PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:26 pm      Post subject: Advice for Finding Information in Poland

Hello,
I am very fortunate to be a couple of weeks away from visiting Poland for the first time.
I have done extensive research over the last 6 years through the old indexed Catholic Church record books online.
Some mysteries remain that I would love to learn more about. Hopefully, someone here has some suggestions.
My grandparents were taken by the Germans in 1939/1940. They survived and created my mom during the war.
I would like to know where my grandfather served in the war...if he was captured and where and when. I have a picture of him in a Polish uniform dated 01.09.1938. Is that type of information available, and if so, where? I know he was born and lived in a small village 37 km west of Zamosc, called Chlopkow.
My grandmother's village of Sochy was massacred on 01.06.1943. That morning my grandmother's mother was among the victims. Had my grandmother not been taken by the Germans a few years earlier, she would have met the same fate.

So far, my only hope for learning more about my family is going to the two churches my grandparents were baptized in. Is it appropriate to call or e-mail in advance? How much advanced notice is recommended if this is even possible?

If this message is in the wrong section, I apologize.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2792

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:23 pm      Post subject: Re: Advice for Finding Information in Poland

PolishStrong wrote:
Hello,
I am very fortunate to be a couple of weeks away from visiting Poland for the first time.
I have done extensive research over the last 6 years through the old indexed Catholic Church record books online.
Some mysteries remain that I would love to learn more about. Hopefully, someone here has some suggestions.
My grandparents were taken by the Germans in 1939/1940. They survived and created my mom during the war.
I would like to know where my grandfather served in the war...if he was captured and where and when. I have a picture of him in a Polish uniform dated 01.09.1938. Is that type of information available, and if so, where? I know he was born and lived in a small village 37 km west of Zamosc, called Chlopkow.
My grandmother's village of Sochy was massacred on 01.06.1943. That morning my grandmother's mother was among the victims. Had my grandmother not been taken by the Germans a few years earlier, she would have met the same fate.

So far, my only hope for learning more about my family is going to the two churches my grandparents were baptized in. Is it appropriate to call or e-mail in advance? How much advanced notice is recommended if this is even possible?

If this message is in the wrong section, I apologize.
Thank you for any help you can provide.

Hi,

Here is a link to those who suffered oppression during and after WWII: https://straty.pl/szukaj-osoby.php When searching one must use the Polish diacritical marks to get results.

My maternal grandfather was the oldest of five children. He immigrated to the USA in 1901. His younger brother and sisters all remained in Poland. I found the son of his sister Maryanna who was serving in the Polish Army in September of 1939. His unit resisted until the German Air Force bombed the area where the unit was fighting on 17 September, 1939. He was captured on 20 September, sent to prisoner of war camps and then on February 11, 1943 he was sent to Buchenwald Concentration Camp where he died on February 20, 1943.

Two sons of my grandfather’s brother were conscripted for forced labor and survived the war.

All the above info was found on the site linked above.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Dave
PolishStrong

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:57 pm      Post subject:

Dave, thank you for the swift reply. Wow, you really gained a wealth of knowledge from the site. It is heartbreaking to think about, but so important to remember and pass along to future generations.

Thanks for the tip...unfortunately, while I did receive two hits on my grandfather, Jan Zawiślak, the information is limited.
There were two lines coming up for him with his birthday...one with his Polish name, Jan...and one with the name Johann he was listed as being on another.

Source:
Documents concerning foreigners residing in a given town during the war
70483999/2.1.1.1/2383/21
ITS Bad Arolsen
kind of repression
deported to the Third Reich
stayed in
DEUTSCHLAND - HESSEN - WOLFHAGEN - WETTESINGEN

Personal data
last name
ZAWISLAK
name
Johann
date of birth
1914-08-01
Information about harassment
Source:
Documents on marriages entered into by foreigners
70483877/2.1.1.1/2382/209
ITS Bad Arolsen
kind of repression
deported to the Third Reich
stayed in
DEUTSCHLAND - HESSEN - WOLFHAGEN - WETTESINGEN

No information on how he was captured. I'd imagine he wasn't active military? I guess it would have said so if he was. I just don't know.
Since he was put to work very early in January, 1940, I know he was rounded up early.

I saw one hit on my grandfather's brother, Stanisław Zawiślak.
Kind of Confinement: Concentration Camp
Seat: Majdanek
Additional Notes: STAYING MAJDAN KASZTELAŃSKI. AT MAJDANK 1944
I don't know if he survived. Odds couldn't be good.

Very sobering information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> What, Why, How...? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: