PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:09 pm      Post subject: Record Translation/Interpretation (Latin)

One of the few documents I've been able to find on a paternal Great-Grandfather. This document is clearly an extract from the original (and it appears the priest wasn't completely fluent in Latin). The document is dated 'Miechocin, 17 September 1929' on the very bottom (which was cut off during the scan).

1) Can someone confirm the dates listed in the body of the document?

2) Can someone suggest where I would look for the original birth act? The town of Machow doesn't exist anymore from what I understand.

Update...found this:
http://spuscizna.org/spuscizna/miechocin.html so should I start by writing directly to this parish?

Thanks!

violin75

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:54 pm      Post subject:

Hello Zolkie:

I am too looking for my ggrandparents in Poland. I have been very lucky with finding my Gawlik ancestors on microfilm. They are written in latin in the table format as you have shown above. I want to offer you my help although I am not an expert in Latin I have been very successful in my research.

First, from the stamp towards the top of the page the town would be Machow in Tarnobrzeg. I put Tarnowbrzeg into familysearch.org and got some hits but I didnt see your town, however let me say it might be worth ordering one of the microfilms anyways because from my experience there were towns in the records that I didnt know were going to be there, so you could luck up! It would be your call as I can only tell you my experience. One example I had: I was looking for my Jozef Pietruszka on the roll in Szczucin and it is divided by 13 sections. Szczucin was finally there at section 10-13 however only Szczucin was listed on the ordering information!

Transcribing:
Volume 4;page 14;____. I believe the year is 1885?
this/the latter he is month of September on the day 26th ___ under/beneath/below house # 35 and on the day of _____ September by Antonius Mirkiewicz baptism.

One thing to remember is Latin is not the same as English. What I mean is there are no pronouns...he, she they etc. So, to show who it is etc the endings of the words change like to "o" or "A" and so on. For example, the word for 5 is quinque but the 5th is quintus and if the word is written out usually the ending is "O" or "A" so that is how you could have quinto!! It can be confusing at first but it can be easy to understand after a while especially when reading the microfilms in the table format. Once you know where the information is at just go from there.

So basically from what I know, he was baptized on September 26, 1885? at house 35 by Antonius Markiewicz.
Franciscus was a roman catholic,male, born legitimate. Father is Michael Ordyk,farmer=agricola, son of Valentine and Catherine Baracz. His mother was Anna daughter of Peter Robutka(or Robu?ka) farmer, and Agnes Szulik. Godparents were; Adalbertus Wi?cek,farmer and Marianna Stec wife of Jan(John).
These first names are not spelled the Polish way, I spelled them the English way.
*Obstetrix= midwife.

O...also usually the priest spelled out the names is Latin like Antonius but it would not be spelled that way in Polish so when you record your ancestors name record it the Polish way because his mother would not have called him Anthony or Antonius, she would have called him Antoni.Smile.The surnames were spelled the way they were in Polish.

Some of the words are hard to read, like the ones next to the number 35. Also,I am not certain about the year 1885. I am sure is... but Octo is 8 hopefully someone else can verify my thinkings for you.
I donot know where the date at the bottom of the page came from, maybe it is the year it was signed?

***On the family search site they have a list of Latin words that you might find helpful.
http://broadcast.lds.org/elearning/FHD/Community/FHL/Handwriting/Latin/player.html

I hope this helps

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:34 am      Post subject:

Thanks very much for your response!
I came to the same conclusions regarding the document, but was confused because:
1) The year is spelled out as 1885, but then (immediately afterwards) is written out as 1887... granted that last numeral is badly scrawled, but looks like he was trying to overwrite a "7"
and
2) That word next to the 35 appears to be the day of birth spelled out...I agree it's somewhat illegible, but almost looks like 'undetriginti' which would be 29, but that doesn't make sense...you can't be baptized prior to being born Smile.... so maybe it's a really poorly written 'undeviginti' which would be the 19th?

Thanks again, and I'll check out those links.
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:04 am      Post subject:

zolkie wrote:
1) Can someone confirm the dates listed in the body of the document?

I would say that the date of baptism is 25th of September 1887, although there is spelled out as a year 1885 and as a day sexto - sixth. I think that priest could really had problems with concentration when he was preparing the document. And the day of birth (natus) may be undeviginti - 19 of September (handwritten after Numerus domus 35). But because this is only abstract (testimony) the most important is to get to the primary source, which in this case is baptism record in parish books.

zolkie wrote:
2) Can someone suggest where I would look for the original birth act? The town of Machow doesn't exist anymore from what I understand.

I wrote you a little about the parish some time ago here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=786

violin75 wrote:
I was looking for my Jozef Pietruszka on the roll in Szczucin and it is divided by 13 sections. Szczucin was finally there at section 10-13 however only Szczucin was listed on the ordering information!

In large parishes, where there belonged villages with many parishioners, priest organized parish books the way that they recorded BMD events for each village in a separate book. Unfortunately, sometimes happen that you found parish name of your ancestors, you are happy because you located where the books from this parish can be found but... it occurs that there is missing exactly the book of the village you are interested in Exclamation
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: