PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Belowich Search
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:32 am      Post subject: Belowich Search

I have been working on this brick wall for years, our Belowich side (I am sure this is not how you spell it, but I can find nothing on my great grandfather or great-grandmother (last name Romanowska, from Ejszyski, Lido, Poland, that is what her naturalization papers say) I am unable to find any history on either side from before they arrived in America very early 1900's. I do know their 1st child was born in Wilno, Poland in 1909. I have tried to find her birth record in an attempt to get information about her parents, but have not been successful. Are the archives in Lithuania still closed down?
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 692

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:47 am      Post subject: Re: Belowich Search

laurienor wrote:
I have been working on this brick wall for years, our Belowich side (I am sure this is not how you spell it, but I can find nothing on my great grandfather or great-grandmother (last name Romanowska, from Ejszyski, Lido, Poland, that is what her naturalization papers say) I am unable to find any history on either side from before they arrived in America very early 1900's. I do know their 1st child was born in Wilno, Poland in 1909. I have tried to find her birth record in an attempt to get information about her parents, but have not been successful. Are the archives in Lithuania still closed down?

Hi,
Can you download what you managed to find about the family. We will look into this.
Regards,
- Barb
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1029

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:07 pm      Post subject:

Barb, you may be interested in the previous discussion here:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=54346&highlight=belowich#54346
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:36 am      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Barb, you may be interested in the previous discussion here:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=54346&highlight=belowich#54346

Wow, Sophia. I'm impressed that you remember posts from three years ago. I don't remember what I did last week, lol.
Back to the point.
Laurienor, you write as follows:
"According to what I have, Stanislaw Cebrat was born approx 1862, and his son Wojciech (Albert) Cebrat was born in 1888 in Żywiec. Albert is my maternal great grandfather. I know there are a lot of Cebrats from Żywiec but I am unable to connect any of them to my line. I do have a marriage certificate for Albert that lists his mother as Annie Michulec/Mullits/Muelits. I was advised that Stanislaw was the son of Woicieck Cebrat, but I am not 100% this is correct”.

Were Stanislaw Cebrat and Annie Michulec/Mullits/Muelits spouses? If yes, not everything you write is correct.
Stanislaw Cebrat married Anna Michulec on February 19 in 1878 in parish Rychwałd. The place is located a few kilometers from Zywiec.
Stanislaw was the son of Josephus and Anna Krzak, 24 years old. Anna was the daughter of Petrus and Marianna Szwed, 18 years old.
It also means that Stanislaw Cebrat was born abt. 1854, not 1862.

Also the last sentence from your post. Was Stanislaw the son of Wojciech (Albert, Adalbert)? or the other way around?
Anyway, there is almost nothing online. There is no possibility to check this without visiting/contacting the Archdiocesan Archive in Kraków.

Laurienor, back to your post yesterday. Share with us what you have. I can check parishes in Wilno.
Regards,
-Barb
laurienor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 pm      Post subject: Belowich Search

Hello there, I am also impressed! I put two families in that post and it was convoluted, so I am trying to be more focused this time. My Belowich side is very difficult as the spelling of my grandfather is most definitely not correct, but Americanized.
My grandmothers name was Kazmira Romanowska and she was born approx 1889 and according to her naturalization paperwork, was born in Ejszyski, Lido, Poland. Several of her census records also state she was born in Russia. She married a Michael Belowich (I am sure this is americanized) and had a daughter, Jadwiga, in 1909, then came to the states in 1913. Her daughter Jadiwiga, (later Helen) was born in Wilno according to census records and the town they lived in according to passenger records was Wilno with Kazmiras father, but we are unable to make out his name. My grandfather went to American a few years before Kazmira did. I am unable to find anything on either one of them and any relatives that may have been able to assist have long since passed away.

Thank you for any assistance!
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 pm      Post subject: Re: Belowich Search

laurienor wrote:
Hello there, I am also impressed! I put two families in that post and it was convoluted, so I am trying to be more focused this time. My Belowich side is very difficult as the spelling of my grandfather is most definitely not correct, but Americanized.
My grandmothers name was Kazmira Romanowska and she was born approx 1889 and according to her naturalization paperwork, was born in Ejszyski, Lido, Poland. Several of her census records also state she was born in Russia. She married a Michael Belowich (I am sure this is americanized) and had a daughter, Jadwiga, in 1909, then came to the states in 1913. Her daughter Jadiwiga, (later Helen) was born in Wilno according to census records and the town they lived in according to passenger records was Wilno with Kazmiras father, but we are unable to make out his name. My grandfather went to American a few years before Kazmira did. I am unable to find anything on either one of them and any relatives that may have been able to assist have long since passed away.

Thank you for any assistance!

Hello,
I think that Michael's surname was originally Biełowicz/ Białowicz.
I have checked the parish of Ejszyszki to find Kazimiera Romanowska. In the years 1887-89, only one girl with that name was born. 15.01.1887, but she later (in 1908) married Romuald Rukowicz.
Also checked the churches in Vilnius for the year 1909, and did not find Jadwiga.

Regards,
-Barb
laurienor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:52 pm      Post subject:

Hello there, thank you very much! So that name you provided, Romuald Rukowicz. According to the passenger records I have, Kazmira came to the United States in 1913 and her name on the manifest is Kazmira Rukovicz. Her daughter is on the manifest as Helene Rukowicz, not Jadwiga and it states they are going to meet R Rukowicz in the US. Below is the record for Helene. That last name is nothing like Belowich, now I am wondering if it is possible Michael Belowich came along later....

Person in Old Country M Romanovski
Person in Old Country Relationship Grandfather
Person in Old Country Residence Bujvidy, Wilno Russia
Person in US R Rukovicz
Person in US Relationship Father
Father R Rukovicz
Ship Name Bremen
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:43 pm      Post subject:

This is interesting. Can you download or link to Manifest for Helena?
-Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:27 pm      Post subject:

Hi again,
It looks like the pieces are falling into place. I have no explanation for how Romuald Rukowicz became Michael Belowich. Easy to change R to B, and k to l? But Romuald to Michael?
Bujwidy is the right place. Wilno was mentioned as a large and famous city in the area. Easier to find on the map, I think. It happens quite often but confuses searching.
Attaches 3 documents:
1. Birth record for Kazimiera Romanowska
2. Wedding record for Romuald Rukowicz and Kazimiera Romanowska
3. Birth record for Helena Rukowicz

1.Kazimiera Romanowska was born on January 15th, 1887 in Bujwidy parish Ejszyszki. A daughter of Klementy Romanowski and Ludwika Wasilewska. Baptized on February 1st in Ejaszyszki. The godparents were: Piotr Baranowski and Marianna the wife of Jan Burakowicz.

2. It happened on Juny 17th, 1908 in parish Ejszyszki.
This marriage was preceded by the three banns of marriage, on: Juny 1st, 8th and 15th.
Groom: Romuald Rukowicz, 36 years old, a son Józef Rukowicz and Anna nee Kaczkowska, living in ?Goreminy
Bride: Kazimiera Romanowska, 21 years old, a Klementy (Klemens) Romanowski and Ludwika Wasilewska, living in Bujwidy

3. Helena Rukowicz was born on Juny 1st, 1909 in Bujwidy parish Ejszyszki. A daughter of Romuald Rukowicz and Kazimiera Romanowska. Baptized on Juny 14th in Ejaszyszki. The godparents were: Feliks Kuleszo and Malwina the wife of Augustyn Romanowski.

Some of Kazimieras's siblings
Paulina born abt. 1892
Stanisława born abt. 1899
Elżbieta born abt. 1903
Romuald born abt. 1903

Some of Romualds's siblings
Antoni born abt. 1863
Franciszek born abt. 1866
Feliksa born abt. 1876
Felicjanna born 14.06.1880
Walentyna born 10.07.1886
Jozef born abt. 1888

Happy Easter!
Regards,
-Barb

Ejszyszki-Bujwidy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.35 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Ejszyszki-Bujwidy.jpg

laurienor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:45 am      Post subject:

That is incredible information, thank you! The more I look, the more I am starting to think Romuald Rukowicz is NOT Michael Belowich. I have his birth dates and he was not nearly as old as Romauld. He was born in 1884 and was only 5 years older than Kazmira, and Romauld was 15 years older. If my line of thinking is correct, Kazmira met Michael in the US after Romauld passed away and he then adopted Helene? I wonder if this is possible. You have given me a lot on my paternal side nad I am so appreciative, thank you, thank you!
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:34 am      Post subject:

laurienor wrote:
That is incredible information, thank you! The more I look, the more I am starting to think Romuald Rukowicz is NOT Michael Belowich. I have his birth dates and he was not nearly as old as Romauld. He was born in 1884 and was only 5 years older than Kazmira, and Romauld was 15 years older. If my line of thinking is correct, Kazmira met Michael in the US after Romauld passed away and he then adopted Helene? I wonder if this is possible. You have given me a lot on my paternal side nad I am so appreciative, thank you, thank you!

Hi,
You are welcome. It would be nice if Sophia or Trish could help you find the death record of Romuald Rukowicz. Have you checked the census? The three records I was supposed to attach were too large. Can send by email if you wish.

-Barb
laurienor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:24 am      Post subject:

Hello Barb,

I have checked the census and can only find a person by that name for the 1940 census in Jersey City, which does match the city he claimed he was going to on his ship manifest. But I can find nothing on his for the 30 years prior. It is quite the mystery. Michael Belowich is my actual grandfather, so I might just take a breather from Romauld and try to get back to Michael to clear my head a bit, lol.
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:35 pm      Post subject:

Hi Barb and Laurienor,

Did the family stay in New Jersey?

Here is the manifest for Kazmira and Helene. I need another set of eyes to look at the towns listed. They are on lines 8-9.

Name Helene Rukowicz
Gender Female
Ethnicity/ Nationality Polish
Marital Status Single
Age 3
Birth Date abt 1910
Birth Place Russia
Other Birth Place Bujwidi
Last Known Residence Bujwidy, Russia
Departure Port Bremen
Arrival Date 16 Jun 1913
Arrival Port New York, New York, USA

Regards,
Trish
Residence Place Russia
Final Destination N Y C, New York
Hair Color Brown
Eye Color Blue
Complexion Fair
Person in Old Country M Romanovski
Person in Old Country Relationship Grandfather
Person in Old Country Residence Bujvidy, Wilno Russia
Person in US R Rukovicz
Person in US Relationship Father
Father R Rukovicz
Ship Name Bremen

Helena Manifest Page 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  724.18 KB

Helena Manifest Page 1.jpg

Helena Manifest page 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  719.51 KB

Helena Manifest page  2.jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:58 pm      Post subject:

Hi Everyone,

Laurienor: Is this your family?

Name Helen Bilovich
Age 11
Birth Year abt 1909
Birthplace New York
Home in 1920 New Hartford, Oneida, New York
Street Chadwick Main St
Residence Date 1920
Race White
Gender Female
Relation to Head of House Daughter
Marital Status Single
Father's Name Mike Bilovich
Father's Birthplace Austria
Mother's Name Mary Bilovich
Mother's Birthplace Russia
Able to Speak English Yes
Attended School yes
Able to read Yes
Able to Write Yes
Household Members (Name) Age Relationship
Mike Bilovich 35 Head
Mary Bilovich 31 Wife
Mike Bilovich 5 Son
Stanly Bilovich 2 Son
Helen Bilovich 11 Daughter
Nicholas Costa 21 Boarder

This is the Social Security Application for Helena.
Name Helen Stella Belowich
[Helen Stella Grimaldi]
[Helen Grimaldi]
Gender Female
Race White
Birth Date 1 Jun 1909
Birth Place Wilno, Poland
Death Date Feb 1981
Father Michael Belowich
Mother Mary K Romanowski
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:01 pm      Post subject:

Hi Trish,
The place is called Bujwidy and belongs to the parish of Ejszyszki. But I would like to see if you can find anything about Michael Biełowicz/ Białowicz/ Belowich. A wedding record for him and Kasimira Rukowicz nee Romanowska, his death record, manifest, census. It is suspected that he married Kasimira.

Regards,
-Barb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: