PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 am      Post subject: Any Records for Wadowice – birthplace of Pope John Paul II?

For years, a story circulated among my family that we were related to Pope John Paul II and my grandfather was baptized in the same church as the Pope. Our family even decided that my grandfather resembled the Pope. Almost 40 years later, I was the first in my family to investigate our genealogy and had to deliver the crushing news that my grandfather was baptized in 1908 in Luslawice, while the Pope’s 1920 birth occurred in Wadowice, over 50 km away. Also, I could not find any ancestral links between my family and the Pope’s.

I had the pleasure of visiting Wadowice during my trip to Poland in 2009. We were on a bus tour of the town, and I was certain that I had no roots there. So the visit was strictly touristy. But now, I am ready to reconsider my original thoughts.

I recently found an amazing amount of genealogical information about another part of my family because of a tiny clue and now I am willing to re-examine our family legend. I still have no evidence of a family relationship to Pope John Paul II, and still don’t expect to find one, but I want to explore the possibility that my grandfather’s older siblings Anna (1901), Stanislawa (09 APR 1905) and Francziek Kulawiak (1907) could have been born in Wadowice.

The LDS family history center does not have microfilm available for Wadowice. I would like to know if anyone has had a chance to view records from Wadowice. If so, please reply to this post and share your experience. I am particularly interested in records from 1900-1907. Thanks!

Shellie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: