PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 709

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:54 am      Post subject:

travelwithme wrote:
Hi Trish,
Perhaps I could search for a marriage record of Martin first? Then it might tell me more in order to find a birth or death record. It doesn't appear for now that he immigrated to the US since what ever records I found were not the correct Martin Lewandowski, son of Andreas and Lucia Lewandowski. (I did find that Lucia's brother, Stephen Lewandowski (born 1852) did come to Milwaukee and remarried.) Thank you for all of the work you are putting into this to help me. --Marsha

Hi Marsha,
I checked for possible weddings for Martin in the period 1889-1933.
He turned 18 in 1889. I found 4 that could fit:
1889 - act 54
1892 - act 36
1895 - act 3
1898 - act 99
Unfortunately, these are based on an index, and I can't see more.

-Barb
travelwithme

Replies: 34

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:33 am      Post subject: Name of town

Hi Sophia,
Thank you so very very much. For the longest time I was searching for the town that I had written in my notes as "Junirladist". I looked every where to see what it could be but have not found anything, so it was just left in my notes. Now I know it is the city of Inowroclaw. How exciting. I learn so much from everyone and I appreciate it very much. ---Marsha
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1034

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:52 am      Post subject: Re: Name of town

travelwithme wrote:
Hi Sophia,
Thank you so very very much. For the longest time I was searching for the town that I had written in my notes as "Junirladist". I looked every where to see what it could be but have not found anything, so it was just left in my notes. Now I know it is the city of Inowroclaw. How exciting. I learn so much from everyone and I appreciate it very much. ---Marsha

Hmmm. I am wondering if I have this right. Perhaps it is Latin for something? When I search google for other occurrences of Junivladisl it is not leading me to Inowroclaw.
Apologies for the uncertainty.
Sophia
travelwithme

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:51 pm      Post subject:

Barb, do you know how I can search by the Acts that you provided and where? In what program? Thank you, Marsha
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:21 pm      Post subject: Re: Name of town

Sophia wrote:
travelwithme wrote:
Hi Sophia,

Hmmm. I am wondering if I have this right. Perhaps it is Latin for something? When I search google for other occurrences of Junivladisl it is not leading me to Inowroclaw.
Sophia

That's right, Sophia.
Inowrocław - Polish
Hohensalza - German
Junivladislavia / Inovladislavia- Latin

-Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:26 pm      Post subject:

travelwithme wrote:
Barb, do you know how I can search by the Acts that you provided and where? In what program? Thank you, Marsha

Hi Marsha
These are found in St. Nicolai Church in Inowroclaw. I don't have access to it. But these may be in the State's register (if Martin's wife comes from that place). Then act numbers will not agree with the church.
Best to check both in Inowroclaw town (miasto) and Inowroclaw village (wies).

-Barb
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:17 pm      Post subject: Re: Name of town

BarbOslo wrote:
Sophia wrote:
travelwithme wrote:
Hi Sophia,

Sophia

That's right, Sophia.
Inowrocław - Polish
Hohensalza - German
Junivladislavia / Inovladislavia- Latin

-Barb

Thanks, Barb!
So Marsha, just amend what I wrote, to get the full name. I was writing Junivladisl (which is what I saw in the church book, I guess they ran out of room in the column) but write it in your records as Barb shows it here, the full name is Junivladislavia.
Sophia
travelwithme

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:57 pm      Post subject:

Barb and Sophia,
At least that small mystery for me is solved. My notes on the town are now corrected. You know, I came across this record, list of souls, which has me question if this could be Martin? I am first learning to read or translate these records, so I might now be very good, but I do see under Martin's line what I think is mentioning a trip to the US. His birth year does not match the 1871, but the towns are in the area my ancestors are from. Maybe there is something in this record you might see that I don't that could help me determine if it my relative? Maybe I am just grasping for straws. (Or reading into the record as my relative when he might be.) Thank you for any feedback. .....Marsha

7_70_0_2_55 (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.29 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

7_70_0_2_55 (4).jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:10 pm      Post subject:

travelwithme wrote:
Barb and Sophia,
At least that small mystery for me is solved. My notes on the town are now corrected. You know, I came across this record, list of souls, which has me question if this could be Martin? I am first learning to read or translate these records, so I might now be very good, but I do see under Martin's line what I think is mentioning a trip to the US. His birth year does not match the 1871, but the towns are in the area my ancestors are from. Maybe there is something in this record you might see that I don't that could help me determine if it my relative? Maybe I am just grasping for straws. (Or reading into the record as my relative when he might be.) Thank you for any feedback. .....Marsha

Hi,
No, this is not the Martin we are looking for. Look at birth years of the other children of Andreas and Lucia. Catharina was also born in 1874 (April, 29).

-Barb
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:00 pm      Post subject:

travelwithme wrote:
Barb and Sophia,

Hi Marsha,
You have the right approach, continuing to look for traces of your Martin in other records. In this case, what I see on the record you posted puts me in agreement with Barb, that this is not your Martin.
I would point out the column after the column with the names, "Stand oder Gewerbe." It is showing the relationship of the person on each line to the head of household. Here, the head of household is Jakob Lewandowski, the next line is Michalina, his "ehefrau" (wife). In the next two lines, Adalbert and Joseph, we see that the person doing the writing uses 2 different forms of the letter "s" (both are correct forms), and the word is "sohn" meaning son, although for these two sons the notation is "sohn ad. 2" which I am not familiar with. From their birth info, they appear to be twins, so maybe that is what the notation shows. Otherwise, I wonder if it is a reference to them being born from a prior marriage? If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested. Now, the Martin Lewandowski on the following line is also listed as "sohn." Thus, his parents are Jakob and Michalina. I do think this rules him out.
You are correct that there is a note of his emigration, on the 6th of November 1890. He seems to be seven months after the emigration of his parents. It says "nach Amerika."
Keep searching,
Sophia
travelwithme

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:48 am      Post subject:

Sophia, thank you for pointing this out. I will continue to search for Martin's records, especially now that I know the family was in Inowroclaw around 1884 and Martin would have been a teenager living with his parents if his birth year was truly 1871. His father, Andreas, died in 1889 making him only 18 years old when his father passed away. And Martin would have been 35 years old when his mom came to the US in 1906. My best lead would be his records in Inowroclaw. The search continues. Thank you. Marsha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Page 3 of 3

Jump to: