PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:25 pm      Post subject: Nurczyk - Jacob 1884

Hello -

Looking for assistance in locating "Jacob Nurczyk" born in Russia, Poland on 7/25/1884. I have found WWI & WWII draft cards confirming this date but have not been able to trace him to any other siblings, cousins, or parents.

I believe he may have been born near either Wyk OR Lomza, Poland. His immigration record at Ellis Island, said he was coming from Wyk and was going to live with a brother "Vitold" in Pittsburgh upon arrival in 1902.

I have found a marriage record for Wyktor Nurcik and Anna Ratzviolic dated 6/5/1900 who lived in Pittsburgh as of 1900, which I assume may have been the brother referenced at Ellis Island.

Beyond that, the only other connection I have is that there is a Jacob and Victor Nurczyk buried in a cemetery in Illinois.

I have spent years working on this but have yet been able to identify any relatives/parents. I greatly appreciate any and all help/recommendations as I try and break through this brick wall!

Victor Nurczyk and Anna Ratzviolic Marriage Record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.85 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Victor Nurczyk and Anna Ratzviolic Marriage Record.jpg

Jakob Nurzyk Ellis Island.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  765.56 KB

Jakob Nurzyk Ellis Island.jpg

Jacob S Nurzyk - WII Draft Card.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  351.66 KB

Jacob S Nurzyk - WII Draft Card.jpg

Jacob Nurczyk WWI Draft Card.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  403.37 KB

Jacob Nurczyk WWI Draft Card.jpg

Send e-mail
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 704

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:44 pm      Post subject: Re: Nurczyk - Jacob 1884

nurz19 wrote:
Hello -

Looking for assistance in locating "Jacob Nurczyk" born in Russia, Poland on 7/25/1884. I have found WWI & WWII draft cards confirming this date but have not been able to trace him to any other siblings, cousins, or parents.

I believe he may have been born near either Wyk OR Lomza, Poland. His immigration record at Ellis Island, said he was coming from Wyk and was going to live with a brother "Vitold" in Pittsburgh upon arrival in 1902.

I have found a marriage record for Wyktor Nurcik and Anna Ratzviolic dated 6/5/1900 who lived in Pittsburgh as of 1900, which I assume may have been the brother referenced at Ellis Island.

Beyond that, the only other connection I have is that there is a Jacob and Victor Nurczyk buried in a cemetery in Illinois.

I have spent years working on this but have yet been able to identify any relatives/parents. I greatly appreciate any and all help/recommendations as I try and break through this brick wall!

Hello,
Look at this.
Wiktor Nurczyk born in Wyk (31.08.1869). Parents Józef and Józefa Cichoł.
-Barb

Wiktor Nurczik.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  192.15 KB

Wiktor Nurczik.jpg

Last edited by BarbOslo on Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:51 pm      Post subject:

"Beyond that, the only other connection I have is that there is a Jacob and Victor Nurczyk buried in a cemetery in Illinois"

Do you have pictures of tombstones? Does Wiktor's year of birth match?
Do you have Witold's / Wiktor's immigration record?

I can write to the parish of Nowogród and the Diocese Archives in Łomża, and check Jakob's date of birth.

Barb
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1034

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:49 pm      Post subject:

Hi Barb,
If you have not seen them, there have been previous discussions here on the forum about Nurczyk ancestors. They may be of interest, in helping Nurz19 with the current question.
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=59583&highlight=Nurczyk#59583
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=59408&highlight=Nurczyk#59408
Best regards,
Sophia
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:36 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi Barb,
If you have not seen them, there have been previous discussions here on the forum about Nurczyk ancestors. They may be of interest, in helping Nurz19 with the current question.
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=59583&highlight=Nurczyk#59583
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=59408&highlight=Nurczyk#59408
Best regards,
Sophia

Thank you Sophia. I already wrote to the parish in Wyk. Waiting a few days before I call Diocese Archives in Łomża. I know that it is not easy to get answers from parishes in Poland.

-Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Nurczyk - Jacob 1884

"I have spent years working on this but have yet been able to identify any relatives/parents. I greatly appreciate any and all help/recommendations as I try and break through this brick wall![/quote]"

Hello,
I have had Jakub Nurczyk's date of birth confirmed. He was born in the village Wyk, parish Nowogrod. I have also found his brother Wiktor's year of birth and his parents' names. In addition, Jakub had a brother Stanislaw who died as a child, and a brother named Teofil, +++ and the parents of all those mentioned were Józef Nurczyk and Józefa Cychol.

Here are 4 generations of Nurczyk from Jakub:
Jakub Nurczyk
Józef Nurczyk and Józefa Cychol
Tomasz Nurczyk and Marianna Pokornicka
Paweł Nurczyk and Katarzyna Spot
?Wawrzyniec Nurczyk and Franciszka Piekarz

Hope that helps you. Best of luck in your search.
I have built a loose branch (Nurczyk) on my Family Tree on Myheritage. Will add more dates when I get some time.

Last edited by BarbOslo on Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
nurz19

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:44 pm      Post subject:

Hi BaraOslo -

Can I ask how you had the date of birth confirmed? How did you find the 4 generations of Nurczyk from Jakub?

Are you saying that Jake has a brother named Stanislaw and Teofil and then another 3 siblings?

If you received this from a parish in Wyk, would you be able to share the name of the parish?

Jacob's Tombstone: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/44129177/jacob-nurczyk
Victor's Tombstone: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/41728280/victor-nurczyk

Thank you!!
Send e-mail
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:46 am      Post subject:

nurz19 wrote:
Hi BaraOslo -

Can I ask how you had the date of birth confirmed? How did you find the 4 generations of Nurczyk from Jakub?

Are you saying that Jake has a brother named Stanislaw and Teofil and then another 3 siblings?

If you received this from a parish in Wyk, would you be able to share the name of the parish?

Jacob's Tombstone: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/44129177/jacob-nurczyk
Victor's Tombstone: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/41728280/victor-nurczyk

Thank you!!

Hello
I wrote to you earlier that I will contact the parish that Wyk belongs to (parish of Nowogrod). The priest checked the old church registers and confirmed that the date of birth you had given was correct.
I also got the parents' names and ages. I wrote that Jacob was my ancestor.
Then I could start work. I do not know how many siblings Jakob had. I know about the three I mentioned, but there were more. I do not have access to church records 1871-1884.
I mainly used Genetyka. Here is the link:
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=10pl&rid=5634&search_lastname=&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=
I see that the year of birth on Wiktor's gravestone did not match (1869 / 1873). Can't explain it, without checking his documents in the US. Maybe Wiktor born in 1869 died as a child and the family gave the next child the first name Wiktor again?
Best regards,
Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:18 am      Post subject:

Sophia, if you're reading this. Could you check if you can find anything about Wiktor Nurczyk. Travel documents ++. His US marriage record downloaded here does not include his date of birth. You are the best!
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:22 am      Post subject:

It could be him.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:22 am      Post subject:

BarbOslo wrote:
It could be him.

Manifest Wiktor Nurczyk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.24 KB

Manifest Wiktor Nurczyk.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1034

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:37 am      Post subject:

Hi Nurz19 and Barb,
I looked at the documents assembled here so far. With apologies, I don't have the ability at the moment to get very immersed in them but I would like to offer a few thoughts. First, the surname. It is showing here as both Nurczyk and Nurcik. This does not bother me a lot. To someone who speaks Polish, the sounds of "-czyk" and "-cik" are very different, but to an american ear they sound very similar. I would take Nurczyk to be the proper Polish spelling. You can find people using that name in Poland, although it is a somewhat rare name (and that can be a good thing, for a genealogist!). Next, a comment about first names. Wiktor and Witold are not the same name. Is it possible for someone who is born Witold in Poland to decide to use Victor in the U.S.? Yes, sure they could. I just mention it as a caution that these may be two different people.
You also have several places to deal with. In the 1898 ship manifest that Barb just posted for Wiktor, he was going to Baltimore Maryland as his destination. Your other documents are for Pittsburg and Illinois. It is certainly possible for all of these to be correct. It may help you to pull together a timeline for each of these people, where you include places, to see if you can make sense of it all.
If I think of anything more helpful, I will post again.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: