PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96
Author

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 pm      Post subject:

Michael -

This is amazing.  Thank you.

Dürrenbüchig makes a lot of sense.  I had two baptism records that I thought might be for Michael but I wanted more proof than just name and birthdate (Dec. 6, 1826).  The baptisms took place at Wössingen and Königsbach on the same day.  For some reason, in this family, all the children were baptised in both places.  Is that normal, do you know?  I never encountered that with the Schalkenbachs of Trier.  But Wössingen (now Walzbachtal), Königsbach and Dürrenbüchig are all right in the same little area which makes me more comfortable designating this as Michael's baptism.  I would love a translation when you have time.

As far as Maria goes, that was another WOW moment.  I had found Christian Ziegler and Eva Barbara Völker when I was looking for possible parents for Maria and her sister who is named Catherine Ziegler and has a birthdate of July 17, 1832 (She came over from Germany and married Michael after Maria died).  I initially ruled out Christian and Eva as possible parents for Maria and Catharine because I couldn't find any evidence of them having a daughter who could be Maria.  Enter: the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg. What an amazing resource I knew nothing about.  Thank you for introducing it to me.  Navigating it has been a bit tricky because I'm having Google translate each page German to English and sometimes that can be wonky.  I'll keep at it though.  Thank you!  That record you attached for Maria does not show up in Family Search so I might not have found it without your tip.  Thank you.

One last thing -- on the Family Search entry for Catharine, it looks like it might be a different Weingarten since it says West Prussia.  Would that be present day Poland?  What do you think?

Thanks for reading this far.  I so appreciate your translations and input!
Jaime

CatherineZieglerbaptism.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  638.08 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

CatherineZieglerbaptism.png

MichaelSchnabele2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  755.9 KB

MichaelSchnabele2.png

MichaelSchnabele1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  409.78 KB

MichaelSchnabele1.png

michaelschnablebirth2mb.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.91 MB

michaelschnablebirth2mb.jpeg

Kmichael8

Replies: 548

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:46 am      Post subject:

jmcenaney wrote:
Michael -

This is amazing.  Thank you.

Dürrenbüchig makes a lot of sense.  I had two baptism records that I thought might be for Michael but I wanted more proof than just name and birthdate (Dec. 6, 1826).  The baptisms took place at Wössingen and Königsbach on the same day.  For some reason, in this family, all the children were baptised in both places.  Is that normal, do you know?  I never encountered that with the Schalkenbachs of Trier.  But Wössingen (now Walzbachtal), Königsbach and Dürrenbüchig are all right in the same little area which makes me more comfortable designating this as Michael's baptism.  I would love a translation when you have time.

As far as Maria goes, that was another WOW moment.  I had found Christian Ziegler and Eva Barbara Völker when I was looking for possible parents for Maria and her sister who is named Catherine Ziegler and has a birthdate of July 17, 1832 (She came over from Germany and married Michael after Maria died).  I initially ruled out Christian and Eva as possible parents for Maria and Catharine because I couldn't find any evidence of them having a daughter who could be Maria.  Enter: the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg. What an amazing resource I knew nothing about.  Thank you for introducing it to me.  Navigating it has been a bit tricky because I'm having Google translate each page German to English and sometimes that can be wonky.  I'll keep at it though.  Thank you!  That record you attached for Maria does not show up in Family Search so I might not have found it without your tip.  Thank you.

One last thing -- on the Family Search entry for Catharine, it looks like it might be a different Weingarten since it says West Prussia.  Would that be present day Poland?  What do you think?

Thanks for reading this far.  I so appreciate your translations and input!
Jaime

Hi, Jaime.

Well, you raised several questions.

A starting point might be to have a look at the church book from Dürrenbüchig [Dürrenbüchig, evangelische Gemeinde: Geburtenbuch 1814-1869], Bild 34:

https://www2.landesarchiv-bw.de/ofs21/bild_zoom/zoom.php

Here you will find the entry of Michael Schnäbele:

No. 7) On 6 December [1826] at 4 o’clock in the afternoon was born and on the 10th of the same month at 10 o’clock in the morning was baptized in the church: Michael – the father was Johann Georg Schnäbele, a farmer, the mother Magdalena, born Wagner. Witnesses were Michael Goppelsröder, a farmer in Wössingen, Philipp Keller, a farmer in Wössingen, Juliane, born Schnäbele, wife of xxx [unsure] Jakob, farmer in Dürrenbüchig and Catharina, born Horst, wife of Wendl Horst, citizen of Dürkheim [unsure].
    This happened in Wössingen on 10 December 1826 and was signed by the priest Schumacher.

You will neither find this entry in the church book of Wössingen [Wössingen, evangelische Gemeinde: Geburtenbuch 1800-1839] nor in the church book of Königsbach [Königsbach, evangelische Gemeinde: Standesbuch 1823-1835]. Why not? I would assume there are two possible explanations:

The first one has to do with a parish and several villages belonging to this parish. The handling of this information was different in different church books. Sometimes you will find separates chapters for each village, sometimes you will find the information, were a child was born as part of the entry, sometimes – as in our case – it looks as if they even had different books, hence a separate one for Dürrenbüchig. This is where you will find the entries.

The other explanation has to do with indexing and the simple fact that the work of different persons doing the indexing might result and conflicting and not matching information. That might have happened here. It might also be the reason why Maria does not show up in Family Search and why in Catharine’s case a Weingarten in Western Prussia is mentioned.

Searching for “Weingarten” at Meyer’s Gazetter or “Meyers Orts- und Verkehrslexikon des deutschen Reichs“

https://s.meyersgaz.org/

will deliver 34 places with this name, one of them indeed in Western Prussia. But please compare the event place (Western Prussia) of the entry you attached with the information in the affiliate name (Baden): they do not match. Please find the entry for Catharine in Weingarten (Baden) here:

https://www2.landesarchiv-bw.de/ofs21/bild_zoom/zoom.php

Hope this helps,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 Page 96 of 96

Jump to: