My Journey to Poland. Day 2.

We were given hot cloths to freshen up, and served breakfast again with all real dishes etc., had juice, coffee, and a turkey and ham on a croissant.

We arrived in Frankfurt, Germany. As we got off the plane I realized we were walking off on the tarmac and not into the terminal, as I had reviewed on the computer at home. Now what! I got on the double long bus with everyone else, not knowing where I was going. So at this point I decided what the heck, I probably will never see these people again, and asked if anyone spoke English! A very nice couple behind me answered and said they were familiar with the airport and explained the monitors are to the left as you enter the building.

I followed the crowd as we got off the bus and viewed the ever changing monitors and found the gate I was to go to following the signs, I walked what seemed to me to be about 3 miles, only to have to go through customs who stamped my passport and security again, who took away my water bottle I had purchased in Detroit, which was unopened. At this point I decided I was going to purchase a carry on that had wheels on it! Finally on to my gate and in time to make my flight, on which we were served a lunch salad and beverage.

Arriving in Poland at last! To get my luggage was yet again another long walk. After walking out to arrival, I met my guide Zenon Znamirowski; he allowed me to use his cell phone to call Ron and let him know I am here. Zenon drove to Lomza; we stopped on way to have lunch to what appeared to be a hunting lodge. I had zurek soup (sour rye), which consists of kielbasa, hard-boiled egg, vegetables and broth, served with rye bread, and was very good.

As our drive continued through which appeared to be a highway through a forest, reminding me a lot of northern Michigan; I noticed peddlers on the side of the rode selling berries and other food items, I also noticed young girls scantly dressed, and without me asking Zenon replied that prostitution is legal in Poland! I was shocked as Poland is almost all Catholic.

We drove directly to Jon Zalewski’s home (the husband of my late cousin Irena Korytkowska). He wanted us to stay there, but I was not comfortable with that (as I had an asthma attack due to his 4 cats); we explained that we had already made some traveling plans. He went with us to meet Marianna Korytkowska, Irena’s half sister. We were greeted with an angry no,  and asked to come back tomorrow at 6pm. I was a little confused by this, and thought perhaps she does not like me. Jon insisted that we go to the cemetery where Irena is buried. I took several pictures of the graves of Irena, her sister Krystna, and Kazimerz their father, my uncle.

Kazimierz, my uncle.
Lomza Cemetery at Mikolaja street
Lomza Cemetery at Mikolaja street.
At the fresh grave of Jon's wife Irena.
At the fresh grave of Jon’s wife Irena.
Irena died only a few months before my visit..
Irena died only a few months before my visit..

After taking Jon home and promising to return soon for coffee, we went to the B&B Mohito in Lomza to check in, my room was on the 3rd floor; with a private bath and single bed and a window. I realized there is no air-conditioning and only a fan! The window, which is 1 pane of glass, opens 2 different ways, to the side or from the top and there are no screens (apparently this is common throughout Poland), they usually just use a sheer curtain at the door for a screen.

After settling in, we went for dinner at Barnowski’s lodge; I had Pork chop, kraut, boiled potatoes. My first impression of Zenon is he reminds me of my son Bob, but very quite, unless you are speaking of a topic of his interest; I’ve decided I am going to have to ask questions about everything if I want information. After dinner I went for a walk on my own and back to the B&B completely exhausted.

Mary Ann Baillargeon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *