PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 am      Post subject: Goral Photography Surprise

A while back (last March) I discovered something interesting while I was trying to restore a old photo. I have a photograph of my grandfathers brother Andrzej Rusin and family who lived in Gron. I was told it may have been taken in Zakopane nearly 100 yrs ago. So I worked on the photo trying to repair the cracks and parts missing on the mountain backdrop that they posed in front of. I got to know the mountain backdrop pretty well as I tediously worked on the photo off and on for a few weeks. One day I was reading some articles on the web site for Radio Alex while listening to the goral folk music. There was an article posted that mentioned they were collecting old photo's of Nowy Targ for a collection to be posted at a later time. A few photo's were posted in the article and I noticed one that had my exact same mountain backdrop! So I sent a letter and a copy of my picture to them and asked if they could tell me any thing more about my photo which seemed to be taken at the same place. A few weeks past by and I received a reply with some fantastic information. My photo was definitely taken at a studio in Nowy Targ and they sent me information on the photographer. (cont.)
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:16 am      Post subject:

Edward Morawetz (1886-1967)

The most famous professional photographer of Nowy Targ, Edward Morawetz was born in 1886 in Podwołczyska in Podole. He learned his profession in a photo lab of Brunon Kliszewski in Tarnopol. In 1912, encouraged by his sister for whom Tatra and Podhale were a fascination, he arrived in Nowy Targ and started co-operating with Józef Christ. Since his partner's departure to the USA in 1914 he then worked independently.

After the World War I, he moved the headquarters of the “Artistic Photography Lab” to the corner of Kazimierza Wielkiego and Ogrodowa streets. In his atelier there he took hundreds of individual and group pictures of town inhabitants, highlanders and celebrities. Edward Morawetz worked in the capital of Podhale almost all his professional life recording the landscape of the town and its surroundings. He especially held Gorce in high esteem, among his works many pictures of the landscape of Gorce and reports from winter ski excursions can be found. For almost half a century he took part in all important events and celebrations in Nowy Targ and its surroundings and with passion recorded the changes taking place in the town, especially new construction and industrial investments. His self-portraits are excellent and in 1917 he photographed himself in a carriage, as the signature says: “own means of transport, necessary to stay in touch with the so called territory". His passion for music is confirmed by his self-portrait with a mandolin, which he played eagerly. His portrait in the “Falcon”, wearing traditional costume was taken most probably in the Brunon Kaliszewski's photo lab. This shows his other patriotic and socially committed side and the face of the photographer.

After the death of Edward Morawetz in 1967 the company was taken over by his daughter, Irena Starczowska, who ran the lab together with her husband Jan Starczowski until the mid 1990’s.
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:56 am      Post subject:

Circa 1920 in a wooden corner house on Kazimierza Wielkiego St. and Ogrodowa St., in which the photography lab and atelier were located in Nowy Targ. This was also the home of the photographer and his family. (click on photo's to enlarge)

morawetz studio e.jpg
 Description:
"Artistic Photography Lab"
 Filesize:  92.79 KB
 Viewed:  14810 Time(s)

morawetz studio e.jpg

Ed Morawetz photographer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.42 KB

Ed Morawetz photographer.jpg

goral nowy targ pl..jpg
 Description:
The same back drop that I noticed! Ed's logo embossed in corner.
 Filesize:  138.17 KB

goral nowy targ pl..jpg

em logo cropped.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.19 KB

em logo cropped.jpg

andrzej rusin family rev.jpg
 Description:
My family picture was taken by Ed. :-)
 Filesize:  46.75 KB

andrzej rusin family rev.jpg

Last edited by Bill Rushin on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:03 am; edited 4 times in total
Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:30 pm      Post subject:

Bill,
Beautiful photos, and an interesting story. Thanks for sharing!
Cheri
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 pm      Post subject:

Hi Bill~ Do you have any idea when your family picture was taken? After 1914 I assume…

I noticed the name of Andzrej’s wife Katarzyna Las. When I was in Nowy Targ in 2009 and looked at the church baptism records for my grandfather and his 9 siblings I noted the names of the sponsors. For the first 9, born between 1870 and 1887 Antoni Łaś was the godfather. For the first 8 children Wiktorya, wife of Franciszek Pajerski, was the godmother. My great grandmother was Marya Pajerski, so I assume Franciszek was a relative. In 1887 the godmother was Julianna Pajerski (no spouse listed). For the last child in 1889 Andreas Pajerski was the godfather and Marianna Łaś (no spouse listed) was the godmother. I assume that between 1887 and 1889 Antoni died and Marianna was his widow. Anyway, do you know anything about Katarzyna Las’s family?

Oh by the way my grandfather was a Babczakiewicz. When he married as a widower in Feb. 1870 he was living at house no. 107 and in 1885 when the 8th child was born they were still living in house no. 107 in Nowy Targ. My gfather came to the U.S. in 1909. ~PL
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:38 pm      Post subject:

Ooops. That was my great grandfather who married in 1870 and my grandfather who came in 1909. Confused ~PL
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:15 am      Post subject:

[quote="PolishLibrarian"]Hi Bill~ Do you have any idea when your family picture was taken? After 1914 I assume…...... I noticed the name of Andzrej’s wife Katarzyna Las. /quote]

Hi PL, not exactly. Anna Rusin was born in 1910 and her sister-in-law Helena in 1911. The girls look young so I'm guessing they're about 20 yrs old in the photo. So circa 1930 is my best guess. I do not believe my family attended church in Nowy Targ as they were from the village of Groń 6-8 miles south of NT. I have some Łas names in my records and I'll post a private msg. to you. Sorry I do not recognize the Babczakiewicz name. Bill
Send e-mail
Jakrysi
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:40 pm      Post subject:

Bill,

Really great effort & detective work. Congrats on your findings and thanks for all your efforts on this subforum.
JK
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:06 pm      Post subject:

On Feb. 1 2014 in the thread "Internet Links to Old Poland Photos" I posted a link to many photos from Nowy Targ. Probably many of them were by Morawetz as the coverage is basically 1900 to 1945 (in fact his photo from above is the first in the portraits section of the albums). Anyway this link to takes you to info on photographers of Nowy Targ http://www.album.nowytarg.pl/en/node/145 ~PL
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:57 pm      Post subject:

Interesting, Bill. This photo that belonged to my grandmother has the E. Morawetz Nowy Targ stamp on it. She said it was of her sisters, the daughters of Klemens Lenart and Magdalena Babicz Lenart, from Załuczne.

Aniela's sisters..JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  292.49 KB

Aniela's sisters..JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: