PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:06 am      Post subject: Władysława Kossewska & Jan Modzelewski

I am searching for Władysława Kossewska's ship manifest to Uruguay and the Władysława Kossewska & Jan Modzelewski marriage document - doesn't appear in Familysearch.org

Also, records show the couple is buried in Poland cemetery side by side. Is it common for immigrants to return to Poland or are is the burial symbolic?

Thanks

Władysława Kossewska & Jan Modzelewski 1.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Władysława Kossewska & Jan Modzelewski 1.pdf
 Filesize:  2.56 MB
 Downloaded:  32 Time(s)

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1030

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:05 am      Post subject: Re: Władysława Kossewska & Jan Modzelewski

skozewski wrote:
I am searching for Władysława Kossewska's ship manifest to Uruguay and the Władysława Kossewska & Jan Modzelewski marriage document - doesn't appear in Familysearch.org

Also, records show the couple is buried in Poland cemetery side by side. Is it common for immigrants to return to Poland or are is the burial symbolic?

Thanks

Hi Stephen,
This is likely your Wladyslawa, with the spelling of her surname as "Kosiewska" rather than "Kossewska." She is on Line 2.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:ZDJC-5KZM
I think you already have the manifest for Jan Modzelewski, but I will include it here anyway:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:ZD63-V92M
He is the 12th person on that list.
I looked at what Familysearch has online for marriage records for Uruguay, and specifically in Montevideo in 1933, and I agree that their marriage is not there. I do not know how to pursue records in Uruguay.
Regarding your question about burial in Poland, you cannot determine which of your two possibilities is the correct one, without finding more information. Yes, people who emigrate sometimes return and it is possible they really are buried in Poland. Also, it was not uncommon for families to include names on grave markers even if they are not specifically in that grave. Let me clarify that. I am familiar with cemeteries that were destroyed in WWII. When the graveyard was re-used, and a family member was interred, their gravestone could include the names of their parents, for example, who were known to have been buried in that graveyard but whose actual gravesite no longer existed. That is a slightly different scenario than if your Wladyslawa and Jan remained in Uruguay, and someone added their names to a gravestone in Poland. When you say "records show" the couple is buried in Poland, do you mean simply a photo of a gravestone? Or have you some document stating this?
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
skozewski

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:27 pm      Post subject: Władysława Kossewska & Jan Modzelewski

...appreciate you're finding the Uruguay ship manifests for Władysława and Jan. I'd have to think the burial of the couple was symbolic. The data was in Ancestry.

Thank you!!

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: