PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:59 pm      Post subject: Józef Mytych, Katyń Victim

I am looking for additional information about Jozef Mytych b.1888 Kamien Podkarpackie. Murdered 1940. Below is what I have found online. But I find nothing about the fate of his wife (Helene Skowronska) and two children (Wislawa b. 1916 and Luiza). About the time he was married, he lived in Przemyśl. His extended family was from Kolbuzowa.

Józef MYTYCH - During the First World War in the Austrian army.
In the Polish Army from 1918. Participant in the fight for independence.
He served, among others, at CSPodof. Piech. in Chełmno (1923) (?)
DOK X(?) (1927) - as the head of the department and in the Auxiliary Squadron.
In in Krakow (1931–1932).
In the years 1925–1926, they attended a further training course for officers of the Silesian Corps.
Retired on June 30, 1934. Painter
( Compare with older July 1, 1927, assigned to the officer cadre of OK V. Awarded KW.)
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1035

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:36 am      Post subject: Re: Józef Mytych, Katyń Victim

MartaMisiaszek wrote:
I am looking for additional information about Jozef Mytych b.1888 Kamien Podkarpackie. Murdered 1940. Below is what I have found online. But I find nothing about the fate of his wife (Helene Skowronska) and two children (Wislawa b. 1916 and Luiza). About the time he was married, he lived in Przemyśl. His extended family was from Kolbuzowa.

In the years 1925–1926, they attended a further training course for officers of the Silesian Corps.
( Compare with older July 1, 1927, assigned to the officer cadre of OK V. Awarded KW.)

Hi Marta,

Just to add here a detail from our earlier conversation within the Latin Translations thread, there is a photo online, on Find A Grave, of Józef Mytych and his family:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/22391773/jozef-mytych
If you click on that photo, the name of his wife is given as Helene, just as you stated here (although in Polish language records I would expect to see it as Helena) and his daughters are listed as Luisa and Jadwiga rather than Luiza and Wislawa (perhaps that spelling should be Wiesława). How sure are you of the daughters names?

What is the source of the military info that you found online? You have a few questions marks in what you quoted, and I don't quite understand what is written there.

I will also add that Józef Mytych is on the list for Charkow which is often simply grouped together with the Katyn deaths:
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofiary_zbrodni_katy%C5%84skiej_%E2%80%93_zamordowani_w_Charkowie
https://www.polishexilesofww2.org/archival-lists-katyn-lists

Best regards,
Sophia
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 715

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:33 am      Post subject: Re: Józef Mytych, Katyń Victim

MartaMisiaszek wrote:

Hi Marta,
Here is some information about the family:
Helena Balbina Matych nee Skowronska was born on December 9th, 1894 in Kolbuszowa. She died January 24th, 1952 in Kraków. Buried at the Podgórski Cemetery in Kraków.

Józef Piotr Mytych was born on March 1st, 1888 in Przemyśl?*. A son of Piotr Mytych and Aniela nee Lenart. He died on April 1840, in Starobielsk near Charkow, Russia.

Children:
Jadwiga Matych was born on March 4th, 1918 in in Przemyśl. She died on May 25th, 1970 in Kraków. She was married to Stanisław Wenda. Buried at the Podgórski Cemetery in Kraków.
Helena Mytych was born on February 1st, 1922 in Przemyśl. She died on Mai 3rd, 1943 in Oświęcim (German concentration camp in Poland).
https://www.auschwitz.org/muzeum/informacja-o-wiezniach/

*he was not born in Kamień parish Jeżowe. There his younger siblings were born. His parents got married in 1882, and the first child in Kamien was born in 1890.

Regards,
-Barb

Krakow-Mytych.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.76 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Krakow-Mytych.jpg

Mytych Helena.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.94 KB

Mytych Helena.jpg

Last edited by BarbOslo on Sun May 05, 2024 3:01 am; edited 4 times in total
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1035

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:27 pm      Post subject:

Barb, you are amazing, as always!
So it looks like both the wife and the daughter were named Helena? And there is no Luiza or Wieslawa?
Did you find a year of death for Helena Balbina Mytych, nee Skowronska?
I wish you a very happy weekend!
Sophia
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:01 pm      Post subject:

Sophia,
Helena Balbina Mytych, nee Skowronska died in 1952. I see I forgot to note the year.
Have a nice weekend,
-Barb
MartaMisiaszek

Post Posted: 5 Days ago at 4:38 pm      Post subject:

Barb and Sophia

How have you done this work? Thank you thank you! I will rest a little easier knowing that some of Jozef's family survived the war.

My husband's family never spoke about its Polish roots. ( an abusive family member made memories sour). When our aunt died, we found that she had kept in touch with many family members around Kolbusowa and saved documents, photos, and letters dating back to 1915. ( I posted the picture of Jozef Mytych on Find a Grave) A living relative in Kolbuszowa had even compiled a family tree (but no sources). Unfortunately, the recent letters (all in Polish) stopped 25 to 20 years ago and I can only find one living relative in Kutno. She speaks some English but has no internet or cell phone. We write letters

I am so proud to do this work, but I have had to learn a lot. My family has been in the US for some time and my father researched and published books about our lineage.

I will follow up with more questions about how you found Helena and the girls. Bless you![/u]
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: 5 Days ago at 1:16 am      Post subject:

MartaMisiaszek wrote:
Barb and Sophia

How have you done this work? Thank you thank you! I will rest a little easier knowing that some of Jozef's family survived the war.

My husband's family never spoke about its Polish roots. ( an abusive family member made memories sour). When our aunt died, we found that she had kept in touch with many family members around Kolbusowa and saved documents, photos, and letters dating back to 1915. ( I posted the picture of Jozef Mytych on Find a Grave) A living relative in Kolbuszowa had even compiled a family tree (but no sources). Unfortunately, the recent letters (all in Polish) stopped 25 to 20 years ago and I can only find one living relative in Kutno. She speaks some English but has no internet or cell phone. We write letters

I am so proud to do this work, but I have had to learn a lot. My family has been in the US for some time and my father researched and published books about our lineage.

I will follow up with more questions about how you found Helena and the girls. Bless you![/u]

Hi,
It was surprisingly easy work, although it seemed almost impossible to find anything. I can say I was lucky. I started by building a Lenart family tree to see if I can match other trees. I entered Jozef, Helena and daughters Wislawa/Wieslawa and Luiza/Ludwika, and unfortunately did not get any matches.
You mentioned that the family lived in Krakow. Then I checked the cemeteries in Krakow and quickly found Helena's grave. She was buried with her daughter and son-in-law. Then I got two things at once. Helena and daughter ……Jadwiga as Sophia mentioned in her last post.
This gave me matches with a few other family trees on MyHeritage, which also had other Lenart members.
There I also found another daughter named Helena, who lost her life in Oswiecim. And that Jadwiga was called Wisia (Jadwisia) by the family. This explains why you mentioned the name Wislawa. Artur Ziajko has done a good job of building up this Wenda family. You can contact him if you want to know more about Wisia's (Jadwiga) family.
The two girls were born in Przemysl.
So, I guess that's the right match.

Regards,
-Barb
MartaMisiaszek

Post Posted: 23 hours ago at 1:53 pm      Post subject:

Barb

Barb,

Here is my confusion with the girls names. See the postcard below and the inscription on the back. I am unsure if I am looking at three daughters? Jadwiga, Luiza and Helena. Or are Helena and Luiza one and the same.? You have shared an incredible gift

Also- My Heritage? I have been using Ancestry and when I tried (free trial) My Heritage there was so much more information about the family names in Poland. How do I work with both and not spend a fortune? I have been doing much of my Polish research with Geneteka and now Polish Origins.

Martha

Mytych Jozef and Helena.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.74 KB

Mytych Jozef and Helena.jpeg

MYTYCH Jozef and family 1931.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  355.44 KB

MYTYCH Jozef and family 1931.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: 22 hours ago at 3:29 pm      Post subject:

MartaMisiaszek wrote:
Barb

Barb,

Here is my confusion with the girls names. See the postcard below and the inscription on the back. I am unsure if I am looking at three daughters? Jadwiga, Luiza and Helena. Or are Helena and Luiza one and the same.? You have shared an incredible gift

Also- My Heritage? I have been using Ancestry and when I tried (free trial) My Heritage there was so much more information about the family names in Poland. How do I work with both and not spend a fortune? I have been doing much of my Polish research with Geneteka and now Polish Origins.

Martha

Hi Martha,
Yes, what is written behind the picture explains everything. Two girls' names are: Wisia and Lusia (not Luiza).
Jadwiga – Jadwisia
Helena – Helusia
In addition, Helena's date and place of birth match.
Then the matter is explained. In Poland, parents often call their children with several variations of the real name. A more endearing version.
For example. My daughter's name is Caroline. For my Polish family, her name is Karolina. But she was called by great-grandmother and grandmother: Karolinka, Kalinka, Kalinusia, Linusia.

-Barb

Last edited by BarbOslo on 21 hours ago at 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: 21 hours ago at 4:09 pm      Post subject:

When it comes to the choice between MyHeritage, Ancestry, and Familysearch, you have to choose one. When I started building my tree I didn't know about Ancestry and FamilySearch. Today I would choose FamilySearch. Maybe it is easier to get more hits with Polish names with MyHeritage. Poles still use MyHeritage to a greater extent.
You say that you have done a lot of your Polish research with Geneteka and Polish Origins. How many generations of Dymitrowski and Lenart did you manage to find?

Regards,
-Barb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: