PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:18 pm      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
Hi Helena! I am excited to meet you. Please tell me more about your Herda family. I am working on our family tree and would love to hear more from you, my new cousin! Do you know the names of the mother and father of your g-g-father Ludwig?

Helen - I just realized something....... you are Bill's wife, aren't you? I spoke with him on the phone last week!
Shellie
HelenaStromidlo

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:24 pm      Post subject:

Parents of Ludwig Herda are Michal (Michael)Herda and Maria Stromidlo. That 's how our family tree begins on : bliscy.pl And yes I am Bill's wife.
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:37 pm      Post subject:

Hi Helena! I would like to talk with you soon. Can you please tell me what is bliscy.pl? My version of the family tree also starts with Michal Herda and Maria Stromidlo. I am hoping to go further back. Let's talk soon! Shellie
All Polska

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:01 pm      Post subject:

WOW Shellie & Helena, your posts captured my interest. I'm researching my dad's family from Polish Austria and the last name is HEREDA, just an extra e before the d........I wonder if there is any connection?
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:53 pm      Post subject:

There might be a connection - can you please give us more details about your family? My Herda ancestors lived near Huta Rozaniecka, Poland - not far from the Ukraine border. Tell me more about your family.
All Polska

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:16 pm      Post subject:

My paternal grandfather was Franz Hereda born 15 Sept. 1884 in Kimonv in Zalicia. He married Pretryica Yorkov in Polish Austria. Pretryica was born 2 May 1885. Their 1st child was a girl Wanda born 4 Sept (either 1908 or 1910). Franz served in the Austrian Army with Emperor Franz Usef. In 1911 Franz traveled to the USA via Ellis Island. On the ship's manifest it stated: he was from Czechowitz, Austria. (Later in Pennsylvania the Hereda's attended St. Mary of Czechowa Catholic Church) He was going to White Glen, VA as a coal miner, as was the man on the line above him Carl Zinr/Zivr. Franz' nearest relative was his wife who was staying with her uncle in Dziedzitz, Galicia. Carl's wife, Marge, was staying in (Z/S)afrzeg Dziedzitz Galicia, Austria. The family states that Pretryica stayed because her baby was due in Dec. She had a boy, Musczyslaw on 6 Dec 1911.

Franz returned to accompany his family to the USA arriving via Ellis Island in June 1913. The ship's manifest stated that he lived in Pittsburgh, PA 1912-1913. His brother Josef emmigrated with his wife Catherine & a son vincent via Nova Scotia, crossing the Canadian/America border.
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:35 am      Post subject:

Hi All Polska,
I wouldn't rule out any kind of clue - we just might find that our Herda family is the same. Right now, however, I don't know where else they might have lived besides the area of Huta Rozaniecka in eastern Poland near the Ukraine border. Where is Czechowitz? My Herda's arrived in Pittsburgh around 1904 and lived in the Pittsburgh suburb of Snowden township/ Broughton.
All Polska

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:23 pm      Post subject:

Shellie,
Here is a link to Czestochowa, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cz%C4%99stochowa

Andrea
jozefs
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 173

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:31 pm      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
If there is a member here who can help translate these, you would make my day...........no my entire year

Kochana Nusiu!
Donoszę Ci, że ja będę w Pittsburgu we środę, lecz nie wiem czy się będziemy mogli widzieć, bo ja się we środę matki spodziewam, lecz gdyby matka nie przyjechała, to ja będę na ciebie czekał koło hotelu, a gdyby mnie tam nie było, to możesz wiedzieć że (moja) matka przyjechała.
Twój zawsze ten sam
F. Teodor

Dear Nusiu!
Beg to advise you that I will be in Pittsburgh on Wednesday, but did not know whether to be able to see because I was expectingmothers on Wednesday, but if the mother did not come, I'll be waiting for you at the hotel, and if I was not there, then you know that(my) mother came.
Your always the same
Theodore F.

Kochany Teodor
List od Ciebie otrzymałam ale Ci nie mam czasu odpisać.
Nasze fotografie mam mieć i to teraz przypadło (?)
Kiedy chcesz to możesz przyjechać do mnie to się wszystko dowiesz (?)
Zasyłam Ci serdeczne pozdrowienia i kochane serce ...? KKK xxxxxx
A... Rebizent

Dear Theodore
I received a letter from you but you do not have time to write back.
The photos I have and is now accounted for(?)
When you want you can come to me, it's all you will (?)
Sending you warm greetings and loving heart ...? KKK xxxxxx
A. .. Rebizent

Droga Niusiu
Donoszę Ci że do domu przyszedłem pół do drugiej, ale mi się szło bardzo dobrze, bo było sucho, a nie było ani za ciepło, ani też za zimno, tylko jak to mówią: „w sam raz ojca powiesili”
Bądź zdrowa aż do miłego zobaczyska.
Ferenc Teodor

Ja tam będę w sobotę na wieczór.
Chociaż krótko spałem, lecz smacznie. Tylko sen miałem bardzo ucieszny.

Dear Niusiu.
Beg you, that came home to the second half, but I went very well, because it was dry, and there was neither too hot nor too cold, just as they say, "just in time her father was hanged '
Be well until nice to see.
Ferenc Theodore

I'll be there on Saturday night.
While I slept briefly, but tasty. Just a dream I had a very droll.

All Polska

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:08 pm      Post subject:

Shellie,
My Hereda grandfather began in White Glen, VA, working in the coal mine. Then when his wife and 2 children came to America, they lived in several Green County, Pennsylvania towns, down near "Little Washington" or Washington, PA, very close to the Pennsylvania/Maryland border. All of those towns were in Pennsylvania (PA). At some point, my grandfather was involved in a mining accident in which he had his right leg amputated. The family then moved to New Kensington, PA. New Kensington is a town on the Allegheny River, about 20 miles north of Pittsburgh, PA

In New Kensington, PA they purchased a large building with an indoor hallway to the back yard, which was all cement & had a small single family house behind it. They opened a shoe store in the front downstairs of the large house. Then they opened a cafe in which they served food and alcohol. (Years later, my father, Andrew Hereda, rented space in that building from his parents. The first floor of that large, very long building housed my dad's plumbing shop, with display room, display cabinets of plumbing supplies & office. Behind that was our apartment's kitchen, family room & formal living room. Upstairs in the back of the building was our bathroom & 2 bedrooms. The space in front of our second floor, had a long apartment in which my dad's sister-in-law's parents lived.)

When a coal mine closed in a rural area south of New Kensington, called Kinloch, my grandparents purchased the coal mine's property and buildings. Eventually this area became a Borough & then a city called Lower Burrell, PA. My grandparents lived in the coal mine's office building with a huge walk in safe that was 2 stories tall with shelving and drawers on both sides all the way to the top of the second story. The mine's Store was divided into 2 floors with an indoor basketball court above the store. My father, & his crew, divided the upper story into 12 bedrooms, a long walk in linen closet & 2 bathrooms. That level had 3 attics above it. It was called "Hereda's Hotel". A bar with tables & booths for serving food daily, at banquets, & weddings, a dance floor, plus a lobby (television room) and huge kitchen were on the first floor. Years later, my dad built a 6 unit motel beside the hotel & divided the mine's office building into two large apartments, one on each floor.

Well, that is where my Hereda family lived. All of the children lived nearby, except the youngest son who lived in Ohio. We were all very close and spent every Sunday & holiday (plus many days in between) at "the hotel!" The Polish traditions of Wigilia at Christmas, the blessing of the baskets at Easter, etc. were lived. It was a great way to grow up.

We all attended the Polish Catholic Church, St. Mary of Czestochowa, which was located in New Kensington. Many of my cousins also went to St. Mary's Catholic School, as I did. As I already said, "It was a great way to grow up in the love & nurture of the whole family with all the Polish traditions."
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:07 pm      Post subject:

jozefs wrote:

Kochana Nusiu!
Donoszę Ci, że ja będę w Pittsburgu we środę, lecz nie wiem czy się będziemy mogli widzieć, bo ja się we środę matki spodziewam, lecz gdyby matka nie przyjechała, to ja będę na ciebie czekał koło hotelu, a gdyby mnie tam nie było, to możesz wiedzieć że (moja) matka przyjechała.
Twój zawsze ten sam
F. Teodor

Dear Nusiu!
Beg to advise you that I will be in Pittsburgh on Wednesday, but did not know whether to be able to see because I was expectingmothers on Wednesday, but if the mother did not come, I'll be waiting for you at the hotel, and if I was not there, then you know that(my) mother came.
Your always the same
Theodore F.

Jozefs - I can't thank you enough for your generous translation. The first postcard is very interesting because it mentions the arrival of "mother." My great-great grandmother arrived from Poland with the rest of the family in March 1913. I wrote about it here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=436&sid=a3d1d39b2fe300488c2631139b501e9c

This is most certainly the event that Teodor mentions in the postcard, which is also dated March 1913!

I am quite lucky to have these wonderful pieces of my family history. Thank you for helping me.
Shellie
Shellie

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:53 pm      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
In the 1940's, My great-aunt visited her cousins in Canada and last week my cousin and I found her vacation photos - but no names were written on the backs. We were quite frustrated because we could not determine the exact location of the vacation nor whether the cousins were on her fathers side or mother's side of the family. Shortly afterward, my cousin found a book belonging to my great-grandfather and it had a Rebizant family name and address in Cooks Creek, Manitoba, Canada. It was very unlikely that the photos were related to the address, but we figured that even a small lead could result in some success. With a little searching for the name and town online, I quickly realized that I had already connected a cousin when I posted a query on ancestry.com. I just didn't have enough information yet to connect us. I posted my photos there and hoped that someone would recognize someone in the photos. If you are curious, you can read the thread here: http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.northam.canada.manitoba.general/7922.3/mb.ashx
I also began to search online for Rebizant family in Cooks Creek and found some obituaries and family names. Thank goodness for the internet and Facebook because within a day I located more family and was talking on the phone with my new-found cousins.

I hope that all members of Polish Origins are lucky enough to have an experience like this. Just last month I was afraid I would never get past my brick wall. I have learned now that I should never ignore even the small hints, no matter how trivial you never know what you will uncover!

I recently traveled to Manitoba to attend a Rebizant family reunion with my new-found cousins! These Rebizant cousins were related to me several generations back - we are all descended from
Mikołaj (Nicholas) Rebizant (born 1814) and Maria Wazny who married in 1838 and lived in Huta Rozaniecka. Their son Piotr emigrated to Manitoba and their other son Ilko had 3 daughters that emigrated to Pittsburgh, PA. One of these daughters was my great-grandmother Anna Rebizant.

In September 2011 I'll be traveling to my ancestral villages and hope to find more clues about my Rebizant family!

Last edited by Shellie on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:37 pm      Post subject:

I'm so happy to share the news that I just returned from a visit to my great-grandmother's birthplace in Rebizanty, Poland - now called Huta Sumy. It was so beautiful and I met my cousin who still lives in the house where my great-grandmother was born!!!! The village lies along the river Tanew and this river was once the boundary between Poland and Russia I was told!

I traveled with some wonderful Rebizants from Manitoba who were actually born there. We could not find a common ancestor, but suspect that we would someday find proof that we are related.

Update November 2013: And we did prove to be related. Greek Catholic church records provided enough evidence to show that we share a common ancestor - My 4x great grandfather Theodor Rebizant!

Tanew.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.43 MB
 Viewed:  8889 Time(s)

Tanew.JPG

Last edited by Shellie on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:36 am      Post subject: Rebizant & Rebizanty

Hi Shellie,

Your new photo is beautiful!! Thanks for posting it and I hope we will see more of your photos of this recent visit to Poland.

What is the connection between your family name of Rebizant and the village name of Rebizanty????

MaryAnne
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Rebizant & Rebizanty

MDuplaga wrote:
Hi Shellie,

Your new photo is beautiful!! Thanks for posting it and I hope we will see more of your photos of this recent visit to Poland.

What is the connection between your family name of Rebizant and the village name of Rebizanty????

MaryAnne

Hi MaryAnne,
I just realized that I didn't respond to your question. Actually, we have no idea what the connection may be. We recently hired a researcher to get some Greek Catholic records for us and we were shocked to find that in the late 1700's and early 1800's our family surname was Lewkowicz. We are now trying to figure it all out - it's quite a mystery because by the time my great-grandmother was born, none of the family was using the Lewkowicz surname.

Sadly, I can't ask my new-found cousin about this - she passed away earlier this month. I am so fortunate that I make the trip to see her this past fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

Jump to: