PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:37 pm      Post subject: Wojtulewicz/Skurowska/Bielawski/Kozbiel

Looking for my Grandparents: Jozef Wojtulewicz b. 6 Dec 1886 in Grodnow, Poland; Aniela Skurowski b. 2 Aug 1896 in Lodz, Poland.
Also, my Great-Grandparents: Karol Wojtulewicz b. probably in Grodnow, Poland; Mary Bielawski b. Abt. 1860 in Poland.
My Great-Great Grandparents: Antoni Bielawski. Records say he was born in Russia. I'm assuming it was when the borders changed. And his wife Antonina Kozbiel.

Mary Bielawski-Wojtulewicz came to America with her son, Jozef in 1913. I'm guessing that Karol Wojtulewicz had died.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cyndi Wojtulewicz-Johnson
Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 pm      Post subject:

Hi Cyndi,
Have you seen passenger records for your grandfather Jozef and his mother Mary? My first thought was that those records, at least the ship manifests at Ellis Island, note the marital status, including widow. I did find a Josef Wojtulewicz there, arriving in 1913. He is indexed as age 24, but if you look at the writing it looks like it could possibly be age 27. He is going to a cousin in Chicago on 25th Place. I think the surname is Uros. His contact in Poland is brother in law Teodor? __elowski (not sure of the first letter in the surname) in Male Jacwicz, Grodno (I think), I believe it listed Male Jacwicz as Josef's last residence. He is Polish, this is in Russia in 1913. Is this your grandfather?

I see Mary living with Jozef in the 1920 census in Chicago, and she is a widow then. I thought maybe when you said they came to America that they were going to go to their husband and father, as many families did (someone came over first, and sent money so someone else could), but if that is your Josef in 1913, then maybe you are right to think that Karol wasn't living in 1913.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: