PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 34

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:38 am      Post subject: Searching for Martin Lewandowski

I have been searching for my grandparent's son, Martin Lewandowski, who was born in the year of 1871. According to a Polish census record, he was born in the town of Balin, Poland. His parents were Andreas Lewandowski and Lucia (Lewandowski) Lewandowski. I have searched Geneteka for him, but it seems that are no records of any kind for him...birth, marriage or death. I also searched for him in the US since his mom, as a widow, immigrated to the US in 1906 with her daughters. Twice I thought I might have found him in the US, but my request for his marriage records indicated different parents....it was the wrong Martin. Other than the census record, I have nothing else on him. Can anyone suggest where else or how else to search for him. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance. Marsha
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 704

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:51 am      Post subject: Re: Searching for Martin Lewandowski

travelwithme wrote:
I have been searching for my grandparent's son, Martin Lewandowski, who was born in the year of 1871. According to a Polish census record, he was born in the town of Balin, Poland. His parents were Andreas Lewandowski and Lucia (Lewandowski) Lewandowski. I have searched Geneteka for him, but it seems that are no records of any kind for him...birth, marriage or death. I also searched for him in the US since his mom, as a widow, immigrated to the US in 1906 with her daughters. Twice I thought I might have found him in the US, but my request for his marriage records indicated different parents....it was the wrong Martin. Other than the census record, I have nothing else on him. Can anyone suggest where else or how else to search for him. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance. Marsha

Hi Marsha Smile
Can you post the Polish census record?

-Barb
travelwithme

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:12 pm      Post subject: Polish Census Record

Hi Barb, It is good to be in touch with you once again. Thank you for writing. I have attached the Polish census record of the family and #4 lists Martin Lewandowski and the town of Balin where he was born. Other than that I do not know and cannot find anything on him. I was hoping he immigrated to the US around the same time his mother did in 1906, but cannot find anything. Thank you for your help once again.

Andreas and Lucia Lewandowski Birth of Children.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  338.04 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Andreas and Lucia Lewandowski Birth of Children.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:01 am      Post subject: Re: Polish Census Record

travelwithme wrote:
Hi Barb, It is good to be in touch with you once again. Thank you for writing. I have attached the Polish census record of the family and #4 lists Martin Lewandowski and the town of Balin where he was born. Other than that I do not know and cannot find anything on him. I was hoping he immigrated to the US around the same time his mother did in 1906, but cannot find anything. Thank you for your help once again.

Hi Marsha,
Nice to hear from you.
Have you found the birth records for Martin's other siblings?
3 villages are mentioned in this census record. All are located a short distance from each other. Mulingen that all three births were registered in the same parish. I think so. Based on location I would think it is Inwroclaw. Unfortunately I didn't find anything there. Inowrclaw is a big town and I didn't check out all the parishes. Last night I sent an email to the State Archives Bydgoszcz department Inowroclaw with questions about localization. I will contact you as soon as I receive a reply from the archive. I guess it will take up to a week.
Also thinking about emigrating to the USA. You mentioned that Lucia came to the US in 1906 with two daughters. If Martin did not come with his mother and sisters, then I would check an earlier journey for him around 1902-1905.

Have a nice weekend,
-Barb
travelwithme

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:09 am      Post subject: Records of Martin's siblings

Hi Barb,
Yes, I found everyone with the exception of Martin and Josef, who at least, we have his birth record. I will wait patiently to hear back from you. In the meantime, I will check again for any earlier immigration records for Martin between 1902-1905. He did not come with his mom and two sisters. Have a very pleasant fourth of July weekend. ----Marsha
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:19 pm      Post subject: Re: Records of Martin's siblings

travelwithme wrote:
Hi Barb,
Yes, I found everyone with the exception of Martin and Josef, who at least, we have his birth record. I will wait patiently to hear back from you. In the meantime, I will check again for any earlier immigration records for Martin between 1902-1905. He did not come with his mom and two sisters. Have a very pleasant fourth of July weekend. ----Marsha

Where did you find these? Which parish? Could you please send me one or two?

-Barb
travelwithme

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:48 pm      Post subject: Birth records of Martin's siblings

Hi Barb, Here are a few of the birth records of Martin's siblings. One is Lucya Lewandowski Bialoszynski and the other is Marianna Lewandowski Kwiatkowski.

Marsha
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:04 pm      Post subject: Re: Birth records of Martin's siblings

travelwithme wrote:
Hi Barb, Here are a few of the birth records of Martin's siblings. One is Lucya Lewandowski Bialoszynski and the other is Marianna Lewandowski Kwiatkowski.

Marsha

Marsha,
You forgot to add. Which parish?

-B.
travelwithme

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:10 pm      Post subject: Resized Birth Records of Marianne and Lucya-Martin's sisters

The original documents were too large for this site. I resized them.

Maria Lewandowski-Sized and Cropped Larger-Daughter of Andreas and Lucia Lewandowski Birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB

Maria Lewandowski-Sized and Cropped Larger-Daughter of Andreas and Lucia Lewandowski Birth.jpg

Lucia (Lucya)Lewandowski-Daughter of Andreas and Lucia Lewandowski Sized Birth Cropped Larger.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  917.94 KB

Lucia (Lucya)Lewandowski-Daughter of Andreas and Lucia Lewandowski Sized Birth Cropped Larger.jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:32 pm      Post subject: Re: Searching for Martin Lewandowski

travelwithme wrote:

Hi Marsha,
What a great find! How did you find the Polish Census record for your family? Are the records online for various areas?

Good Luck with your research!
Trish
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:47 pm      Post subject: Re: Searching for Martin Lewandowski

Trish wrote:
travelwithme wrote:

Hi Marsha,
What a great find! How did you find the Polish Census record for your family? Are the records online for various areas?

Trish

Trish, there is something at https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/
Sending you the link by email.

- Barb
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Searching for Martin Lewandowski

BarbOslo wrote:
Trish wrote:
travelwithme wrote:

Hi Marsha,

Trish

Hi Barb,
Thank you! I do use that link to find vital records for my towns. I have not seen any census records.
Regards,
Trish

Trish, there is something at https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/
Sending you the link by email.

- Barb
travelwithme

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:04 pm      Post subject:

Hi Barb and Trish,

Happy Fourth of July! I looked at the link but do not find anything. I have tried to search for Martin on this website before using Balin as his birth town and birth year 1871. Nothing comes up with a Martin matching that birth year.

Thank you,

Marsha
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1034

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:52 am      Post subject:

Hi Marsha, Trish and Barb,
I would like to add a thought here. The record you posted is not actually a census record.
It appears to be from a civil registry book. In Polish archives the phrase for registry books is "księgi meldunkowe."
In German records, they can be called "Seelenliste" and in Polish "Lista dusz" both of which (if taken literally) mean "list of souls."
Unlike a census which is a snapshot in time, they were a living document - - when you went somewhere to live, you registered there. It was updated, as things changed. Your name would be crossed out if you moved away.
That is what you are seeing in the document for the Lewandowski family. The "Abgang" column shows the date of them leaving, and where they were going to. The place name looks to me like Inowroclaw.
There should be a registry book for Inowroclaw, showing the family living there, but I do not know if those records are available to you online.
Best regards,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2793

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:45 am      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi Marsha, Trish and Barb,
I would like to add a thought here. The record you posted is not actually a census record.
It appears to be from a civil registry book. In Polish archives the phrase for registry books is "księgi meldunkowe."
In German records, they can be called "Seelenliste" and in Polish "Lista dusz" both of which (if taken literally) mean "list of souls."
Unlike a census which is a snapshot in time, they were a living document - - when you went somewhere to live, you registered there. It was updated, as things changed. Your name would be crossed out if you moved away.
That is what you are seeing in the document for the Lewandowski family. The "Abgang" column shows the date of them leaving, and where they were going to. The place name looks to me like Inowroclaw.
There should be a registry book for Inowroclaw, showing the family living there, but I do not know if those records are available to you online.
Best regards,
Sophia

Hi Sophia, Marsha, Trish and Barb,

Geneteka has a sub-site for scans of księgi meldunkowe: https://meldunkowe.genealodzy.pl/
It is a work in progress with new locations being added as volunteers complete indexing.. The lion’s share of the books currently listed are housed in the Włocławek branch of the Polish National Archives. Currently Inowroclaw is not on the list but perhaps will be in the future

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: