PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:02 am      Post subject: Church and Civil Marriage 1937?

Does anyone know whether it would be standard practice for couple to have in effect two wedding ceremonies in Poland in 1937?

My grandparents, Roman Stawiszynski/Stawischinski, born 09 August 1902 in Ruchocinek (we have a copy of his birth certificate) married Alwine Lorenz, born 20 February 1906 in Adamowka, Dubnow (we don't have her birth certificate) in 1937.

They were members of the Seventh Day Adventist church, living in Kostopol at the time. They told their oldest son (my long deceased uncle) that they were married March 1937.

However, we've found the sworn testimony my grandparents gave in April 1951 when seeking to enter West Germany. In that statement, my grandfather states ''Wir haben am 26 September 1937 in Kostopol, Krs Kostopol (Wolhynien) vor dem Standesamt die Ehe miteinander geschlossen.' In English, 'On 26 September 1937 in Kostopol we sealed our marriage at the registry office.' No mention is made of a church wedding, although later in the same document grandfather states that they are members of the SDA church, so it wasn't as if they wanted to hide their church affiliation.

Their first child was born in December 1937, so it may be that they pretended to have been married in March to save embarrassment. Or conversely maybe they had their church wedding at that time and later on a civil registration?

We don't have any marriage documents yet, but I'm planning to approach the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Poland and in Ukraine to ask if they have any records. I also plan to try the registry office in Kostopol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: