSELL KACZMAREK.

xi. Jozef 'JOSEPH' BRYJAK. He married CHARLOTTE N.N.

---
3. ANGELINE 'ANGELA'2 MATEJA (Jan 'John'1) was born on 12 Feb 1893 in Odrowaz. She died in Dec 1977 in Glen Ellynn, Du Page, Illinois. She married Wojciech 'Adalbert or Albert' KOCANDA, son of Jan 'John' Kanty KOCANDA and Anna MAJCHROWICZ on 20 May 1916 at St. Adalbert Church, Chicago. He was born on 15 Apr 1890 in Zaluczne or Odrowaz. He died on 05 Oct 1969 in Berwyn, Cook, Illinois.

Wojciech 'Adalbert or Albert' KOCANDA and Angeline 'Angela' MATEJA had the following children:

i. BERNICE3 KOCANDA was born abt 1920 in Illinois, USA. She married MICHAEL FEDEROWICZ.

ii. VALERIA STEPHANIE KOCANDA was born on 16 Feb 1927 in Chicago. She married JOHN PETER MICHELLI. He was born on 02 Feb 1926 in Hammond, USA.

6. iii. JOHN A. KOCANDA was born on 15 Feb 1917 in Illinois. He died in Aug 1998. He married LORETTA D. KACZMARCZYK on 15 May 1948 in Cook County, Illinois. She was born on 15 Jan 1924 in Chicago. She died on 06 Dec 2008 in West Chicago, Du Page, Illinois.

--
4. JAN 'JOHN'2 MATEJA (Jan 'John'1) was born abt 1889 in Odrowaz. He married Karolina KOCANDA, daughter of Andrew KOCANDA and N.N. STOPKA on 27 Oct 1912 in Chicago. Marriage witnesses were Hyacinth Gal and Agnes Gal. She was born in Zaluczne and died in Mar 1973 in the US. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1973-03-19.

Notes for Jan 'John' MATEJA:
Jan Mateja returned to the US on Dec 08, 1923 on board of the SS 'Paris' that left LeHavre on Dec 01, 1923 and arrived at the port of New York on Dec 08, 1923. Jan was 34 ys old at the time, married, Polish, calling or occupation: agricul., last permanent residence abroad: Odrowaz, with wife Mateja, Karolina. His destination in the US was his brother-in-law Peter Bryjak at 9244 Dopien Ave., Boreside, Illinois [funny misspelling -- the correct address is Dauphin Ave., Burnside, Illinois]. He indicated that he had been in the US/Chicago before in 1905.

Jan 'John' MATEJA and Karolina KOCANDA had the following children:

i. JOSEPH3 MATEJA.

ii. STEPHANIE MATEJA.

iii. WALTER MATEJA.

iv. JOHN MATEJA.

v. EDWARD MATEJA.

vi. BRUNO MATEJA.

Generation 3

5. AGNES3 BRYJAK (Rozalia 'Rose'2 MATEJA, Jan 'John'1 MATEJA) was born on 11 May 1920 in Chicago. She married EDWARD C. SNYDER. He was born on 14 Jan 1915. He died in Aug 1976 in Chicago Heights, Cook, Illinois. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1976-08-22.

6. JOHN A.3 KOCANDA (Angeline 'Angela'2 MATEJA, Jan 'John'1 MATEJA) was born on 15 Feb 1917 in Illinois. He died in Aug 1998. He married LORETTA D. KACZMARCZYK 15 May 1948 in Cook County, Illinois. She was born on 15 Jan 1924 in Chicago. She died on 06 Dec 2008 in West Chicago, Du Page, Illinois.
jkoloj

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:27 pm      Post subject:

Ute stated the following: Rose Mateja’s second husband, Joseph J. Kaczmarek, was born on 01 Dec 1902 and died in Feb 1976 at age 74, interment Resurrection. According to the SSDI his last residence was Cook, Illinois, 60609. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1976-02-13. According to the obituary, his siblings were Bernice Kaczmarek (married to Bob Mack); Marian Kaczmarek (married to Sophie); Frank Kaczmarek, and Bruno Kaczmarek (married to Marie). It seems that Rose Mateja and Joseph J. Kaczmarek had no children. The obituary only lists Edward and Ernest Kaczmarek from Joseph’s first marriage to Mary.

Based upon the following, I believe that she was definitely on the right track for the parents of Joseph Kaczmarek. The 1930 Federal Census in Chicago lists the family thusly: Frank(age 55), Polly(age 44), Walter(age 16), Stanley(age 14), Marion(age 8 ), Frank(age 7)Bruno(age 2). All of the children were listed as being born in Illinois. The 1940 Federal Census at FamilySearch shows the "Perly Kaczmarck" family at 4438 S Honore St in Chicago, IL. Marion, Frank Jr. and Bruno also appear, along with a son named Anthony, age 35. Ellis Island records show a Pelagia Kaczmarek arriving in the US on 7/12/1905, age 20, married. She came with two children, sons Joseph and Anthony and she was going to her husband Franciszek at 4501 S. Wood St in Chicago, IL.(just about 2 blocks from where they were living in 1940).

Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07 am      Post subject:

jkoloj wrote:
But there is an obituary in the Chicago Tribune 1965-06-30 for Pearl J. Kaczmarek, nee Knapkiewicz, mother of Joseph [Rose M.], Bernice [William Mack], Marion [Sophie], Frank, and Bruno [Marie]; dear mother-in-law of Bernice Kaczmarek. Interment Resurrection. There must have been another son, Walter S. Kaczmarek, who died in 1961, Interment Resurrection. The obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune 1961-05-12. According to the obituary, he lived resp. died at Hawthorne, Cal. and was the son of Pearl, nee Knapklewicz; brother of Joseph [Rose], Bernice [William] Mack, Marion [Sophie], Frank, and Bruno [Marie]. His father's name is not given.

Based upon the following, I believe that she was definitely on the right track for the parents of Joseph Kaczmarek. The 1930 Federal Census in Chicago lists the family thusly: Frank(age 55), Polly(age 44), Walter(age 16), Stanley(age 14), Marion(age 8 ), Frank(age 7)Bruno(age 2). All of the children were listed as being born in Illinois. The 1940 Federal Census at FamilySearch shows the "Perly Kaczmarck" family at 4438 S Honore St in Chicago, IL. Marion, Frank Jr. and Bruno also appear, along with a son named Anthony, age 35. Ellis Island records show a Pelagia Kaczmarek arriving in the US on 7/12/1905, age 20, married. She came with two children, sons Joseph and Anthony and she was going to her husband Franciszek at 4501 S. Wood St in Chicago, IL.(just about 2 blocks from where they were living in 1940).

Joe,
Great that you found 'Pearl' Kaczmarek's Ellis Island records. So her first name 'Pearl' was originally Pelagia. You probably noticed that it was her second trip to the US. I did just a quick search but couldn't find her or her husband Franciszek/Frank in the US in earlier years. Didn't have enough time to search on ....

Another little piece to the puzzle re: Mary Orszulak and Andrew Mateja (I don't know if you had this information already): I found the following at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N3HR-MJ7
It looks like the couple had another son, Edward Marion Mateja, b 19 Jan 1920 in Chicago, d 29 Oct 1940 in Chicago. Andrew Mateja's place of birth is indexed as 'Zakopine' [Zakopane] and Mary Orszulak's place of birth as Budapest/Poland. I know from my own research that many Podhale villagers (including my great-grandparents) went to Budapest in search of work before the big waves of emigration to the US started in the late 19th century. It is well possible that Mary Orszulak was born in Budapest during her parents' stay there (like my grandfather and his siblings), but that her family was originally from one of the Podhale villages.

I have an interesting article on this subject on my computer [but cannot find a free version of the full article online to share]:
Excerpt from an interview in Zakopane with Witold Paryski, editor of Encyklopedia Tatrzanska (The Tatra Mountains Encyclopedia). Interviewed by Ron Kelley in 1999, Source: International Highlanders Conference, 2000: Emigration, Cultural Conservatism, and Change in a Polish Village, by Harriet Lee Bloch, 1984:
"... There was also a very big emigration at the end of summer into lowland Poland. Why? Because it was the time for harvesting and the gorale were very good at this. They worked for the big landowners and then they came back home. They went on foot. They even went to Budapest on foot. On occasion they went in wagons because they expected to earn money and bring some products back with them. But the poorer ones went on foot as far as Budapest. The journey took many days. The boundary at that time wasn't very strict. You didn't have to have a passport to go from the Austrian part to what was then Hungary. There were custom officers of course, especially on account of tobacco. Tobacco from Hungary was smuggled into Austrian Poland. ..."
Loufamtree

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:34 pm      Post subject:

Hi All

My father-in-law John was the son of John Kaczmarczyk and Nellie Orszulak - but i don't have much more info on all of these people than you all have already posted. Not sure how Angeline (Nelly) is related to the other Orszulaks, but would love to find out if anyone discovers it. Ute - you and I seem to always find the same documents - I too have a copy of Anna Sperla's ship manifest when she came with her two daughters. Any idea what "Midsery" Or Mindvery" is a reference too? I tried hard to reserach that but had no luck - very mysterious! Joe - it looks like you and my husband might somehow be related after all

Louise
GenGirl

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:12 pm      Post subject: Mateja, Orszulak

I read a query on ancestry.com in response to the 1965 Chicago Tribune death notice of Andrew Mateja. The reply mentioned an additional child of Andrew Mateja and Mary Orszulak Mateja: Andrew J. Mateja, born in Poland, Feb. 24, 1918. The author was looking for more information.

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=14567&p=localities.northam.usa.states.wisconsin.counties.shawano
GenGirl

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:20 pm      Post subject:

Apparently, there was not a son Andrew Mateja born on Feb. 24, 1918. It was Joseph Mateja. I will write to the message board author on ancestry.com
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:39 pm      Post subject: Re: James Szymusiak

GenGirl wrote:
James Szymusiak was my grandfather. He was from Ciche, Poland. My grandmother, Mary, was from the neighboring village, Chocholow. Mary arrived in NY on Feb. 12, 1913. She lived with aunt Zofia Orszulak at 1756 W. 18th Pl. in Chicago. James arrived in NY on June 14, 1913, en route to join his brother in PA to work in the coal mines. It is my understanding that James came to Chicago to see Mary and asked her to come to PA with him to get married. They were married in 1917. The next year, my mother was born, and 6 months later, James was killed in a mining accident when he was 23 years old. He was buried at St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Calumet, PA. The following year, his brother, Andrew, was killed in a mining accident. He, too, was buried at St. Stanislaus Cemetery.

Hi GenGirl,
Could you please tell me if you know the names of James and Andrew's parents?
Cheri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 3 of 4

Jump to: