PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Polish or German citizen?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:43 pm      Post subject: Polish or German citizen?

My father's family maintain they were German before emigrating to the USA in 1951 because they spoke German, not Polish, at home. We lack paperwork! Family came by ship from Germany and were processed through Ellis Island. The ship's manifest lists them as German but birth place as Poland.

Here are names and birth details:

Father: Siegmund Stawischinski, born 26 June 1940 in Lodz (he says his birth certificate was in German, but at the time of his birth, that part of Poland was under German control and Lodz had been renamed to Litzmannstadt)
Grandfather: Roman Stawischinski, born 09 August 1902 in Rochocinek (Posen)
Great grandfather (first name unknown) Teichmann born 1850 in Drescau (Posen)

We don't know why grandfather's name was changed from Teichmann to Stawischinski.

I'm just curious whether my family were ethnic Germans or German citizens and if the details about places of birth help to establish anything.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 704

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish or German citizen?

ChrysT wrote:
My father's family maintain they were German before emigrating to the USA in 1951 because they spoke German, not Polish, at home. We lack paperwork! Family came by ship from Germany and were processed through Ellis Island. The ship's manifest lists them as German but birth place as Poland.

Father: Siegmund Stawischinski, born 26 June 1940 in Lodz (he says his birth certificate was in German, but at the time of his birth, that part of Poland was under German control and Lodz had been renamed to Litzmannstadt)

We don't know why grandfather's name was changed from Teichmann to Stawischinski.

I'm just curious whether my family were ethnic Germans or German citizens and if the details about places of birth help to establish anything.

Hello,
Your father was born in 1940. The Germans occupied Poland in 1939. At that time, German was mandatory for churches and offices. Therefore, his birth documents were written in German. Stawiszynski is a typical Polish surname. Teichman sounds German. Many German families lived in Poland. Especially in the areas of Silesia, Posen, West and East Prussia. The name change is interesting, but it will not be easy to find the reason for it. Sometimes in state documents, an annotation about a name change has been entered.
I'm a little unsure if you have the correct name for the birthplace of both your great-grandfather and grandfather. Can't find those locations on the map. Do you have any documents confirming the date and place?

Best regards,
-Barb
ChrysT

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:30 am      Post subject:

Many thanks for your help! The surname spelling is very helpful.

We don't have any further information that what I've given you. It's based on family memories, not documents!

I'll do some digging with the surname.
TedMack

Replies: 483

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:00 am      Post subject: Re: Polish or German citizen?

BarbOslo wrote:
ChrysT wrote:

Hello,
Your father was born in 1940. The Germans occupied Poland in 1939. At that time, German was mandatory for churches and offices. Therefore, his birth documents were written in German. Stawiszynski is a typical Polish surname. Teichman sounds German. Many German families lived in Poland. Especially in the areas of Silesia, Posen, West and East Prussia. The name change is interesting, but it will not be easy to find the reason for it. Sometimes in state documents, an annotation about a name change has been entered.
I'm a little unsure if you have the correct name for the birthplace of both your great-grandfather and grandfather. Can't find those locations on the map. Do you have any documents confirming the date and place?

Best regards,
-Barb

G'day Chrys & Barb

Would "Rochocinek (Posen)" actually be - Ruchocinek a village in the administrative district of Gmina Witkowo, within Gniezno County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland. It lies approximately 5 kilometres south-east of Witkowo, 21 km south-east of Gniezno, and 63 km east of the regional capital Poznań.

And would "Drescau (Posen)" be Dresnau as per the attachment from - http://www.kartenmeister.com/preview/City.asp?CitNum=22502

That's my guess.

Cheers
Ted

Dresnau.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.97 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Dresnau.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:36 am      Post subject: Re: Polish or German citizen?

G'day Chrys & Barb

Would "Rochocinek (Posen)" actually be - Ruchocinek a village in the administrative district of Gmina Witkowo, within Gniezno County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland. It lies approximately 5 kilometres south-east of Witkowo, 21 km south-east of Gniezno, and 63 km east of the regional capital Poznań.

And would "Drescau (Posen)" be Dresnau as per the attachment from - http://www.kartenmeister.com/preview/City.asp?CitNum=22502

That's my guess.

Cheers
Ted[/quote]

Hi Chrys and Ted,
Correct. The place is called Ruchocinek. Ruchocinek does not belong to Witkowo but to the neighboring town. It is the parish and state office of Powidz. I found the birth record of Roman Stawiszynski. His parents were Michael and Maria Stawiszynska nee Lewandowska.

Dessvere Dresnau is too far from Ruchocinek. So it must be somewhere that is a bit closer.

-Barb

B-Stawiszynski Roman, 1902.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.11 MB

B-Stawiszynski Roman, 1902.jpg

ChrysT

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:51 pm      Post subject:

I'm crying...

This looks very much like it's my Opa's birth certificate. I've emailed it to my sister. What interesting handwriting!

This is so very very kind of you. You have no idea how much this means to us.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:36 pm      Post subject:

ChrysT wrote:
I'm crying...

This looks very much like it's my Opa's birth certificate. I've emailed it to my sister. What interesting handwriting!

This is so very very kind of you. You have no idea how much this means to us.

Hello again,
Back to my last message. Yes, it is the birth record of your grandfather Roman. The date and place match what you wrote.
I wrote his mother's first name wrong. Her name was Anna, not Maria.
This record is written in German, but on the left side is a comment in Polish. It is informed that your grandfather who was Catholic at birth changed his religion. From April 10, 1939, he belonged to the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
And my last sentence starting with "dessverre". It means "unfortunately" in English. I use the Norwegian language on a daily basis, and sometimes it goes a little too fast.
So finally something new. After an intense search, I found the marriage record of your great grandfather Michael. You have his and grandmother Anna's date and place of birth + names of parents (your great-great-grandparents).

- Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:39 pm      Post subject:

Trying to send the marriage record as p.m.
B.
ChrysT

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:25 am      Post subject:

I'll send my email in the private message area.

Yes, we knew our Opa had converted to SDA and many in the family are still members of that church. Thank you for the translation.

Once again, your kindness is very much appreciated. My sister and I have documentation relating to my mother's side of the family, but very little on my father's side. The information is being sent on to my father and cousins as well. We are so very grateful for all the assistance you've provided.
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:16 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish or German citizen?

Quote:
G'day Chrys & Barb

That's my guess.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Chrys and Ted,
Correct. The place is called Ruchocinek. Ruchocinek does not belong to Witkowo but to the neighboring town. It is the parish and state office of Powidz. I found the birth record of Roman Stawiszynski. His parents were Michael and Maria Stawiszynska nee Lewandowska.

Dessvere Dresnau is too far from Ruchocinek. So it must be somewhere that is a bit closer.

-Barb

Hi Chrys, Barb, and Ted,
I found two siblings of Roman Stawiszynski on family search.

Death record of Ignatz Stawiszynski
Ignatz Stawiszynski - died: 3 September 1887 - Record #33 - DGS Film #007769642 - Image: 114

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSMD-RFJB?cc=4116415&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A6FHR-CN2M

Marriage record of Marian Stawiszynski
Marian Stawiszynski - born: 23 March 1897 - Married: Kazimiera Kaczmarska - Date: 6 November 1921 - Record #145 - DGS Film #008021672 - Image: 686 (Note: There is town listed under Marian's name that I cannot make out.)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSXN-GL3R?cc=4116415&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A6FCN-MZ16

Hope this helps!
Trish
ChrysT

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:24 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much! I failed to find these.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2793

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish or German citizen?

Trish wrote:
Quote:
G'day Chrys & Barb

That's my guess.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Chrys and Ted,

-Barb

Hi Chrys, Barb, and Ted,
I found two siblings of Roman Stawiszynski on family search.

Death record of Ignatz Stawiszynski
Ignatz Stawiszynski - died: 3 September 1887 - Record #33 - DGS Film #007769642 - Image: 114

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSMD-RFJB?cc=4116415&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A6FHR-CN2M

Marian Stawiszynski - born: 23 March 1897 - Married: Kazimiera Kaczmarska - Date: 6 November 1921 - Record #145 - DGS Film #008021672 - Image: 686 (Note: There is town listed under Marian's name that I cannot make out.)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSXN-GL3R?cc=4116415&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A6FCN-MZ16

Hope this helps!
Trish

Hi Trish & ChrysT,

The place name is Puck, a town in woj. Pomorskie, pow. pucki (siedziba), gmina Puck (siedziba). The entry states that Marian (Polish)/Marion (English) was a single young man/bachelor (iuv[enis]) from Puck.

A note regarding a word found in the column headings...agnomen, agnominis, n., surname is a synonym for the much more common cognomen, cognominis, n., surname

Wishing you continued success,

Dave
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:00 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish or German citizen?

Hello Chrys,
I have found a few new documents. These only apply to direct ancestors (not siblings). Sending by email.
Best.
-Barb

Stawiszinski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.93 KB

Stawiszinski.jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:25 am      Post subject: Re: Polish or German citizen?

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Trish

Hi Trish & ChrysT,

The place name is Puck, a town in woj. Pomorskie, pow. pucki (siedziba), gmina Puck (siedziba). The entry states that Marian (Polish)/Marion (English) was a single young man/bachelor (iuv[enis]) from Puck.

A note regarding a word found in the column headings...agnomen, agnominis, n., surname is a synonym for the much more common cognomen, cognominis, n., surname

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you for verifying the name of the town.
Regards,
Trish
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:16 am      Post subject: Re: Polish or German citizen?

Hi Chrys,
Here are new Stawiszynski records. I will send these later by e-mail.
-Barb

Stawiszynski 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.95 KB

Stawiszynski 1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: