PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:41 am      Post subject: Military Records

I would really appreciate some help in deciphering the entry for Joseph Studeny; I've found his name listed in the 58th Line Infantry Muster List and then a transfer to the Pioneer Corp. Attached are two links on FamilySearch to the 58th, both entries are very similar but I'm finding them hard to read.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9V4-TGCY?i=306&cat=372907

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9V4-TPFF?i=541&cat=372907

Firstly, I'm uncertain where he was born - it looks as if it was Grunwald in Bohemia but I can't understand why his details are written differently to the other men listed in the Muster List. His age indicates that he was born in 1782, although I can't make out all the words it looks as if he could have enlisted when he was 16 in 1798 and was initially in the Franz Kinskey Regiment which I believe was the 47th but I haven't been able to find his name listed there.

Jillian
Kmichael8

Replies: 548

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:28 am      Post subject: Re: Military Records

Jillian W wrote:
I would really appreciate some help in deciphering the entry for Joseph Studeny; I've found his name listed in the 58th Line Infantry Muster List and then a transfer to the Pioneer Corp. Attached are two links on FamilySearch to the 58th, both entries are very similar but I'm finding them hard to read.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9V4-TGCY?i=306&cat=372907

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9V4-TPFF?i=541&cat=372907

Firstly, I'm uncertain where he was born - it looks as if it was Grunwald in Bohemia but I can't understand why his details are written differently to the other men listed in the Muster List. His age indicates that he was born in 1782, although I can't make out all the words it looks as if he could have enlisted when he was 16 in 1798 and was initially in the Franz Kinskey Regiment which I believe was the 47th but I haven't been able to find his name listed there.

Jillian

Hello Jillian,

Joseph Studeny was „ein Soldatenkind von Grünwald in Böhmen gebürtig“ – he was the son of a soldier, what is mentioned in both documents.

He was “assentiert” on 21 September 1798. Assent or assentation (German: Assentierung) was the process of recruitment of persons liable to military service into the former Austrian Army. Stephan was assented „ohne Capitulation“, without an obligation to serve for a certain period (compare Gottlieb Dietze, no. 11 in the first document, he joined the army with a “6jährige Capitulation”, he promised to stay for six years). The next day, on 22 September 1798, Stephan was transferred to the 58th Regiment. His rank was that of a “Gemeiner” or private. On 18 August 1800 he was promoted to the rank of a “Gefreyter” [in modern German “Gefreiter”] and on 21 July 1803 to the rank of Corporal. On 27 August 1805 he was transferred to the Pioneer Corps.

In the first document you’ll find him 21 years old, a Catholic, unmarried and without profession, in the second document he was 27 years old and married. The second document also provides information about his “Conduite” or conduct (“good”) and about his “Montour” or his personal equipment: he got a “Mantel” or coat in 1803, a “Säbel” or sabre in 1805 and so on.

Hope this helps,
Michael
Jillian W

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:25 pm      Post subject: Military Records

Michael, thank you so much for your very clear explanation.

I'm beginning to realise that my initial belief that young men were all conscripted (if they hadn't already volunteered) around 20 years of age and that they all served the same given period of time is way off!

Once again, thank you,
Jillian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: