PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 167

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:00 pm      Post subject: Names

I understand that recorded names can change due to them being recorded as they sounded, etc. I have been stuck trying to determine if two names in my tree are in fact the same person.

The names are wives of my great-great-great grandfather Paul Treichel. He married Rozalia Krygier in April 1849. According to the marriage entry, Rozalia was born about 1816 in Rumunki Paproty to Marcin Krygier and Catharine Janke.

Paul and Rozalia's marriage is followed by four birth records, the first one in March 1850, all naming the mother as Euphrosine Gregor (or Greger). Euphrosine's death record in November 1862 has her born in about 1816 in Paproty to Marcin Greger and Eva Greger.

I have not yet found Rozalia's birth or death record or a marriage record for Paul and Euphrosine or Euphrosine's birth record.

I am trying to determine whether Rozalia and Euphrosine are the same person. All of the records that I have found are signed by the same pastor.

How can one get from Rozalia to Euphrosine? Rozalia and Euphrosine have similar birth years and birthplaces, fathers but the mother's names are different.

I would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 709

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Names

treich wrote:
I understand that recorded names can change due to them being recorded as they sounded, etc. I have been stuck trying to determine if two names in my tree are in fact the same person.

The names are wives of my great-great-great grandfather Paul Treichel. He married Rozalia Krygier in April 1849. According to the marriage entry, Rozalia was born about 1816 in Rumunki Paproty to Marcin Krygier and Catharine Janke.

Paul and Rozalia's marriage is followed by four birth records, the first one in March 1850, all naming the mother as Euphrosine Gregor (or Greger). Euphrosine's death record in November 1862 has her born in about 1816 in Paproty to Marcin Greger and Eva Greger.

I have not yet found Rozalia's birth or death record or a marriage record for Paul and Euphrosine or Euphrosine's birth record.

I am trying to determine whether Rozalia and Euphrosine are the same person. All of the records that I have found are signed by the same pastor.

How can one get from Rozalia to Euphrosine? Rozalia and Euphrosine have similar birth years and birthplaces, fathers but the mother's names are different.

I would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks

Hi,

When Rozalia married Paul in 1849, she was 33 years old. That gives her year of birth approx. 1816.
I found Rozalia Krygier daughter of Marcin Krygier and Katarzyna Jankin. She was born in 1815 in the village of Paproty. Paproty belongs to the parish of Ruże.
I will look at other questions later.

Regards,
-Barb
treich

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:35 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Barb. I will look at the Familysearch Ruże records.

A correction: "Euphrosine's death record in November 1862 has her born in about 1816 in Paproty to Marcin Greger and Eva Marks"
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:11 pm      Post subject:

treich wrote:
Thanks Barb. I will look at the Familysearch Ruże records.

A correction: "Euphrosine's death record in November 1862 has her born in about 1816 in Paproty to Marcin Greger and Eva Marks"

Hi again,
Rozalia and Euphrosine are two different names, but Rozalia in the Evangelical Church is often written as Rozyna. So Rozyna is probably the same as Eufrozyna / Euphrosine.
I checked parish Michalki and the age of Euphrosine at the birth of the children confirms that she was born about 1815-16.
According to me Rozalia and Euphrosine are the same person.

Regards,
-Barb
treich

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:36 pm      Post subject:

Thanks again.

I have also seen Rosine linked to Euphrosine as a diminutive. I have also seen Krygier (aka Krueger) and Gregor linked.

Now to explain the different mothers' names in Rozalia and Euphrosine's records.

Peter
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:41 am      Post subject:

treich wrote:
Thanks again.

I have also seen Rosine linked to Euphrosine as a diminutive. I have also seen Krygier (aka Krueger) and Gregor linked.

Now to explain the different mothers' names in Rozalia and Euphrosine's records.

Peter

Hi Peter,
I could not find Rosalia's (Euphrosines) death record. Her registration of birth was in the parish where she was born and the priest knew both parents. She died a few years before Paul. He didn't know her mother. She had died before they married. The priest, the husband and the children did not know the family, and certainly did not remember the name. I see that the family moved quite a bit.

Best regards,
-Barb
treich

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:20 am      Post subject:

Thanks for the assistance. I have retrieve Rozalia's birth entry.

I am always looking for new sources. I have been using FamilySearch and https://metryki.genealodzy.pl. What were your sources?

I am still bothered by the conflicting mother names for Rozalia and Euphrosine i.e. Catharine Janke in Rozalia's birth and marriage entries and Eva Marks in Eufrozyna's death entry. Everything else points to Rozalia and Eufrozyna being the same person. That would be an extreme case of phonetics or is it an error?

I am dealing with something similar for Rozalia's husband Paul. The mother named in his death entry, Eva Betcher, does not line up with possible birth entries that I have found. The father, Christian, matches but I cannot find Christian linked to Eva Betcher (or Boettcher).
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:42 am      Post subject:

treich wrote:

I am always looking for new sources. I have been using FamilySearch and https://metryki.genealodzy.pl. What were your sources?

I am still bothered by the conflicting mother names for Rozalia and Euphrosine i.e. Catharine Janke in Rozalia's birth and marriage entries and Eva Marks in Eufrozyna's death entry. Everything else points to Rozalia and Eufrozyna being the same person. That would be an extreme case of phonetics or is it an error?

I am dealing with something similar for Rozalia's husband Paul. The mother named in his death entry, Eva Betcher, does not line up with possible birth entries that I have found. The father, Christian, matches but I cannot find Christian linked to Eva Betcher (or Boettcher).

Hi,
I think this might not be new to you, but I'll say it anyway. In Paul's death record I can read that he is survived by his wife Ludwika nee Czerska and 9 children: Ludwika, Katarzyna, Andrzej, Helena, Krystian, Fryderyk, Karol, Michal. The last two are the children of Pawel and Rosalia. If this is true, then Pawel and Ludwika married sometime between 1862 and 1868. They had no children together. Ludwika was the widow of Bartlomiej Karpinski, born about 1824. Did you see it? Do you know when and where they got married?
-Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:18 pm      Post subject:

treich wrote:

Betcher, Boettcher, Böttcher. Surnames can be written in different ways.
Read Michael's explanation here. It would help you understand spelling.
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=3263&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1335

-Barb
treich

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:33 pm      Post subject:

Quote:
Hi,
I think this might not be new to you, but I'll say it anyway. In Paul's death record I can read that he is survived by his wife Ludwika nee Czerska and 9 children: Ludwika, Katarzyna, Andrzej, Helena, Krystian, Fryderyk, Karol, Michal. The last two are the children of Pawel and Rosalia. If this is true, then Pawel and Ludwika married sometime between 1862 and 1868. They had no children together. Ludwika was the widow of Bartlomiej Karpinski, born about 1824. Did you see it? Do you know when and where they got married?
-Barb

Paul and Luise nee Czarski were married 6 May 1862. Entry No. 18 lists Luise as the widow of Christian Semrau who died 4 Mar 1855. Luise died 18 Jun 1892 (No. 129) https://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=20&zs=0393d&sy=1892&kt=3&plik=127-129.jpg#zoom=1&x=749&y=3359. I do not have a link between Luise and Bartlomiej.

Peter
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:05 pm      Post subject:

Correct, she was the widow of Kristian Semerau.

-Barb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: