PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:15 am      Post subject: Decipher Polish name on NJ Marriage Cert? (Kaczmarczyk, Dec)

I am hopeful that someone more familiar with the breadth of Polish surnames can help me decipher the Groom's Mother's name on this 1904 marriage certificate from Passaic, New Jersey. I've had every script and calligraphy expert I know look at this one, and unfortunately, the record is difficult to read.

I'd also love to hear any ideas for alternative original Polish or "Americanized" variations of the surnames here. I know St. Joseph's church served a large community of Polish immigrants, so I'm assuming it's possible they "helped" immigrants spell or standardize names, hence the technically incorrect surnames.

Here's some of the pertinent information that I can read or decipher based on existing knowledge, which may help in understanding the handwriting:

GROOM: Adalbert Kaczmarczyk (later note on the record indicates Kacrmarczk, for some reason)
BRIDE: Rosalia Detz (later note transcribes it as "Vetz" for some reason...her actual surname is Dec)
BIRTHPLACE(S): I am reading this as "Galicia Austria" (Groom was born in Długopole, Nowy-Targ)

GROOM'S FATHER: John Kaczmarczyk
GROOM'S MOTHER: ??????

BRIDE'S FATHER: Felix Detz (actual surname: Dec)
BRIDE'S MOTHER: Sophia Popek

Thank you so much for any assistance.

[img]https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer/tree/196403954/person/402558295528/media/a8c34a52-0253-4bba-b99d-63eaacb41b48[/img]

Kasmar - Kacrmarozk, Adalbert marriage.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Kasmar - Kacrmarozk, Adalbert marriage.pdf
 Filesize:  553.87 KB
 Downloaded:  26 Time(s)

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 692

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:15 am      Post subject: Re: Decipher Polish name on NJ Marriage Cert? (Kaczmarczyk,

mckas wrote:
I am hopeful that someone more familiar with the breadth of Polish surnames can help me decipher the Groom's Mother's name on this 1904 marriage certificate from Passaic, New Jersey. I've had every script and calligraphy expert I know look at this one, and unfortunately, the record is difficult to read.

I'd also love to hear any ideas for alternative original Polish or "Americanized" variations of the surnames here. I know St. Joseph's church served a large community of Polish immigrants, so I'm assuming it's possible they "helped" immigrants spell or standardize names, hence the technically incorrect surnames.

Here's some of the pertinent information that I can read or decipher based on existing knowledge, which may help in understanding the handwriting:

GROOM: Adalbert Kaczmarczyk (later note on the record indicates Kacrmarczk, for some reason)
BRIDE: Rosalia Detz (later note transcribes it as "Vetz" for some reason...her actual surname is Dec)
BIRTHPLACE(S): I am reading this as "Galicia Austria" (Groom was born in Długopole, Nowy-Targ)

GROOM'S FATHER: John Kaczmarczyk
GROOM'S MOTHER: ??????

BRIDE'S FATHER: Felix Detz (actual surname: Dec)
BRIDE'S MOTHER: Sophia Popek

Thank you so much for any assistance.

[img]https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer/tree/196403954/person/402558295528/media/a8c34a52-0253-4bba-b99d-63eaacb41b48[/img]

Hi,
Look at this:
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=S&w=09pk&rid=S&search_lastname=popek+&search_name=zofia&search_lastname2=&search_name2=feliks&from_date=&to_date=&exac=1&rpp1=&ordertable=

In this parish, Katarzyna Dec, daughter of Feliks Dec and Katarzyna Popek married Paweł Mikołajczyk in 1890, and as Mikołajczyki's widow, she remarried Antoni Surdyka (1906).
Raniżów is a village in Kolbuszowa County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship, in south-eastern Poland.

Could Katarzyna be Rosalia's older sister?

The maiden name of the groom's mother is Brzegowska.
Regards,
-Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:11 am      Post subject:

Zofia Dec nee Popek died on April 6th, 1901 in the village of Mazury parish Raniżów.
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/skan/-/skan/b720de1a350e479260790e606980f0131e9804422783df56d00af515fb908d7c

Feliks Dec died on January 9th, 1890 in the village of Mazury parish Raniżów.
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/skan/-/skan/bc28cd2beceb4035918e666daf5e0e8cfc9e3d5f20421b5331073a6d0d48296f
mckas

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am      Post subject: Re: Decipher Polish name on NJ Marriage Cert? (Kaczmarczyk,

BarbOslo wrote:

Hi,
Look at this:
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=S&w=09pk&rid=S&search_lastname=popek+&search_name=zofia&search_lastname2=&search_name2=feliks&from_date=&to_date=&exac=1&rpp1=&ordertable=

In this parish, Katarzyna Dec, daughter of Feliks Dec and Katarzyna Popek married Paweł Mikołajczyk in 1890, and as Mikołajczyki's widow, she remarried Antoni Surdyka (1906).
Raniżów is a village in Kolbuszowa County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship, in south-eastern Poland.

Could Katarzyna be Rosalia's older sister?

The maiden name of the groom's mother is Brzegowska.
Regards,
-Barb

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer and pass along those records, Barb! I do suspect that they are sisters. I believe there were several Dec children, including a brother named Paul who witnessed Rose's marriage. Now if only I could find more information about the Kaczmarczyks! Off to look into Brzegowskas. Thank you for that suggestion!
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am      Post subject: Re: Decipher Polish name on NJ Marriage Cert? (Kaczmarczyk,

Hi,
What do you know about the Kaczmarczyk and Brzegowska families? Since you mentioned that Adalbert was born in Długopole, Nowy Targ, so his parents were married in Poland. I assume that Lotie is a shortened name from Charlotte. Correct? Do you have travel documents for Kaczmarczyk. Did parents come to the US together? Anything can help.
I tried to find something more about Dec / Popek, but couldn't find anything more either. I have access to Raniżów, but suspect that parents moved to the village later. Do you know where Rosalia was born? Do you have Manifest? Many questions, but to help, we would like to know more.

Regards,
-Barb
mckas

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm      Post subject:

I don't know anything about the Brzegowskas -- yet! I only just got a copy of this record and it's the first document with her name in it. I suppose it could be Lottie/Charlotte! I have been thinking it's possibly Catie (or some variation thereof). I'll have to explore both.

The Kaczymarczyks I know more about, as I am in the direct line, and Adalbert (who was called George by the time he moved to Chicago between 1910-1912) & Rose are in the family's living memory. Almost all of the family trees published online that include these records are incorrect, because they confuse him with a number of other similarly named Polish immigrants who ended up in Chicago (not sure if they're all related yet). It took me a while, but I found his travel documents, and that combined with this marriage certificate finally confirms his birth name and gives me the information I needed to explore the European history of the family.

Adalbert Kaczmarczyk immigrated to the New York in June of 1901, departing Bremen aboard the SS Koln. He was 19 years old and appears to have been traveling alone, with no one noted as a friend or relative at his final destination (NY). His documents indicate that he last resided in Wieizau, and his nationality is noted as being from Galacia, Austria, speaking Polish. This information lines up with his citizenship naturalization records, with the exception that in those records his birth nationality is noted as the Republic of Poland, and birthplace is specified as "Dhigopole, Poland". So he must have moved at some point after birth and before emigrating.

Rosalia's citizenship naturalization information just indicates that she was born in "Mazury, Poland," (which lines up with the record of Felix Dec and Sophia Popek) and that she emigrated to Passaic, NJ in February of 1902. Her travel documentation is my next search!
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm      Post subject:

mckas wrote:
I don't know anything about the Brzegowskas -- yet! I only just got a copy of this record and it's the first document with her name in it. I suppose it could be Lottie/Charlotte! I have been thinking it's possibly Catie (or some variation thereof). I'll have to explore both.

The Kaczymarczyks I know more about, as I am in the direct line, and Adalbert (who was called George by the time he moved to Chicago between 1910-1912) & Rose are in the family's living memory. Almost all of the family trees published online that include these records are incorrect, because they confuse him with a number of other similarly named Polish immigrants who ended up in Chicago (not sure if they're all related yet). It took me a while, but I found his travel documents, and that combined with this marriage certificate finally confirms his birth name and gives me the information I needed to explore the European history of the family.

Adalbert Kaczmarczyk immigrated to the New York in June of 1901, departing Bremen aboard the SS Koln. He was 19 years old and appears to have been traveling alone, with no one noted as a friend or relative at his final destination (NY). His documents indicate that he last resided in Wieizau, and his nationality is noted as being from Galacia, Austria, speaking Polish. This information lines up with his citizenship naturalization records, with the exception that in those records his birth nationality is noted as the Republic of Poland, and birthplace is specified as "Dhigopole, Poland". So he must have moved at some point after birth and before emigrating.

Rosalia's citizenship naturalization information just indicates that she was born in "Mazury, Poland," (which lines up with the record of Felix Dec and Sophia Popek) and that she emigrated to Passaic, NJ in February of 1902. Her travel documentation is my next search!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: