PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 34

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:05 pm      Post subject: Resources for finding a widowed/remarried ancestor

Is there any available resource to look up an ancestor (great grandmother) who was widowed at age 27 with four small boys and who might have remarried. Records indicated she might have lived in Topola or Wielowes at the time of her husband's death. Later, her son's wedding record indicates a different name for her, as the parent, if I have the correct record. Any suggestions on how to search for a remarried widow? Thank you.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 703

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:09 pm      Post subject: Re: Resources for finding a widowed/remarried ancestor

travelwithme wrote:
Is there any available resource to look up an ancestor (great grandmother) who was widowed at age 27 with four small boys and who might have remarried. Records indicated she might have lived in Topola or Wielowes at the time of her husband's death. Later, her son's wedding record indicates a different name for her, as the parent, if I have the correct record. Any suggestions on how to search for a remarried widow? Thank you.

Hi,
Give some more information.

-Barb
travelwithme

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:33 pm      Post subject:

My great grandmother was Josepha (Lewandowski) Gaszak married to Joseph Gaszak on October 21, 1865 at Our Lady of Scapular in Ostrowo, Poland. Joseph was born Feb 25, 1843 and died in March 25, 1872. He was 29 and Josepha was 27 years old. He died in Wielowies Poland. Josepha (Lewandowski) Gaszak had my grandfather, Valentine Gaszak, born in 1871, was only 1 years old. I believe he had three other brothers, Michael, Andreas and Wojcech, but I am not sure. It is Michael's Gaszak's records which makes me question if Josepha remarried with a new last name of Pawlowska. I know nothing about Josepha's life prior to her marriage other than her maiden name was Lewandowski and she might have been born around 1845. I hope this helps.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:53 am      Post subject:

travelwithme wrote:
My great grandmother was Josepha (Lewandowski) Gaszak married to Joseph Gaszak on October 21, 1865 at Our Lady of Scapular in Ostrowo, Poland. Joseph was born Feb 25, 1843 and died in March 25, 1872. He was 29 and Josepha was 27 years old. He died in Wielowies Poland. Josepha (Lewandowski) Gaszak had my grandfather, Valentine Gaszak, born in 1871, was only 1 years old. I believe he had three other brothers, Michael, Andreas and Wojcech, but I am not sure. It is Michael's Gaszak's records which makes me question if Josepha remarried with a new last name of Pawlowska. I know nothing about Josepha's life prior to her marriage other than her maiden name was Lewandowski and she might have been born around 1845. I hope this helps.

Hallo,
It is quite normal for young widows and widowers to remarry. It generally happens within 1-3 years. Sometimes earlier. This applies especially to men. They marry very quickly. Someone has to look after the children when they are working.
When a woman remarries, her surname (after the deceased husband) must appear first in the record
Ex. 1900 Jozef Gaszak – Jozefa Lewandowska
1905 Jan Kowalski – Jozefa Gaszak

In contrast, when the couple's child is born, the mother's maiden name is always stated.
Ex. 1901 Anna father: Jozef Gaszak – mother: Jozefa Lewandowska
1906 Maria father: Jan Kowalski – mother: Jozefa Lewandowska

I found Josepha's marriage record from 1865, but see nothing after 1872. Strange!

You mentioned that the couple had 4 children: Michael, Wojciech, Andreas and your grandfather Walenty. I can confirm the last two. Andreas was born on November, 12th, 1867 in Dobiesławice. In 1892 he married Rosalia Koczorowska.

I believe that you know all about Walenty, since he is your grandfather.

Michael, I'm not sure. Don't know if he is the son of Joseph and Josepha. Josepha's surname at his birth and wedding was given as Pakowska / Rakowska. He was born on September, 11th, 1866 in Wielowies.

I couldn't find anything about Wojciech.

In the death record of Joseph, it is stated that he is survived by his wife and 3 sons. Andreas, Walenty and ? Michael.

Jozefa Gaszak nee Lewandowska lived in 1892 in the village of Batkowo.

I will try to look at this again.

Best regards,
-Barb

Maps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.26 KB
 Viewed:  1 Time(s)

Maps.jpg

Last edited by BarbOslo on Mon May 01, 2023 6:23 am; edited 7 times in total
travelwithme

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:53 am      Post subject: Gaszaks

Hi Barb, Thank you so much for your help. Where did you find the marriage record for Andreas Gaszak married to Rosalia Koczorowska? By looking at this map, it most likely are my relatives since I have been tracking all of the towns or villages that my ancestors were from. I wrote a list from all of the documents which I accumulated. I do have the birth record for Andreas Gaszak born 1867 but nothing more. So his marriage record would be helpful and might provide more clues. i have no documents for Wojciech Gaszak but I have the year of birth as 1870 in the town of Branno. Michael Gaszak was born in 1866. I just received his birth and marriage record to Elizabeth Zaganiacz. On both the birth record in 1866 of Michael and his marriage document is where Josepha shows up with a different last name. I am new to this site, so I am not sure how I could attach these two documents to this message. These two documents really are a puzzle for me and prompt me to ask the question about being a widow who remarried. However, when I look at the differences in names at the time of birth for Michael, it doesn't add up. Joseph was deceased in 1872 and yet Josepha has a different last name in 1866 at the time of Michael's birth. Michael being the first born would possibly mean that her maiden name was actually Pawlowska and not Lewandowska? Or I have the wrong Michael Gaszak? I would appreciate any help on this and if there is a way to send you the two documents I already have, please let me know. Thanks again. Marsha
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:27 am      Post subject: Re: Gaszaks

travelwithme wrote:
Hi Barb, Thank you so much for your help. Where did you find the marriage record for Andreas Gaszak married to Rosalia Koczorowska? By looking at this map, it most likely are my relatives since I have been tracking all of the towns or villages that my ancestors were from. I wrote a list from all of the documents which I accumulated. I do have the birth record for Andreas Gaszak born 1867 but nothing more. So his marriage record would be helpful and might provide more clues. i have no documents for Wojciech Gaszak but I have the year of birth as 1870 in the town of Branno. Michael Gaszak was born in 1866. I just received his birth and marriage record to Elizabeth Zaganiacz. On both the birth record in 1866 of Michael and his marriage document is where Josepha shows up with a different last name. I am new to this site, so I am not sure how I could attach these two documents to this message. These two documents really are a puzzle for me and prompt me to ask the question about being a widow who remarried. However, when I look at the differences in names at the time of birth for Michael, it doesn't add up. Joseph was deceased in 1872 and yet Josepha has a different last name in 1866 at the time of Michael's birth. Michael being the first born would possibly mean that her maiden name was actually Pawlowska and not Lewandowska? Or I have the wrong Michael Gaszak? I would appreciate any help on this and if there is a way to send you the two documents I already have, please let me know. Thanks again. Marsha

Hi Marsha,
Andreas Gaszak married Rosalia Koczorowska on October 1st, 1892 in Wrzesnia (attachment)
They had the children:
Mieczysław 1892-1893
Kazimierz 1894
Franciszek 1896
Anthony 1897
Stanisław 1899-1900
Marianna 1901-1906
Wojciech 1903-1903
Leon 1904-1906
Marianna 1908
Jadwiga 1909-1909
Stanisława 1910

Joseph Gaszak left behind his wife and 3 sons. Andreas and Walenty are two of them.
The two others (Michael and Wojciech). Only one can be the son of Joseph Gaszak and Josepha Lewandowska.
Genetyka does not provide much information about Wojciech. Marriage record or death record would help. I couldn't find anything.
Michael. The mother's surname at his birth and wedding are almost identically spelled: Pakowska / Rakowska, but it is not similar to Lewandowska.

-Barb

Add attachment.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.29 KB

Add attachment.jpg

M-Gaszak-Koczorowska, 1892.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.81 MB

M-Gaszak-Koczorowska, 1892.jpg

travelwithme

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:48 pm      Post subject: Michael Gaszak

Hi Barb, Thank you for the document on Andreas. I came across another Michael Gaszak married to Marianne Jozwiak, but that was in 1823. I am really baffled by not being able to find anything on Josepha. If these records are the correct ones, it means Josepha had a different last name before Joseph passed on. There is probably little chance that there was a divorce and a remarriage before her ex-husband passed away in 1872? This is the biggest mystery. Perhaps, like you said, Joseph and Josepha had three boys...Andreas, Wojciech and Valentine. But I have a census record which I believe pertains to them and it mentions a Michael as a son.

Joseph Gaszak, Josepha and sons and info re residence census (1860, 1932) in Wielowices-7_69_0_4_318.jpg
 Description:
A census of Joseph Gaszak and family?
 Filesize:  947 KB

Joseph Gaszak, Josepha and sons and info re residence census (1860, 1932) in Wielowices-7_69_0_4_318.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:06 pm      Post subject: Re: Michael Gaszak

travelwithme wrote:
Hi Barb, Thank you for the document on Andreas. I came across another Michael Gaszak married to Marianne Jozwiak, but that was in 1823. I am really baffled by not being able to find anything on Josepha. If these records are the correct ones, it means Josepha had a different last name before Joseph passed on. There is probably little chance that there was a divorce and a remarriage before her ex-husband passed away in 1872? This is the biggest mystery. Perhaps, like you said, Joseph and Josepha had three boys...Andreas, Wojciech and Valentine. But I have a census record which I believe pertains to them and it mentions a Michael as a son.

Hi,
I also found the document you attached. This explains all. I'll write back soon.

-Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:35 pm      Post subject: Re: Michael Gaszak

BarbOslo wrote:
travelwithme wrote:

Hi,
I also found the document you attached. This explains all. I'll write back soon.

-Barb

Hi again,

This is the status as of January 1871:
Husband: Joseph Gaszak - born in 1842 in Orlowo
Wife: Josepha nee Lewandowska - born in 1844 in Lipie
Son: Michael – born 1866 in Wielowies
Son: Andreas – born 1867 in Dobiesławice
Son: Wojciech – born 1870 in Kijewo – died 29.04.1870
Everything was clarified. The three sons mentioned in Joseph's death record from 1872 were: Michael, Andreas and your grandfather Walenty who was not yet born at that time.

-Barb
travelwithme

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:59 pm      Post subject:

Hi Barb. Where on the list does it mention that Wojciech died the same year when he was born? I must have missed that. In my notes I did write to Magroski49 from Geneteka requesting Wojciech Gaszak's birth record of 1870, Record 1, but I have not heard back. I do not see a death record in 1870 for Wojciech. It does solve one part of the puzzle, but Josepha, his mother, still remains a mystery. Do I have the right people and if I do, why is Josepha's last name different in 1866 when her husband, Joseph, was still alive? I don't think I have the wrong people or wrong records, do you think? In what region of Poland is Lipie where Josepha was born?
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:22 pm      Post subject:

travelwithme wrote:
Hi Barb. Where on the list does it mention that Wojciech died the same year when he was born? I must have missed that. In my notes I did write to Magroski49 from Geneteka requesting Wojciech Gaszak's birth record of 1870, Record 1, but I have not heard back. I do not see a death record in 1870 for Wojciech. It does solve one part of the puzzle, but Josepha, his mother, still remains a mystery. Do I have the right people and if I do, why is Josepha's last name different in 1866 when her husband, Joseph, was still alive? I don't think I have the wrong people or wrong records, do you think? In what region of Poland is Lipie where Josepha was born?

Residence census fam. Gaszak.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  797.7 KB

Residence census fam. Gaszak.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:23 pm      Post subject:

BarbOslo wrote:
travelwithme wrote:

Lipie.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.81 KB

Lipie.jpg

travelwithme

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:31 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for the map. It is in the same area. I hope I can come up with Josepha's birth and death records now that I know Lipie is in the Kuyavian Pomeranian volvodeship. Thank you bunches, Barb.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 11:55 am      Post subject:

travelwithme wrote:
Thank you for the map. It is in the same area. I hope I can come up with Josepha's birth and death records now that I know Lipie is in the Kuyavian Pomeranian volvodeship. Thank you bunches, Barb.

Hi Marsha,
Could you please attach the birth record of Joseph Gaszak. Was he born in Orlowo as stated in the residence census. Which parish?
Barb
travelwithme

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:13 pm      Post subject:

Hi Barb, Here they are.

Joseph Gaszak death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.62 MB

Joseph Gaszak death.jpg

Joseph Gaszak birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB

Joseph Gaszak birth.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: