PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:42 pm      Post subject: Help understanding supplemental marriage documents

Hi all,

So, I don't really need these translated word for word, but I am trying to understand the purpose of the supplemental marriage documents for Anna Dorothea Krygier. From what I can make out, one document seems to list her parents as Jan and Marianna Krygier, but then another document which is an excerpt from the pages of the parish book where she was baptized lists her parents as Michal and Anna Krystyna nee Buch /Buk. I also found her original birth record and her parents were Michal and Ann Krystyna. So, can someone tell me, is the purpose of the supplemental documents to correct a mistake, i.e., change her parents from Jan and Marianna to Michal and Anna Krystyna?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Cynthia

1822 Muller-Krygier marriage annex4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.36 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1822 Muller-Krygier marriage annex4.jpg

1822 Muller-Krygier marriage annex3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.32 MB

1822 Muller-Krygier marriage annex3.jpg

1822 Muller-Krygier marriage annex2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.37 MB

1822 Muller-Krygier marriage annex2.jpg

1822 Muller-Krygier marriage annex1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB

1822 Muller-Krygier marriage annex1.jpg

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1030

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:32 am      Post subject: Re: Help understanding supplemental marriage documents

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi all,

So, I don't really need these translated word for word, but I am trying to understand the purpose of the supplemental marriage documents for Anna Dorothea Krygier. From what I can make out, one document seems to list her parents as Jan and Marianna Krygier, but then another document which is an excerpt from the pages of the parish book where she was baptized lists her parents as Michal and Anna Krystyna nee Buch /Buk. I also found her original birth record and her parents were Michal and Ann Krystyna. So, can someone tell me, is the purpose of the supplemental documents to correct a mistake, i.e., change her parents from Jan and Marianna to Michal and Anna Krystyna?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,
After the dozens upon dozens of times you stepped up to help people on this forum, I hope that someone more fluent in Polish than I am might help you.
Here is what I think is happening in these documents. When a couple was getting married, but they were not both from the parish in which the marriage was taking place, the church wanted proof of a few things. First, they wanted assurance that the individuals had been baptized, and secondly they wanted assurance that they were not already married somewhere else or if they had been widowed, some proof of that. Sometimes this shows up as documents sent by the church where they came from. In your case, you seem to have sworn statements from Jakob Gramz (Grams?) and Krzystof Hass (spelling?) that they know Jan Benjamin Miller is who he says he is. You also have a page of marriage banns.
I have seen, in church books, notations where names get corrected, and in such cases they indicate both names. I do not think that is happening here. I think that the marriage banns probably just states the mother's name incorrectly.
Sorry I could not be of more help.
Sophia
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 692

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:15 pm      Post subject: Re: Help understanding supplemental marriage documents

Hi Cynthia,
Sofia's explanation is correct.
Announcements before the wedding ceremony were read in the church / place the bride and groom come from, and in the place where they will be married. As Sophia has written, when a couple were to get married, but they were not both from the parish where the wedding took place, the church wanted proof of a few things. First, they wanted assurance that the persons had been baptized, or documentation confirming that the spouse was not alive. These documents were sent from the congregation they come from to the parish where the wedding will take place, and are called "Annexes"
Sometimes it was impossible to obtain these documents due to distance, health, etc. Then someone who knew the bride or groom had to tell the priest everything he saw about this person. Like age, where they came from, names of parents, when they met, how they met... It's called "Akt znania" in Polish. "Znania" comes from the word "znac". It means knowing something about.

Doc. 1. Announcement. Both live somewhere other than where they were born. The priest knows little or nothing about the family. And I therefore believe that the names of the parents of the bride were not written correctly.

Doc. 2. The bride's birth certificate was sent. You can read that the name of the parents does not match the names given in the announcement. This error was not seen by the priest.

Doc. 3 and 4 are two-sided. The priest wrote that it was impossible to get hold of the birth record. Two witnesses gave the priest information about the groom and his family.

The errors in the documents are usually corrected directly on the original document, with an additional note. This can be done immediately after the document has been read and signed. Sometimes the errors are never detected, causing problems for searches.

Hope it helps.
Best regards,
- Barb
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:17 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sophia and Barb,

Thank you both for your replies. This makes sense to me, and it is also good to know that the priests did not always catch / correct errors. You are right Barb - when this happen, it causes confusion for the researcher. Thanks to your replies, I can stop scratching my head now…

I also figured out that Anna Dorota’s mother Anna Krystyna remarried after the death of her husband. She married Jan Krygier. So, at the time of Anna Dorota’s marriage, she was living with her mother and step-father - Jan and Anna (was written as Marianna by the priest). This could be how the mistake in the banns came about.

Appreciate your help in putting this question to rest.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: