PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:45 am      Post subject: Unidentified place of origin

Hi, I am trying to find out where my paternal grandfather, Anton Podwojski, was born. The ship passenger record I found says his place of last residence was Stropko. Any documents I've found so far, social security application, WWI draft registration, census records only have Russia or Russia/Poland.

His brother, Feliks Podwojski, lists what appears to be "Sapc" or maybe "Sape" on his WWI draft registration, but his passenger record when he came here says he came from "Potska." I cannot find any reference to these places, having checked gazeteers, the internet, Google Earth, etc. Can anyone help me out?

Felicia
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:31 am      Post subject:

Welcome to the Forum Felicia,

Do you have scans of these documents? If you uploaded it here, we could look closer at the handwriting.
Send e-mail
Feliciaj

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:49 pm      Post subject: Unidentified place of origin

Hi, it appears there is no way to upload scans directly here, so I would need to place them in a publicly accessible site and do not have a website at this time. Can I email them to you directly?

I deeply appreciate any help I can get!

Felicia
Zenon

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:53 pm      Post subject:

Yes, you can upload picture files here. Everyone who is logged in our Forum can do this.

Try to follow the instructions outlined here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=373#373
Send e-mail
Feliciaj

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:56 pm      Post subject: Unidentified place of origin

Thanks for the info on uploading! I've attempted to attach a portion of the census form showing "Potska," but keep getting a message that the attachment is too big or just get a red X showing. Will keep trying.

Felicia

Last edited by Feliciaj on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Feliciaj

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:15 pm      Post subject: Unidentified place of origin

Here is the draft registration for Feliks Podwojski with place of origin as "Sapc" or "Sape."

Felicia

Feliks draft regis.jpg
 Description:
Draft registration form.
 Filesize:  330.69 KB
 Viewed:  8817 Time(s)

Feliks draft regis.jpg

Feliciaj

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:09 pm      Post subject: Unidentified place of origin

Here is a portion of the census form showing "Potska." You will see it in the middle.

Felicia

Potska0001.jpg
 Description:
This may need to be enlarged.
 Filesize:  843.72 KB
 Viewed:  8816 Time(s)

Potska0001.jpg

1/2pint

Replies: 36

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:25 am      Post subject:

Hi Felicia,

Have you obtained his death record? Obituary? Even birth records and baptismal records of children born in the US, can have the birth town information for the parents.

Order from Cook Co. Clerk>
Name Record Type File Number Event Date
PODWOJSKI, ANTON Death 6057931 8/19/1955

Dziennik Chicagoski 1930-1971 Death Notice Index Results: Surname Given Type Notes Date of Notice
Podwojski Antoni d 8/19/1955 20 Aug 1955
Podwojski Jan Feliks d 2/4/1949 5 Feb 1949

Obit order form>
http://www.pgsa.org/obitreqform.php

Stropko
Possible ?
Sztropkó, Stropkov in Slovakia
Radius of 10 miles is Potôčky (for Potska on census?)

Smile
Joyce
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:02 am      Post subject:

Felicia,

Potska is "Polska", in Polish "Poland". When your grandfather's brother was asked about state he came from he most probably replied in Polish: Polska. And the clerk recording probably heard "t" in the middle, that's why we have "Potska."

I found only two 4-letter places starting with Sap.. in present-day Poland which used to belonged to Russia: Sapy near Zyrardow and near Lowicz. Click here for map of both: http://tinyurl.com/cvomut .
In this case it could be again misunderstanding of pronunciation by foreign (not Polish) clerk, he could heard "e" instead of "y" at the end of this word. Joyce's valuable suggestions about obtaining the other documents might provide further clarification about the place name.
Send e-mail
Feliciaj

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:50 pm      Post subject: Unidentified place of origin

Joyce and Zenon,

Thank you both so much for helping!

On Anton Podwojski's death record it says only Poland, and on his registration for social security it says only Russia for birthplace. Death notices for other relatives I have obtained from Dziennik Chicagoski have not listed place of birth but I will order my grandfather's anyway. He was not born in the U.S. so I need to know the birthplace in Poland to send a request for for more family information.

When I entered Potska in Google Earth, it did ask if I meant Polska. I did also find Stropkov in Slovakia, and the town that could have been Potska nearby but wasn't sure if that was correct. Knowing pitifully little Polish, I never thought of putting a y at the end of Sap.

Now there is the daunting (for me) task of finding out what parishes to write to for a further search. Hopefully there is one parish for the two areas called Sapy. My father told me that my grandfather was Russian Orthodox before he changed to Roman Catholic when he came to the United States. Since my grandmother, Rozalia Figurska, was born in Prussia/Poland (Lipowiec) and was German Lutheran, they may have needed to change to Roman Catholic in order to marry. I don't have a marriage date and think they would have been married in Cleveland Ohio in 1905 so need to find the marriage record as well, since that may have information on my grandfather's birthplace.

Again, many thanks for helping!

Felicia
1/2pint

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:48 pm      Post subject:

Source:Probate Court of Cuyahoga County, Ohio, Historical Marriage License Index, 1810-April 1998

Bride Groom
Prefix Prefix
First Name ROSALIA First Name ANTHONY
Middle Name Middle Name
Last Name FIGORSKA Last Name PODWOJSKI
Suffix Suffix
Gender F Gender M
Record Key 0306851458 Record Key 0306851457
Volume:0067 Page:0091 Page Match: 24

SZALOWINSKA, STEPHANIA PODWOJSKI, FELIX
Volume:0057 Page:0205 Page Match:40

Address:
Cuyahoga County Probate Court
Marriage License Department
1 Lakeside Avenue
Room 146 (1st Floor)
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
http://probate.cuyahogacounty.us/contact.htm

Request copy of complete marriage record including the marriage application.If they have them, it will have the most genealogical information.

Smile
Joyce
Feliciaj

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:31 pm      Post subject: Unidentified place of origin

Joyce, you are amazing! I was never able to pull up any information for my grandfather's marriage. I thought maybe he and my grandmother got married in a church and that would be the only record source. I am very grateful for your efforts!!!

Felicia
1/2pint

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:40 pm      Post subject:

Glad I could help. If the civil record doesn't provide town information, go after a church record..... Always ask for a copy of the complete original for both civil & church.

Good luck.
Smile
Joyce
Zenon

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:07 am      Post subject:

When you get the records tell us names of the places of origin, then we will try to establish parishes seats Smile.
Send e-mail
Felicia

Replies: 43

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:25 am      Post subject: Unknown place of origin

Wow! I can't believe it has taken this long to get the needed information!

Here's what I have so far:

My grandfather, Anton Podwojski, listed his birthplace as Dziegetewo. I think this is Dziengielewo (Mazowieckie). His passenger listing shows place of last residence as Stropko, likely Stropkowo in the same area.

My grandmother, Rosalia Figurska lists her birthplace as Lipowiec with last place of residence in Pokrzydowo (Kujawsko-Pomorskie).

If anyone can help out with parish information, I would be forever grateful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: