PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Please help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 717

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:23 pm      Post subject:

iwomi wrote:
Sophia, jestem Ci bardzo wdzięczna za Twoją pomoc, to dla mnie bardzo ważne. Dziękuję wszystkim bardzo serdecznie pozdrawiam

Thanks Sophia.
Greeting,
Barb
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1035

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:37 pm      Post subject:

BarbOslo wrote:
iwomi wrote:
Sophia, jestem Ci bardzo wdzięczna za Twoją pomoc, to dla mnie bardzo ważne. Dziękuję wszystkim bardzo serdecznie pozdrawiam

Thanks Sophia.
Greeting,
Barb

Hi Barb,
Happy to jump in and help.
I looked at Google Maps and all of the roads within and outside of the cemetery have been photographed so you can see many of the grave stones BUT all of the names have been blurred out. What a disappointment!
I hope there is someone reading this who might be willing to phone the cemetery. The FindAGrave website that you posted the link to shows exactly which section the graves of John Baker and Victoria Baker are in. Perhaps a kind person at the cemetery will go out and take a photo. Unfortunately for me, Amsterdam NY is a long-distance call.
Anyone?
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:29 pm      Post subject:

Hi Iwona,
Here is one more little detail. I cannot see her actual death record, but I can tell you it uses true Polish spelling of her name: Wiktorya Andrzejewska.
Here is the index that shows that.
Best regards,
Sophia

record-image_(1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  932.94 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

record-image_(1).jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 302

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:17 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi Iwona,

For certain, Victoria died in 1924.

There is a newspaper "Amsterdam NY Daily Democrat and Recorder," and on the date May 17, 1934 they printed a column called "Twenty Years, Ten Years and One Year Ago Today" where they mention random stories from their newspaper, from the past. Among the "Ten Years Ago" items, it says this:

May 17, 1924. Mrs. Victoria Andrzejewska died.

That is all it says. Sorry, but I cannot find her obituary from 1924. It is possible that it exists but I am having no luck in my search.

Best,
Sophia

Hi Iwona, Sophia, and Barb,

Iwona, Do you need any other records for John Baker and Victoria Gurkaska? I saw they married 30 June 1910 in Amsterdam, New York. I saw census records for them. I can post them if you need them.

Sophia, What website did you find the obituary? I didn't see anything on newspapers.com.

Best regards,
Trish
iwomi

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:35 pm      Post subject:

Bardzo wszystkim dziękuję za pomoc. Akt małżeństwa i spisy ludności mam, brakowało mi aktów zgonu. Jestem bardzo szczęśliwa że wiem na co zmarł John Baker w tak młodym wieku. Mam pytanie czy jest szansa znaleźć jakieś dokumenty adopcyjne? Po śmierci Johna i Victoria dzieci zostały adoptowane przez Stella Malicki, ciotkę Victorii. W spisie z 1925 r. Są jako dzieci adoptowane. Pozdrawiam serdecznie Iwona
iwomi

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:36 pm      Post subject:

Sophia, czy strona gdzie znalazłaś informację o śmierci Johna jest ogólnodostępna?
iwomi

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:38 pm      Post subject:

I jeszcze pytanie gdzie mogę znaleźć, na jakim forum kogoś z Amsterdamu, kto zrobiłby mi przysługę i sfotografował zdjęcia nagrobków?
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:14 pm      Post subject:

iwomi wrote:
I jeszcze pytanie gdzie mogę znaleźć, na jakim forum kogoś z Amsterdamu, kto zrobiłby mi przysługę i sfotografował zdjęcia nagrobków?

Iwona, niestety szanse, ze ktos z Amsterdam, Montgomery NY jest czlonkiem tego forum sa male. Skontaktowalam sie z jedna osoba, ktora posiada zdjecia z tego cmentarza. Moze bedzie mogl pomoc.

Sophia & Trish,
I don't think anyone from Amsterdam, Montgomery NY is a member of this Forum. I have seen that Matthew Bielawa has posted some pictures. Sent an email to him. Other possibilities?

-Barb
iwomi

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:39 pm      Post subject:

Bardzo Ci dziękuję, czekam z niecierpliwością, pozdrawiam serdecznie
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:14 am      Post subject:

iwomi wrote:
Sophia, czy strona gdzie znalazłaś informację o śmierci Johna jest ogólnodostępna?

Hi Iwona, Trish and Barb,
A few items:
1. Yes, the website where I found John Baker's obituary is free to the public. I spent a lot of time looking for Amsterdam newspapers from May 1924 but they do not seem to be part of this collection. Perhaps you will find other newspaper articles that are interesting to you.
https://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
2. You asked about adoption documents. In New York state, the court papers are at the county level. Family Search has court papers for Montgomery County in Film #1491668, Item 3. However, they end at the year 1922. Even if they had them for the year you need (1924 or possibly 1925, I am guessing), they are not very interesting. If you want to see an example, go here:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YCR-Y1R?i=424&cc=1920234&cat=422847 and advance to Image #453 where they begin.
3. Regarding the cemetery, not every grave has a gravestone. When John Baker died in 1921, Victoria was left to care for 3 children. It may have been difficult, financially, to get a gravestone. The office of the cemetery should be willing to look at their records and tell you if a gravestone exists. They should also be able to tell you exactly where the grave is, within Section B of the cemetery (it may be called a Plot Number). This information will be very useful to any volunteer who is going to go look for the grave for you. Otherwise, it can be a lot of walking around to find the grave.
Best regards,
Sophia
iwomi

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:03 am      Post subject:

Hello, thank you very much for your valuable tips. Maybe there is no tombstone, but probably a grave, a plaque with the name and surname, there is a cross, since there is information about their burial. I don't know how it is in the US. Best regards and thank you Iwona
iwomi

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:40 am      Post subject:

I looked at the familysearch website for care cards. I really wish they were only up to 1922, and the site Sophia gave me on fultonhistory is great, I found some information about Stella Malicki who was the adoptive mother of the children after John and Victoria Baker died. Thanks again and have a nice day Iwona
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:57 pm      Post subject:

Hi Iwona,
I got this answer:

Hello Barb!
Thank you for reaching out to me! Unfortunately, I live about 4 hours away and do not plan on visiting Amsterdam any time soon (due to some medical issues.....else I would love to go!)
Please put in your request for photos directly in the FindAGrave website. Perhaps someone else will see it and provide the photo.
But should things change and I'm able to make the trip, I will certainly take the pictures.
Matthew
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2793

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:49 pm      Post subject:

iwomi wrote:
Hello, thank you very much for your valuable tips. Maybe there is no tombstone, but probably a grave, a plaque with the name and surname, there is a cross, since there is information about their burial. I don't know how it is in the US. Best regards and thank you Iwona

Cześć Iwona

Jan był członkiem parafii św. Jana Chrzciciela w Amsterdamie zgodnie z dokumentem, który znalazła Sophia (Amsterdam Evening Recorder, Tuesday, 13 December, 1921: Obituary of John Baker). W tym czasie istniały dwie polskie parafie katolickie w Amsterdamie—parafia św. Jana Chrzciciela i parafia św. Stanisława Biskupa i Męczennika. Każda parafia miała własny cmentarz. Mi się zdaje że możliwie został pochowany na cmentarzu św. Jana Chrzciciela.

Obecnie istnieje tylko jedna polska parafia w Amstradamie. W 2010 roku obie parafie zostały połączone i nowa parafia się nazywa parafia św. Stanisława. Księgi metrykalne parafii św. Jana są przechowywane w archiwum parafii św. Stanisława.

Kontakt:
Church of St. Stanislaus
50 Cornell Street
Amsterdam, New York 12010
Email:  [email protected]
Phone: (518) 842-2771
Staff
Rev. O. Robert DeMartini, pastor

Deacon Michael Ryba
Director of Administration and Finance

Dolores Dybas, M.A.
Parish Secretary

Beverly Scott
Office Assistant

Sprawdz te linki: https://dailygazette.com/2010/03/31/0331_church/
https://parishes.rcda.org/ststanislaus/cemetery.php

Serdecznie pozdrawiam z Indiany,

Dawid Nowicki
iwomi

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:12 am      Post subject:

Dziękuję za wszystkie cenne wskazówki, z których na bieżąco korzystam i dobre chęci. Napisałam do Kościoła w Amsterdamie. Bardzo serdecznie wszystkich pozdrawiam Iwona Milewska
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

Jump to: