PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Research Dead End
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:11 pm      Post subject: Research Dead End

I have been researching my paternal side and have hit a dead end. My great grandparents names were Antoni Wrublewsky and Vega Wrublewsky (Maketzky). I don't know if my great grandfather had any siblings, my great grandmother had one brother that I know of. I have some documentation from their lives in Aberdeen South Dakota, but nothing but vague information about where they came from. From what I have been able to gather, Antoni came to the United States in 1908. On census forms and WWI documents his home of origin has been listed as Russia and Poland. I haven't been able to find any immigration information through Ellis Island, Castle Garden, or other immigration sources. My great grandmother's information on census paper state that she immigrated in 1911, her brother Joseph John Maketzky also states he immigrated in 1911. I assume they came over together but I am not certain this is true. A 1920 census, shows that Joseph's surname spelled Majeska. I have done some research on the surname Maketzy and Majeska. Maketzky doesn't show up anywhere, I have found a few instances of Majeska, but the name Majewska is more common. I'm not sure if this is even the correct surname, as the family has gone by Maketzky since at least the 1930s. I have found information military draft cards for Joseph list his birth place as Lida Poland, and his naturalization paperwork says he was born in Vilna Russia. I am assuming Vega was born in or around the same area as her brother. I know boarders have changed more than once and have tried researching Lithuania, Belrus, Poldand, and Russia. I have also researched records through the state, county, and town records in South Dakota with no success. I know I don't have much information to go on, but if anyone has any suggestions on where else I can find information it would be much appreciated. Thank you
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1034

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:12 pm      Post subject: Re: Research Dead End

roblewsky wrote:
I have been researching my paternal side and have hit a dead end. My great grandparents names were Antoni Wrublewsky and Vega Wrublewsky (Maketzky). I don't know if my great grandfather had any siblings, my great grandmother had one brother that I know of. I have some documentation from their lives in Aberdeen South Dakota, but nothing but vague information about where they came from. From what I have been able to gather, Antoni came to the United States in 1908. On census forms and WWI documents his home of origin has been listed as Russia and Poland. I haven't been able to find any immigration information through Ellis Island, Castle Garden, or other immigration sources. My great grandmother's information on census paper state that she immigrated in 1911, her brother Joseph John Maketzky also states he immigrated in 1911. I assume they came over together but I am not certain this is true. A 1920 census, shows that Joseph's surname spelled Majeska. I have done some research on the surname Maketzy and Majeska. Maketzky doesn't show up anywhere, I have found a few instances of Majeska, but the name Majewska is more common. I'm not sure if this is even the correct surname, as the family has gone by Maketzky since at least the 1930s. I have found information military draft cards for Joseph list his birth place as Lida Poland, and his naturalization paperwork says he was born in Vilna Russia. I am assuming Vega was born in or around the same area as her brother. I know boarders have changed more than once and have tried researching Lithuania, Belrus, Poldand, and Russia. I have also researched records through the state, county, and town records in South Dakota with no success. I know I don't have much information to go on, but if anyone has any suggestions on where else I can find information it would be much appreciated. Thank you

Hi!
Welcome to the forum. Let's see if we can help you find them.
I am going to make an educated guess that the original spelling of Antoni's surname was Wróblewski.
Would you be able to post images here, of the documents you have so far? Census, WWI registration, etc. That would save me from looking them up.
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:27 pm      Post subject:

A possible spelling of your great-grandmother's maiden name is MAKICKI. Very rare. Some people with that surname lived in Białystok according to this surname distribution tool:
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Makicki

Listen to how that name sounds:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=pl&tl=en&text=Makicki%20&op=translate and click on the "listen" icon.
You can hear how close it sounds to Maketzky.

But this is just a working hypothesis for the surname spelling.

Sophia
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 704

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:56 pm      Post subject:

Hello,
I agree with you Sophia. The surnames Wroblewski and Makicki we must take a closer look. Until we get more information, it will only be hypotheses.
Wilno is located in Lithuania. Lida in Belarus.
Parish Wawiórka (Belarusian Vaverka) is located approx. 25 km from Lida. Genetyka shows that the surname Makicka / Makicki is found in this parish.
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?search_lastname=makicka&search_lastname2=&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&bdm=&w=&op=se&lang=eng&exac=1
Surname Wroblewski is also found in Wawiórka.
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=B&w=22br&rid=5312&search_lastname=wroblewski&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&exac=1&rpp1=&ordertable=

Regards,
-Barb
roblewsky

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:34 pm      Post subject: Sophia and Barb

Thank you both so much for the help, I apologize for not replying sooner I didn't realize anyone had answered. The advice and spelling of the Makicki name will hopefully open some new doors. I would have never been able to figure out a possible alternate spelling of Maketzky on my own. I just found the obituaries Joseph and Vega a couple days ago. The obituary confirmed that Joseph immigrated to the U.S. from Lida. The obituary for Vega mentioned she had two other brothers, William and Casper, living in Poland. I was also able to find the names of Joseph and Vega's parents. Their parents names were John and Agatha, I'm guessing the equivalent would be Jan and Agata. I will Post documents shortly. I can't thank you enough for the help.

Christian
roblewsky

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:35 pm      Post subject: Documents

Attached are some of the documents I have found. The 1920 census had to be cropped, the original was to big to upload. The surname for Antoni and Vega was Rubulurke on the census, this is the only instance of that spelling and I'm pretty positive the census taker spelled their surname wrong.The Army transport document lists Ibwiga Robdowsky as Joseph's relative, the surname is obviously a typo but I'm not sure if Ibwiga is a typo or common name.

1920 Census.jpeg
 Description:
1920 census
 Filesize:  975.22 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1920 Census.jpeg

Maketzky.jpg
 Description:
WWI Draft Card
 Filesize:  246.39 KB

Maketzky.jpg

Anna Roblowsky.jpg
 Description:
Anna Roblewsky 1925 Census
 Filesize:  58.97 KB

Anna Roblowsky.jpg

Vega Obituary.pdf
 Description:
Vega Obituary

Download
 Filename:  Vega Obituary.pdf
 Filesize:  68.57 KB
 Downloaded:  41 Time(s)

Joesph Maketzky Obituary.pdf
 Description:
Joseph Obituary

Download
 Filename:  Joesph Maketzky Obituary.pdf
 Filesize:  76.12 KB
 Downloaded:  42 Time(s)

Last edited by roblewsky on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
roblewsky

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:48 pm      Post subject: More documents

Attached are a couple more documents.

Maketzky_Naturaliztion.jpg
 Description:
Joseph's naturalization paperwork
 Filesize:  805.83 KB

Maketzky_Naturaliztion.jpg

Joseph WWII Draft Card.jpg
 Description:
WWII draft card
 Filesize:  246.39 KB

Joseph WWII Draft Card.jpg

Joseph draft card.jpg
 Description:
Draft Card
 Filesize:  320.08 KB

Joseph draft card.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:21 am      Post subject: Re: Documents

roblewsky wrote:
The Army transport document lists Ibwiga Robdowsky as Joseph's relative, the surname is obviously a typo but I'm not sure if Ibwiga is a typo or common name.

Hi Christian,
Thanks for uploading all these documents. It should help. One quick thought. You did not upload the Army transport document, but the spelling "Ibwiga" makes me think the name was Jadwiga. If you know how that is pronounced in Polish, you will see a direct connection to the name Vega. Any thoughts on how we get from Vega to Minnie?

Best regards,
Sophia
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:41 am      Post subject:

Hi Sophia and Trish
Do you manage to find Manifest for Jadwiga and Jan Joseph Makicki (Makecki, Maketzky) ca. 1911? I'm thinking about where they came from and the family in Poland that was listed in this document.
Regards,
-Barb
mm_88

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:07 am      Post subject:

Hello,

there is a passenger list for Jadwiga Grablewska from Beresuk (?), Russia, daughter of Jan Makicki, traveling in 1911 to her husband Anthony Grablewski. I can't read his address, but maybe it is somewhere in S Dak (South Dakota)? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJKQ-S6F

There is also a passenger list for Josef Makicki from Bierozug (?), Russia, son of Jan Makicki, traveling in 1912 with his uncle Karol Makicki but their final destination is New York, not South Dakota. So it might be just a similarity of surnames, although there was Karol Makicki in Wawiórka parish that Barb mentioned (there are also records for Jan and Agata Makicki). https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJR4-W3G

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:32 pm      Post subject:

mm_88 wrote:
Hello,

there is a passenger list for Jadwiga Grablewska from Beresuk (?), Russia, daughter of Jan Makicki, traveling in 1911 to her husband Anthony Grablewski. I can't read his address, but maybe it is somewhere in S Dak (South Dakota)? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJKQ-S6F

There is also a passenger list for Josef Makicki from Bierozug (?), Russia, son of Jan Makicki, traveling in 1912 with his uncle Karol Makicki but their final destination is New York, not South Dakota. So it might be just a similarity of surnames, although there was Karol Makicki in Wawiórka parish that Barb mentioned (there are also records for Jan and Agata Makicki). https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJR4-W3G

Hello,
Great Monika. It must be the Manifest we are looking for. The age is suitable.
-Barb
roblewsky

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:36 pm      Post subject: Army transport document

Attached is the Army transport document.

Ibwiga.jpg
 Description:
Army Document
 Filesize:  1.39 MB

Ibwiga.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:52 pm      Post subject:

Hi Christian, Barb and Monika,
This is getting very interesting! I do think the manifest that Monika found is the right one. Barb and Monika, can you make any sense of the town given in the two manifests? Christian, do you have any insight into why your Vega is called Minnie in the obituary? The Army Transport document appears to me to have been typed up based on some handwritten info submitted to the typist, because they clearly had difficulty with the spelling of Joseph Maketzky's sister's surname, so why not have difficulty reading her given name as well. A handwritten capital "I" and a handwritten capital "J" will look very similar. So I am staying with the possibility that her given name was Jadwiga, and Vega was a nickname derived from that (albeit one I am not familiar with). A handwritten capital "J" also looks very similar to a handwritten capital "Y" which is the reason for many people having difficulty distinguishing New York (NY) from New Jersey (NJ) on ship manifests. The manifest that Monika found for Joseph has him going to Perth Amboy, New Jersey. The manifest for Jadwiga Grablewska has her going to Java, South Dakota. That is a good 75 mile journey from Aberdeen, South Dakota, but that is not a huge distance.
Looks like things are coming along!
Sophia
roblewsky

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:25 pm      Post subject: 1910 Census

Found this 1910 Census from Walworth County South Dakota. Antoni Rablefsky appears in this census, and Walworth County is where the town Java located. I am guessing this is why Jadwiga was going to Java South Dakota. I am sure these are my great grandparents.

Rablefsky.jpg
 Description:
Found a 1910 Census
 Filesize:  1.11 MB

Rablefsky.jpg

mm_88

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:30 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,

thank you for clarifying the name of the town in New Jersey - for some reason New York stuck in my head and that's why I was surprised at such a long distance to Aberdeen...

As for the name of the town given in both manifests, there is a village Berezovka just a few kilometers from Wawiorka. That could be Brzozówka from Geneteka records that Barb posted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: