We are glad that you have decided to join the PolishOrigins community. Being a registered member will enable you to post messages in our Forum, to contact other members and prepare your unique PO Personal Page. The membership is free of charge.
The registration process is easy and takes only a couple of minutes. If you are a regular user of social networks and message boards, it will be a piece of cake. If you are new to internet forums, please read the following guide and you will breeze through the registration like a hot knife through butter! Here we go:
- Now you will be redirected to the Registration Form. Fields marked with an asterisk are obligatory. The Surnames and Places fields and Notes (creating your PO Personal Page) are optional. You can fill them in after registering.
You have to fill in the following fields:
Your username will appear on your profile and whenever you post a message to the forum. We will also use it while sending the emailing to you. It does not have to be your real name. For example, you can choose JohnS, if you are John Smith, or RookieGenealogist if you prefer a more anonymous name. Okay, maybe the second example is not such a good idea. 🙂 Please DO NOT use your email address as your username because this will make your email accessible to spammers.
We never share your email with anyone and no one will see it unless you choose to disclose it. Forum members can exchange Private Messages via the Forum without knowing each other’s email addresses.
The same rules apply here as when choosing a password for your email account or any other website that requires logging in. To prevent unauthorized people from logging into PolishOrigins and pretending to be you, please choose a secure password and keep it secret. Complex and long passwords (with eight or more characters) are safer.
DO NOT USE PASSWORDS THAT ARE:
– the same as your username
– shorter than eight characters
– all lower case, all upper case, or all numbers, e.g. mountainman, 12345
– common words from a dictionary, e.g. password (actually some people use it as a password!)
- Confirmation code
Please enter the code exactly as you see it, without spaces. It does not matter whether you type the code in upper case or lower case. To distinguish it from the letter O, zero has a diagonal line through it.
- You can skip the Surnames and Places section for now (you can fill it in later) and click the “Submit” button at the bottom of the page. If you click the Reset button, all the data you entered will be cleared.
If you do not enter all the required data in the registration form, you will receive an error message asking you to fill in the missing details. You will also have to re-enter the password and the confirmation code.
If you have completed all the obligatory fields correctly, you will see this message:
- Please check your mailbox. You will receive an email with a link to confirm your registration. If you do not receive the email within a few minutes, please check your spam folder. Alternatively, you may add our email [email protected] to your address book so that the confirmation email does not land in your spam folder.
- Click the link or copy and paste it to the address bar of your browser. It will take you to this page:
You have just become a member of the PolishOrigin and are all set to begin your family history adventure!
In case of problems, contact us at: [email protected]